Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Revenge of Karl Marx by Christopher Hitchens

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260
Capital Pumper Posted: Mon, Aug 24 2009 1:29 PM

"What the author of Das Kapital reveals about the current economic crisis"

Guesting starring: Eugen Ritter von Böhm-Bawerk

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200904/hitchens-marx

I found the article unintelligible due to how bombastic it was. I'm hoping someone could decipher it.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 390
Points 7,705

It has nothing worthy in it. Piece of complicated vocabulary with nothing substantial to boast of. Forget it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

So if build a table and price it at $1 trillion, and no one buys it at that price, did I over-produce? What if I re-price the table to $4 and it sells at that price, did I still over-produce?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 2:12 PM

The writer seems to be name dropping only those names are for the most part dead.  The writer mentions over production but does not mention what created that situation that is malinvestments of resources in areas of production that are not consistent with the time preferences of consumers.  The writer mentions a conceit but it is the wrong one.  The only conceit that matters is the fatal one.  That is a presumption of knowledge.  The write knows little of economics as the pricing system, that great deliverer of knowledge is absent.  In place of the price system we have feelings.  In place of savings we have capital being created from thin air.  In place of contracts we have exploitation.  In place of economic arguments based upon axioms of human behavior we have blather. 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 2:31 PM

I think Hitches (isn't he the Aussie?) had a similar essay linked to a few months ago in these forums. He actually showed up to defend his work.  I'll try to locate it...

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

He's technically an American citizen, although he originates from the UK. And yes, whilst his work is usually very flawed he at least has the decency of showing up to defend it.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

the Hitch was actually on this forum ? noway! where/when/how?

It would be awesome to reach him. he is a very effective writer even if he is wrong on many issues.....

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

Chris Hitchens is the British-born pro-war atheist. Steve Keen is the anti-marginalist Australian economist.

It was Keen who visited the Mises forums and attempted to defend his critique of Say's Law.

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Hitchens hasn't been on there to my recollection.  If he was, he and I would have had words.  He is a racist warmonger.

His brother Peter is actually a decent human being and has some liberal values.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 1,680
marquise replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 6:36 PM

A nice piece of bull....

I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. ~ Ayn Rand

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 6:58 PM

Yep - now that you mention it, i remember the Say discussion, that's what I was thinking of.

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Capital Pumper:

I found the article unintelligible due to how bombastic it was. I'm hoping someone could decipher it.

Translation of Article:

Marx was 'right' about capitalism and the current economic downturn vindicates him therefore there may be a chance that Marx's work comes back from the philosophical graveyard to eat our bourgeois brains.

Repent Capitalists! The Marx is near!

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

I don't mind him to be honest, and this should sound strange coming from somebody who stands almost at the opposite end of the spectrum on every issue possible. I suppose it's because he has a sense of humour and is at least willing to defend his views. I've seen him debating on religion and war, both times I thought he "lost" the debate. Nonetheless, he's a very competent debated and a smart guy.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Aug 24 2009 8:06 PM

MatthewWilliam:

Chris Hitchens is the British-born pro-war atheist. Steve Keen is the anti-marginalist Australian economist.

It was Keen who visited the Mises forums and attempted to defend his critique of Say's Law.

david_z:

Yep - now that you mention it, i remember the Say discussion, that's what I was thinking of.

I missed this, could you possibly link to it? Thanks Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

GilesStratton:

I've seen him debating on religion and war, both times I thought he "lost" the debate.

He doesn't go the distance on morality or science, but nonetheless he still trashes his opponents. His opponents always fall back on arguments from ignorance, strawmen ("Scientists claim that something came from nothing"), or some misconceptions about science.

GilesStratton:

Nonetheless, he's a very competent debated and a smart guy.

Yes, I've learned alot more from him on the middle east. His argument for the war is most cogent and makes Ron Paul's "blowback" conjecture sound ridiculous and ahistorical.

liberty student:

racist

That's a new one.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 945
Josh replied on Tue, Aug 25 2009 7:05 PM

I find Hitchens most useful as a journalist as a historian. He knows so much about so many things, and can put a human context, with references to myriad real events and people, on a lot of issues. He is not an economist, as this article demonstrates. But I won't begrudge him that because I like so much of his work.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:48 PM

Conza88:

MatthewWilliam:

david_z:

I missed this, could you possibly link to it? Thanks Smile

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/7596/131096.aspx#131096

David Z

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,565
solos replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 8:24 PM

Capital Pumper:

Yes, I've learned alot more from him on the middle east. His argument for the war is most cogent and makes Ron Paul's "blowback" conjecture sound ridiculous and ahistorical.

Can you summarize Hitchens' position here? All that I can surmise from Wikipedia is that he's an interventionist non-neo-conservative.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Christopher Hitchens is a dude with a cool accent, flamboyant writing and speaking style, and some good arguments against religion and the belief in God. He is no economist.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS