Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"Che"

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 377
Points 7,180
Ansury Posted: Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:22 PM

http://mises.org/journals/lar/pdfs/3_3/3_3_1.pdf

According to Wikipedia (accurate?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara ), Rothbard wrote the journal entry at the URL above.  (It's on mises.org, but I see no mention of any author and other scans in that directory link to articles by other authors.)

Did he retain this view or did his views shift at all?  (Ok probably a difficult to answer question.)  But none of the "revolutionary" aspects of this guy excuse the fact that he was using violence simply to install a different breed of tyranny over people.

So basically--is this really the sort of person we want to associate with a libertarian movement as someone to admire?

Btw side question - do the people who idolize this guy in popular culture generally even have any idea what he was fighting for?  Why all the "Che" t-shirts and such?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:44 PM

The PDF doesn't read like Rothbard, in my opinion.  I notice that none of the Editorials in L&R have bylines, perhaps it is attributed to Rothbard since he was the Editor of the publication.

I know this doesn't answer most of your questions, unfortunately...

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:03 AM

Ansury:

http://mises.org/journals/lar/pdfs/3_3/3_3_1.pdf

According to Wikipedia (accurate?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara ), Rothbard wrote the journal entry at the URL above.  (It's on mises.org, but I see no mention of any author and other scans in that directory link to articles by other authors.)

Did he retain this view or did his views shift at all?  (Ok probably a difficult to answer question.)  But none of the "revolutionary" aspects of this guy excuse the fact that he was using violence simply to install a different breed of tyranny over people.

So basically--is this really the sort of person we want to associate with a libertarian movement as someone to admire?

Btw side question - do the people who idolize this guy in popular culture generally even have any idea what he was fighting for?  Why all the "Che" t-shirts and such?

You could try emailing Lew Rockwell. Btw, there is no doubt that Che was a revolutionary and a great one. But this does not necessarily mean that Rothbard agreed with Che's views. It's like saying that Hitler was a great anti-semite. This doesn't imply any agreement with anti-semitism, all it does is point out that Hitler was an anti-semite, and a great one at it. You get what I'm saying? Btw, I wonder who put that into the Che's Wiki.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:31 AM

http://mises.org/journals/jls/19_1/19_1_2.pdf - pg 9-10ish

This is kind of good, "Groovey Che?" by Humberto Fontova

david_z:

The PDF doesn't read like Rothbard, in my opinion.  I notice that none of the Editorials in L&R have bylines, perhaps it is attributed to Rothbard since he was the Editor of the publication.

Apparently, that means the institution endorses it. See the first link. lol. I think Rothbard is mostly playing politics here.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 6,045

That "Groovey Che?" is great! Thanks for that!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:16 AM

Ansury:

In my experience, no.  They just have the general idea that he was bad ass and looks good in a primary color profile T shirt.  So did Hendrix, and to be honest Rothbard's profile is starting to grow on me.  Someone needs to tye die that thing.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

“To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary. These procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate.” – Che Guevara

http://letterstoadyingdream.wordpress.com/2008/12/20/the-butcher-of-la-cabana-the-real-che/

Che the Butcher...No

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 377
Points 7,180
Ansury replied on Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:01 AM

The above is the kind of thing that disappoints when you consider that Rothbard compromised with such criminals.  But nobody's perfect, of course.

Daniel:

Btw, I wonder who put that into the Che's Wiki.

Speaking of Wikipedia sucking (which I think it does generally), perhaps we should consider putting this "praise" into context by clarifying that it was fueled by a decision to compromise with "enemies-of-your-enemy".  If good sources can be found to verify this is accurate, of course.

If Ron Paul or Peter Schiff or someone starts really getting into the national spotlight (doubtful) and the name "Rothbard" comes up, and then some media goon goes and discovers this entry on Wikipedia tenuously linking him to a militant thug...

(Okay, that's not going to happen, I know. Stick out tongue )

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS