Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is it time for a "Liberty Manifesto"?

This post has 234 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Keep your head up!

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Is that Carrot Top?

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

LibertyPatriot:

Wilderness asked how a government gets its operating funds.

I asked how the government decides on the tax number (percentage).

?

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

wilderness:

LibertyPatriot:

?

It is probably derived from some Flat/Fair Tax estimate.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

In breaking news, it seems as though the American past time is passing on some of its vices onto the nonchalant sports of the US. We have just received word that failing comedian Carrot Top has taken up using HGH in order to pump up his dismal prop act. Now if the audiance does not laugh, Carrot Top will start throwing his props at the crowd at a velocity of mach 2.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Laughing Man:

Is that Carrot Top?

Yes it is. My apologies, but this thread is stupid.

--

I have a problem with "radical libertarians" that aren't much better than this lol-manifesterian in discussing the tax issue. I don't advocate taxation, but this shouldn't blind me to realizing the nature of its forms. Rothbard is correct that a "flat/fair" tax would just be a new avenue for seizing wealth, but his analysis of George's land value tax is faulty. We would undeniably be better off in a less centralized state with a LVT instead of one with whatever draw. That we will be immediately free of state-like commercial entities is an unrealistic assumption. There's worth in realizing the past "successes" of a LVT as a model for new systems of  management.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

yoshimura:
Any books to recommend on that topic?

Tom DiLorenzo has an essay on the history of private turnpikes and the like.  I have no idea what it is called, but I suspect it would be in his Mises media gallery in PDF form.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

E. R. Olovetto:

...aren't much better than this lol-manifesterian in discussing the tax issue. I don't advocate taxation...

I don't think you realize my strategy.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

wilderness:

E. R. Olovetto:

...aren't much better than this lol-manifesterian in discussing the tax issue. I don't advocate taxation...

I don't think you realize my strategy.Smile

I concur. It is the witching hour for me, so I will address your concerns post haste.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

E. R. Olovetto:

I concur. It is the witching hour for me, so I will address your concerns post haste.

I'm sure you can address them.Yes  I can address them.Yes  Yet, I'm not sure LibertyPatriot could have addressed them.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:46 AM

Laughing Man:

wilderness:

LibertyPatriot:

?

It is probably derived from some Flat/Fair Tax estimate.

Is that an arbitrary estimate?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Conza88:

laminustacitus:
I believe that if one believes that property rights are inalienable, then one must be a pacifist, and violate the property rights of no one. 

And I'm not seeing anything at all new in your statement, that which hasn't already been refuted.

The Right to Self Defense

The link is broken.

Conza88:

laminustacitus:
It thus follows that ideologies are the cloaks of every single movement in history, not just that of the state. Without belief that the ideology is true, or at least advantageous, the movement will fail. 

Not all ideologies seek to cloak. Others seek to expose and enlighten.

All ideologies seek to cloak their movement in truth - whether it is true, or not does not matter. No ideology is merely offensive, all seek to defend some ideal as being true, and are hence cloaks.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I fixed the links.

laminustacitus:
All ideologies seek to cloak their movement in truth - whether it is true, or not does not matter. No ideology is merely offensive, all seek to defend some ideal as being true, and are hence cloaks.

speak for yourself. 

oh you did.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

wilderness:

Pretty much.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Laughing Man:

wilderness:

Pretty much.

therefore if he hung out here long enough he would have admitted what he stands for is not liberty - but arbitrary despotism, I believe those were his definitions.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

wilderness:
therefore if he hung out here long enough he would have admitted what he stands for is not liberty - but arbitrary despotism, I believe those were his definitions.

Hence why I said 'Hey look, Conservative idiology.'

Big Smile

I just have to give my props for saying/deducing that to God, then my family, then to my personal liberty of thought.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Laughing Man:

wilderness:

Hence why I said 'Hey look, Conservative idiology.'

Big Smile

I just have to give my props for saying/deducing that to God, then my family, then to my personal liberty of thought.

I know he was a conservative too.  I wanted him to wonder into a philosophical trap due to lack of vision in seeing it coming.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,750
tacoface replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:48 PM

E. R. Olovetto:

yoshimura:

liberty student:
"Who will build the roads?" completely unaware that the original American roads were all private, and most of the American state infrastructure in the form of rail, roads and canals was built simply to provide graft and payola to people politically connected.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14140118/The-Privatization-of-Roads-and-Highways-Walter-Block

--

Voluntarism is unweildy? Unweildy like a thousand page+ socialized medicine bill which the criminals legislating it don't seem to have time to read?

Libertarianism is simple. Walking up to people along the street and punching them in the face is wrong, now how do we deal with it. Voluntarism is the acknowlegement that anarchy at some point requires an end to (under a certain definition) political processes, and the desire to achieve it peacefully.

guy, i was talking about the term voluntaryism.

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 1,480
yoshimura replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 8:21 PM

E. R. Olovetto:

yoshimura:

liberty student:
"Who will build the roads?" completely unaware that the original American roads were all private, and most of the American state infrastructure in the form of rail, roads and canals was built simply to provide graft and payola to people politically connected.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14140118/The-Privatization-of-Roads-and-Highways-Walter-Block

Thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 870

[NOTE:  was unable to log back in under original forum name]

Wilderness wrote:  "therefore if he hung out here long enough he would have admitted what he stands for is not liberty - but arbitrary despotism, I believe those were his definitions."

Sir, what I stand for is Liberty, and a reasonable and small government to do those things beyond that which the people can do for themselves. I believe in the Constitution, with any amendments which are ratified by the people.

Despotism is a form of government by a single authority, either an individual or tightly knit group, which rules with absolute political power (wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despotism).  This is not a form of governance by and for the people -- which is where I stand.

I stand for nothing beyond a simpler, fairer government, formed by and for the people to do things beyond that what they may do themselves.  Clear?

Question for Wilderness:  How can you be efficient, and not arbitrary in your processes without some leadership and management?

--------

Juan asked: "And you are the voice of god eh?"
No, and neither are you.  That's the point.  The rights of Life and Liberty are granted by the Maker, not some arbitrary ruler, or group.

How else would you defend against arbitrary control?

--------

Laminustacitus wrote"  "All ideologies seek to cloak their movement in truth - whether it is true, or not does not matter. No ideology is merely offensive, all seek to defend some ideal as being true, and are hence cloaks."

The Truth, by definition, is a cloak of nothing.

So, sir, since you speak of Truth as though you may recognize it, please tell us what Truth is?

---------

Wilderness asked (after correcting me that he was asking how a government decides on a fair percentage, not where the Gov. gets its funds):  Is that an arbitrary estimate? (regarding Laughing Man's mention of Flat versus Fair taxes).

The people should set the percentage based on what they want the government to do for them.  IE., build a Navy, etc.  And no, I do not support temporary mercenary forces, but instead advocate an armed force sworn to the republic and the people.

Do you believe it is not possible for the people, to voluntarily form a government management group which will act in a consistent and principled manner and so do the work requested by the people efficiently?

-----------

filc asked three questions (forwarding on what he believed were important topics from other posters):

1. What is voluntary about the social contract with a government? 2. What voluntary rights do citizen's have against their government? 3. How is this NOT forced upon them at birth?

1. The social contract, after a people have voluntarily formed a government (as in the Founders of America), becomes voluntary for those born later in this way:  They can leave the country, or they can work from within to reform it.

2. First, I answer this question, with another:  Why would one require "voluntary rights against their government", if they put it in place in the first place? 

But today, since it's clear that we do in fact require rights against an over-sized government, my answer is to look to the Constitution.  Within it is the right to petition the government with grievances.

3. Your third question is a variation of #1, and so my answer is consistent:  the government is NOT forced upon a person at birth because the person can decide to leave the country, or work to reform it from within.  And, there is a court system in which to address injustice.

Question for filc:  why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?

------------

AJ asked: 
Can everyone in the territory choose not to be citizens? 
Yes.  They can leave the country. 

If I follow you around with a gun and protect you from your enemies and send you my bill, will you be fine paying that?
No.  You have not been requested to fulfill that function via the will of the people.

Is the Manifesto Opt in/Opt out?
It's up for debate, and of course you are free, still today, to not subscribe to some or all of what will be the final principles in the Manifesto.

Question for AJ:  If the people, in good faith, have chosen to form a government for good reasons, as our founders did and explained in the Constitution, then why would you have a problem with it?

-------------

E. R. Olovetto asks no questions, and instead proclaims, "this thread is stupid."

How is it "stupid"?

-------------------

QUESTION FOR ALL:  Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 5:16 PM

PatriotforFreedom:
Sir, what I stand for is Liberty, and a reasonable and small government to do those things beyond that which the people can do for themselves. I believe in the Constitution, with any amendments which are ratified by the people.

I'm not sure if your deliberately avoiding our perspective and viewpoint because you know we are right or because you do not yet understand it. However you have stated again in the same sentence that you believe in liberty AND government. You have completly ignored our argument where we state government and freedom are not complimentary but in fact in conflict with each other. Untill you understand our point of view your argument will just get routed around the wheel forever. Eventually the you will have to give up and agree to disagree.

PatriotforFreedom:
1. The social contract, after a people have voluntarily formed a government (as in the Founders of America), becomes voluntary for those born later in this way:  They can leave the country, or they can work from within to reform it.

Without realizing it you have just granted a defensive argument which defends the Nazi's actions against the Jew's during the holocaust. After all, those Jew’s were born into that system and according to you auto-consenting to this pseudo-contract. In other words it was completely within the states’ rights to murder those Jews and it was of no loss to personal liberty to the Jew to die in such a way, as it was completely morally, ethically, and legally in the right to do so. That is basically what you are advocating when you defend "Social-Contracts inhiret at birth". 

We beleive that individual's must competantly consent to a contract, that blanket social-contracts are unjustifiable. This is the same argument Communists use to direct people's labor.

I'll repeat myself. Democracy is like 3 wolves and 2 sheep trying to decide what to have for dinner. You really need to consider the full consequences of what you’re advocating.

PatriotforFreedom:
Question for filc:  why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?

I'm scared because it justifies murder, theft, genocide, and worse. I think those are good reasons to be scared. I'm also scared because government is immediately destructive to an economy and does not allow me to live as prosperous as I otherwise would be able to do so.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

LibertyPatriot:
Hello -

Thanks for your review and comment.  Isn't the Constitution a "social construct"?  If so, I take it you then would swear no allegiance to it.

What then, sir, are you left with for allegiance?

Liberty.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

PatriotforFreedom:
QUESTION FOR ALL:  Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?
No, you have to show that with a government that will happen. Further, you have to show that governments can be philosophically justifiable WITHOUT fallacies, blatant assertions, or smuggled premises.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

PatriotforFreedom:
Your third question is a variation of #1, and so my answer is consistent:  the government is NOT forced upon a person at birth because the person can decide to leave the country, or work to reform it from within.  And, there is a court system in which to address injustice.

Funny how such a claim violates the right to property you supposedly hold dear.  You presuppose that the government's right to maintain its monopoly over land it never aqcuired is in fact more important then an individual's right to live peacably on his/her land without molestation by the government.

In the words of Samuel Seabury "Oh rare America freedom"

Not Ranked
Posts 68
Points 1,240
Fluery replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 7:18 PM

PatriotforFreedom:
why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?

Because it, and the whole "love it or leave it" nonsense, ends up being a blank check for a systematic abuse of rights.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:40 PM
PatriotForFreedom:
Juan asked: "And you are the voice of god eh?"
No, and neither are you. That's the point. The rights of Life and Liberty are granted by the Maker, not some arbitrary ruler, or group.

How else would you defend against arbitrary control?
I do believe in individual rights though I don't think they are granted by some theistic authority. If you personally think that's the case, fine. Still, I don't see why a political document should invoke theological matters.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:49 PM

PatriotforFreedom:

That is like asking me how grocery stores are always stocked with just the right items 24 hours a day.  I do not work in the grocery store business, but apparently by magic, it does happen.  It has been coined the invisible hand.  If you have not taken the time to research it, then all you can do is argue from ignorance.

Now, you please explain to me how a government that does not have consent of the governed will ever be restrained?

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 9:09 PM

By constitution! Because the constitution will bite anyone who violates it Wink

If I hear not allowed much oftener; said Sam, I'm going to get angry.

J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

PatriotforFreedom:
This is not a form of governance by and for the people -- which is where I stand.

If you believe in individual liberty, that statement is anathema to it.  The only form of governance by and for, is self-governance, or anarchy.  That is the only true form of governance by "the people".  When they govern themselves.

PatriotforFreedom:
The rights of Life and Liberty are granted by the Maker, not some arbitrary ruler, or group.

If you believe in that, then you subscribe to natural rights theory.  Which means that all rights belong to men, through their maker, and those men CHOOSE to delegate rights at their own prerogative.  It also means you support the right of secession, not just of states, but of individuals from a political regime.  It means you understand that without individuals, there is no government, and the government legitimately exists only where individuals will it.

This, is very nearly anarchism.

PatriotforFreedom:
The people should set the percentage based on what they want the government to do for them.

How can the people do that?  Democracy?  The Founders considered it the tyranny of the majority.  How can you on one hand claim natural rights through a maker, and then arbitrary democracy to violate those property rights of individuals (extraction of taxes by violence)?

PatriotforFreedom:

That is a love it or leave it argument.  It is not consistent with natural rights (the maker) theory.  Again, read the Declaration.  All men have inalienable rights.  Government is created by the people, when they give consent.  When they withdraw consent, the government doesn't crowd them out and make them move to Mexico.  America is millions of Americans, not the American government for crissakes.

PatriotforFreedom:
Why would one require "voluntary rights against their government", if they put it in place in the first place? 

You need to read the Kentucky Resolutions written by Jefferson.  The right of secession and nullification is the people's (through their state) check and balance on runaway government.

PatriotforFreedom:

Because it is tyranny writ large.  There is no "the people".  There are individuals.  You can't be an anti-socialist, and then make collectivist justifications for nationalism.  It's completely irrational.

PatriotforFreedom:
Can everyone in the territory choose not to be citizens? 
Yes.  They can leave the country. 

Why?  Why must the citizens who own property, be forced to leave when the government does not represent them?  By that justification, the Founders should not have revolted against King George III but they should have moved to another place.  Is that really your position?  That America is an illegitimate country, founded by people who had no right to their property AND self-determination?

PatriotforFreedom:
E. R. Olovetto asks no questions, and instead proclaims, "this thread is stupid."

How is it "stupid"?

Your complete inability to embrace more than the kindergarten version of the Founders myth and Constitution worship.  You have no conception of history, natural rights, classic liberalism, anarchism, abolition, secession, etc.

PatriotforFreedom:
Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?

It wouldn't.  It is impossible to render efficient and consistent justice for all.  The state can only do it by threatening violence.  In a free market, justice will come from a strong theory of property rights, enforced by contract and arbitration, before it comes down to violence.  In most cases, problems will be solved before anyone has to get hurt, or more property rights violations have to occur.

The state is a myth.

You really need to read some Tom Woods.  Or watch his 10 part video lecture series hosted here, and relearn the history of your country and it's foundinge.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 870

Thank you for the honest questions, and opportunity to debate in the best interests of education.

==========================

filc asked:  "I'm not sure if your deliberately avoiding our perspective and viewpoint because you know we are right or because you do not yet understand it.?"

Of course sir, it is yet another possibility which you chose not to list:  I disagree with your position.

filc states:  "You have completly ignored our argument where we state government and freedom are not complimentary but in fact in conflict with each other."

To be clear, I have not ignored it.  It is my position that free persons, once agreed in the value of forming a government, will by nature of the agreement concede some liberties to well-reasoned and just laws in the service of law and order.

filc proposes:  "In other words it was completely within the states’ rights to murder those Jews and it was of no loss to personal liberty to the Jew to die in such a way, as it was completely morally, ethically, and legally in the right to do so."

In fact, sir, I have stated nothing of the kind, unless you believe that within the Consitution of the United States, the government is given license to murder entire ethnic groups of citizens.  Is that your position?

filc answers the question, why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?
"I'm scared because it justifies murder, theft, genocide, and worse."

Please cite where in the Constitution of the United States, there is justification for genocide, or "worse"?

------------

Knight_of_BAAWA asks:  Isn't the Constitution a "social construct"?  If so, I take it you then would swear no allegiance to it.  What then, sir, are you left with for allegiance?"

I would swear allegiance to a fair agreement into which I was not coerced, which I believed was constituted by and for the people, and for which every individual holds the right to petition, challenge, and reform it.

Regarding this, "QUESTION FOR ALL":  Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all? Knight_of_BAAWA responds,
"No, you have to show that with a government that will happen. Further, you have to show that governments can be philosophically justifiable WITHOUT fallacies, blatant assertions, or smuggled premises."

No sir, in an honorable debate, the debaters agree to answer each others questions, as I have done for you above.  It is very interesting, however, that you choose to avoid answering this question.

I do not have to prove that groups of men operating in either a government formed by the people, or through a decentralized occasional court will act in a just way -- human nature proves otherwise.  The three criticisms you list are due to failings of humans which may be present in any operating body national, or local.  But if a person or persons operate under a fair and just statement of principles -- a Constitution -- and, if that Constitution provides for a way to petition any grievances, then they will be more efficient in operation and any if they operate in transparency, than any misdeeds will be observed, and may be punished according to the rules of law and order.

Once again, I ask you to explain how a society without leaders and government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?

------------

Laughing Man writes, "You presuppose that the government's right to maintain its monopoly over land it never aqcuired is in fact more important then an individual's right to live peaceably on his/her land without molestation by the government."

Of course, you have not proven this.  Property may be understood as a storage place for value.  Since any person is free to sell his property and move on, then the government has not "molested" that individual.  And since the same individual is free to petition the government in the court system, plus work for repeal and reform of any encroaching laws, then once again the person is at liberty to address problems and injustice in the system.

C'mon.  Are you pretending to be completely unaware of court cases won by individuals against government encroachments?

-------------

Fluery writes, Because it (the "social contract"), and the whole "love it or leave it" nonsense, ends up being a blank check for a systematic abuse of rights.

While I agree with you sir, that there is too much abuse of rights today, the impetus for a Liberty Manifesto, I cannot agree that a fair contract contains any license for abuse.

Please demonstrate for us how the founders of America, in the Constitution, intended to create a "blank check for systematic abuse of rights"?

------------

Juan writes, in answer to the question: "How else would you defend against arbitrary control?"
"I do believe in individual rights though I don't think they are granted by some theistic authority. If you personally think that's the case, fine. Still, I don't see why a political document should invoke theological matters."

You have not answered the question, Juan, and instead have side-stepped in such a way that only proves the premise that without a stipulation that rights stem from the Divine, you are subject to the whims of what this person, or that person believes.  That, sir, opens you to arbitrary definitions of rights, and so abuse thereof.

So, I ask you again, how will avoid arbitrary definitions of rights if you do not hold to a granting of rights from a level greater than any man, society, or culture?

-------------

Spideynw, cleverly attempts to sidestep the question, "Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?", by writing:  "That is like asking me how grocery stores are always stocked with just the right items 24 hours a day.  I do not work in the grocery store business..."

But of course, you are debating Liberty in a forum for for the Mises Institute which intends to "advance liberty in the tradition of the Austrian School", and remains  a "School of economics and libertarian political and social theory."  Further, you appear, at this point, to be a member of the school of thought arguing against any form of governance at all.  So, sir, for these reasons, your analogy does not hold.  You may not work in the grocery business, but you are representing yourself as a student of what the Mises Institute represents.

Therefore, I will first do you the honor of asking the question you next ask, then I will await your answer to the former question I asked before we may proceed in honest debate.

You asked, "Now, you please explain to me how a government that does not have consent of the governed will ever be restrained?"

Easy.  It won't.  That is why I am an advocate for a government by and for the people and so has their consent to govern, although greatly reduced and more restrained than we have today.

So, I ask you again:  Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

PatriotforFreedom:
Regarding this, "QUESTION FOR ALL":  Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all? Knight_of_BAAWA responds, "No, you have to show that with a government that will happen. Further, you have to show that governments can be philosophically justifiable WITHOUT fallacies, blatant assertions, or smuggled premises."

No sir, in an honorable debate, the debaters agree to answer each others questions, as I have done for you above.
No, they do not. I don't know where you got that idiotic idea, but it's not true. When you create questions which contain within them implicit strawmen (as you've done), there's no requirement to answer.

PatriotforFreedom:
I do not have to prove that groups of men operating in either a government formed by the people, or through a decentralized occasional court will act in a just way -- human nature proves otherwise.
Then why ask such a question of us?

PatriotforFreedom:
  The three criticisms you list are due to failings of humans which may be present in any operating body national, or local.  But if a person or persons operate under a fair and just statement of principles -- a Constitution
Yeah--how's that working out? And no, saying "if we only had the right people" won't work, either. 

PatriotforFreedom:
Once again, I ask you to explain how a society without leaders and government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?
Once again, it's not up to us to explain it. YOU have the onus of proof. Not us.

PatriotforFreedom:
Laughing Man writes, "You presuppose that the government's right to maintain its monopoly over land it never aqcuired is in fact more important then an individual's right to live peaceably on his/her land without molestation by the government."

Of course, you have not proven this.
Ummmm....do you understand the concept of shifting the burden of proof? Governments claim monopolies over justice, defense, etc., and say that they "own" the land they govern. By what right did this happen? Show it.

PatriotforFreedom:
Property may be understood as a storage place for value.  Since any person is free to sell his property and move on, then the government has not "molested" that individual.
What do you think taxation IS?  

PatriotforFreedom:
That is why I am an advocate for a government by and for the people and so has their consent to govern
Consent theory requires unanimity or else you violate the rights of those who do not consent.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 870

liberty student writes:  The only form of governance by and for, is self-governance, or anarchy.  That is the only true form of governance by "the people"."

No sir, what you have asserted is a total lack of government in the interests of an individual, and so it is quite telling that you left out "people" in the first sentence of your reply above.  Anarchy, by definition, is inconsistent with the definition of government, and so your argument fails render any logical conclusion. 

Again, I find the general conclusions made here to be illogical, ambivalent, and in promotion of a type of extremely inefficient, and so ineffective government.  And, once again, I refer you to Wikipedia which supports my conclusion in its definition of anarchy:  "Absence of government; a state of lawlessness due to the absence or inefficiency of the supreme power; political disorder."

liberty student continues, "If you believe in that (rights of liberty are granted by the divine), then you subscribe to natural rights theory.  Which means that all rights belong to men, through their maker, and those men CHOOSE to delegate rights at their own prerogative."

While I agree with your statement that all divine rights belong to all men, if that's what you meant, I do not agree with your second statement that men may then choose to delegate those rights already granted in any arbitrary way which suits their own "prerogative."  You have made a conclusion which is the exact opposite of what I have stated.

liberty student continues, by responding to "The social contract, after a people have voluntarily formed a government (as in the Founders of America), becomes voluntary for those born later in this way:  They can leave the country, or they can work from within to reform it," by writing, "That is a love it or leave it argument."

It is not a "love it or leave it" argument.  It is a love it, change it, fight it from within, or leave it argument.

Then liberty student answers the question, "why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?" writing, "Because it is tyranny writ large."

Can you prove that the American Constitution, not the abuse of it, is "tyranny writ large?"

liberty student asks, "Why must the citizens who own property, be forced to leave when the government does not represent them?"

I have not stated that they must.  They have a free choice to stay and comply with fair and just laws of the land.  My position implies quite the opposite, sir, in fact that when a government social contract which is by and for the people is in effect in a fair and just way, that they do not have to leave, and probably, I imagine, they would not wish to do so.

Liberty student writes, "In a free market, justice will come from a strong theory of property rights, enforced by contract and arbitration, before it comes down to violence.  In most cases, problems will be solved before anyone has to get hurt, or more property rights violations have to occur."

So, based on these statements, I ask you:

1. Are you not then advocating a form of social contract, and if not please then explain how a "strong theory of property rights enforced by contract..." is not a social contract?
  2. Who would enforce your contracts in a just, consistent, and efficient manner?
  3. Please give specific details and the premises by which you conclude that under anarchy, "problems will be solved before anyone has to get hurt, or more property rights violations have to occur."

Finally, Liberty
student appears to have concluded this: "Your complete inability to embrace more than the kindergarten version of the Founders myth and Constitution worship.  You have no conception of history, natural rights, classic liberalism, anarchism, abolition, secession, etc."

You have not proven your first sentence, which by your continuing debate here, I assume you are laboring to do.  In your second sentence, it you seem to have implied that you have a firm grasp on the range of theories you cite, while there is not yet evidence of that on this thread either.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 10:09 PM
PatriotForFreedom:
Please demonstrate for us how the founders of America, in the Constitution, intended to create a "blank check for systematic abuse of rights"?
Bob LeFevre has something to say about that :

The Constitution Revisited

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

PatriotforFreedom:
Can you prove that the American Constitution, not the abuse of it, is "tyranny writ large?"

Yes.  This is precisely the form of government which Hamilton and the Federalists agitated for.  Here is an item about Alexander I just posted.

The best thing about Alexander Hamilton

Why have you not addressed the Kentucky resolutions?

Why do you continue to refer to the people as a collective, like a socialist, instead of individuals, as a classic liberal would?

Why do you continue to insist that the maker gives man his rights, and then claim the Constitution's conception of rights is higher than the individual and his maker?

Usually when people are confronted with strong arguments, they don't run off half cocked to Wikipedia to post refutations that are irrational and misunderstood.  You're not arguing in good faith, and you're not presenting a libertarian or Austrian argument.  No one is buying what you are selling (statism).

This community is for discussing liberty, not tyranny.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 10:24 PM
PatriotForFreedom:
So, I ask you again, how will avoid arbitrary definitions of rights if you do not hold to a granting of rights from a level greater than any man, society, or culture?
How do you know that the rights to life, liberty and property have truly been granted by god ? Because you can talk to him ? What happens with people who don't accept your revealed knowledge about the divine ?

Different people have different religious beliefs or no beliefs at all. You can't have a political system based on religious beliefs because religious beliefs are not uniform.

By the way, I imagine you are familiar with Mr. Tom Paine ?

Age of Reason

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 10:24 PM

PatriotforFreedom:
filc proposes: "In other words it was completely within the states’ rights to murder those Jews and it was of no loss to personal liberty to the Jew to die in such a way, as it was completely morally, ethically, and legally in the right to do so."

In fact, sir, I have stated nothing of the kind, unless you believe that within the Constitution of the United States, the government is given license to murder entire ethnic groups of citizens. Is that your position?

My argument was against "Social Contracts" not against the constitution specifically. You have accused everyone of sidestepping but you have just sidestepped my point.

You said.

PatriotforFreedom:

1. The social contract, after a people have voluntarily formed a government (as in the Founders of America), becomes voluntary for those born later in this way: They can leave the country, or they can work from within to reform it.

Question for filc: why do you fear a "social contract" if it is by and for the people?

To restate, you claim the social contract is inherited to those born in a country. So I will now restate. YOU have given precedence and justification for genocide, example being the holocaust. Those Jews were born in that country, and their social contract ended up killing them.

Please do not re-state my argument. This is about social construct.

Since your stuck on the constitution let me ask you this.

PatriotforFreedom:
In fact, sir, I have stated nothing of the kind, unless you believe that within the Consitution of the United States, the government is given license to murder entire ethnic groups of citizens. Is that your position?

The present government has the tools to amend the constitution to how it sees fit. Not to mention our government does not uphold the constitution in law making any more either. How will your system prevent such abuse in the long rung? What previsions will you place that will bring more protection than what the founders left us.

PatriotforFreedom:
I would swear allegiance to a fair agreement into which I was not coerced, which I believed was constituted by and for the people, and for which every individual holds the right to petition, challenge, and reform it.

And how would you deal with folks who didn't agree to that social construct?

PatriotforFreedom:
I do not have to prove that groups of men operating in either a government formed by the people, or through a decentralized occasional court will act in a just way -- human nature proves otherwise.

Can I lol? Name one current country that has transpired into a fair and just government.

PatriotforFreedom:

This man petitioned his government. Look where he ended up. Alot of good your petitioning does.

PatriotforFreedom:
Fluery writes, Because it (the "social contract"), and the whole "love it or leave it" nonsense, ends up being a blank check for a systematic abuse of rights.

While I agree with you sir, that there is too much abuse of rights today, the impetus for a Liberty Manifesto, I cannot agree that a fair contract contains any license for abuse.

He doesn't have too. I know you would agree that the constitution was a supposed a pretty fair document. But the task is on YOU to prove how your system would not lead us to where we are today. The fact is, regardless of what nonesense you state in your "constitution", "Government" will just work around it until it can do away with it.

Case in point, the constitution has failed you, otherwise you wouldn't be re-writing a new one. It no longer holds the relevant authority it did back then. Our government dismisses it and works around it. How can you guarantee that your system would be any different? You cannot.

PatriotforFreedom:
If you personally think that's the case, fine. Still, I don't see why a political document should invoke theological matters."

You have not answered the question, Juan, and instead have side-stepped in such a way that only proves the premise that without a stipulation that rights stem from the Divine, you are subject to the whims of what this person, or that person believes. That, sir, opens you to arbitrary definitions of rights, and so abuse thereof.

His point is that your zealous religious beliefs are getting in your way. That level of zelousy is intrusive on other folks with different beliefs. You have already demonstrated to us how your supposed ‘fair’ contract will be unfair to those who have a difference of opinion regarding the ‘divine’.

PatriotforFreedom:
Spideynw, cleverly attempts to sidestep the question, "Please explain how a hypothetical "society" without a government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?", by writing: "That is like asking me how grocery stores are always stocked with just the right items 24 hours a day. I do not work in the grocery store business..."

But of course, you are debating Liberty in a forum for for the Mises Institute which intends to "advance liberty in the tradition of the Austrian School", and remains a "School of economics and libertarian political and social theory." Further, you appear, at this point, to be a member of the school of thought arguing against any form of governance at all. So, sir, for these reasons, your analogy does not hold. You may not work in the grocery business, but you are representing yourself as a student of what the Mises Institute represents.

Makes perfect sense to me. Government doesn't manage the availability of milk in grocery stores, yet it arrives there magically every day. Perhaps you would think the government can do better?

I find it ironic that you’re having to defend government but aim to alter it to what you perceive is better. It’s ironic that your defending something you wish to attack and change. Which is it, you like what government has done for you or do not? If you like government then why do you wish to alter things? Or, are you demonstrating how everyone has a difference of opinion and that blanket contracts do not serve everyone best interests. It's obvious you are not happy.

You also state free members of your so called government can assemble and petition for change. Well let me tell you what, our last election got us a mouth full of change. How well is that example working out for you?

The burden is on you to prove to us how government has not failed. It's not the other way around.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

filc you should learn how to use the quote function instead of copy pasting.  That keeps the page from being broken.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 870

Juan responds to "Please demonstrate for us how the founders of America, in the Constitution, intended to create a "blank check for systematic abuse of rights"? By making a reference to a writing by Bob LeFevre - "The Constitution Revisited".

I asked you what you thought, Juan.  Are you saying that LeFevre expresses the answer better than you could do?

-----------------

Knight_of_BAAWA replies to my assertion that "in an honorable debate, the debaters agree to answer each others questions, as I have done for you above," saying, "No, they do not. I don't know where you got that idiotic idea, but it's not true."

I refer you to Wikipedia, on debate, which in the text states, "In a formal debating contest, there are rules for people to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will interact. Informal debate is a common occurrence, but the quality and depth of a debate improves with knowledge and skill of its participants as debaters."  

Of course, I recognize that in Anarchy, there are no rules, and so no order except what you want it to be.  Again this supports my conclusion that Anarchy is ineffective.

Knight of BAAWA states, "When you create questions which contain within them implicit strawmen (as you've done), there's no requirement to answer."

Then, it is your responsibility to cite the supposed strawman, and present premises for the conclusion you have drawn that a statement I have made is a "strawman."  Again, your refusal to answer the specific question is quite interesting.

Regarding the question at hand, "how a society without leaders and government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?" Knight of BAAWA again side steps an honest answer with another question, "Then why ask such a question of us?"

Because, Knight, I believe it points directly at the weakness of the anarchic position.  And your refusal to answer only supports that position.

To Knight of BAAWAs question, "Yeah--how's that working out?" with regards to the American Constitution, I say it is currently in a state of abuse, which has been compounded by the laziness and failure of the citizens to uphold it.

For a third method of avoiding the question, "how a society without leaders and government would render efficient and consistent justice for all?" Knight of BAAWA attempts to argue, "Once again, it's not up to us to explain it. YOU have the onus of proof. Not us."

I am not a proponent of anarchy, as are you.  So, by the commonly understood definition of honorable debate (follow link above), you are making the proposition that anarchy is better than what we now have, and so it is in fact your responsibility to explain and suport that position.

Knight then asks, "do you understand the concept of shifting the burden of proof?"
Yes.

Knight continues, "Governments claim monopolies over justice, defense, etc., and say that they "own" the land they govern. By what right did this happen? Show it."

They would be in violation of the Constitution when this has happened in the US.  And the answer to your last question is that I can of course show no right for them to do that, because no right was ever granted them by the people in their Constitution for them to do it.

Knight asks, "What do you think taxation IS?"

I do not think that an honest and uncoerced agreement may be understood in any way to be a form of "molestation" as you put it.  I am not necessarily in from of "taxation" because it implies that the government is due a portion of the fruit of one's labor.  I am, however, in favor of a just fee paid in return for fair services rendered by a government of and for the people.

Knight writes, "Consent theory requires unanimity or else you violate the rights of those who do not consent."

Not everyone will agree in this world, but that does not mean that a majority approved contract, which is based on prinicples of liberty, fairness, and justice, will not create a much more efficient and effective operating agreement than does your proposition which you continually fail to support by refusing to answer this question: How does a society without leaders and government render efficient and consistent justice for all?

The assumption that unanimous assent should be required for all contracts is not supported historically, Knight.  Where would we be if such assent were required?  Since it would be achieved in very few, if any, cases, then we would be left with inefficient, arbitrary, and ineffective ways to proceed.

Sir, if you do believe in Anarchy, then I ask you for the last time to support it by answering the question, How does a society without leaders and government render efficient and consistent justice for all?  Unless perhaps you do not believe in justice for all?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 10:55 PM

I used it, and it copied the whole thing. I had to go back and edit it.

Page 4 of 6 (235 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS