Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrian Perspective on the Fall of Rome?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 95
seng posted on Mon, Aug 31 2009 12:52 PM

I am interested in any quality books on the subject of the Roman Empire from an Austrian perspective.  Anyone have recommendations?

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Debasement of currency, price fixing, political corruption, war, et cetera.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
15 Posts
Points 420

I'm not sure of any specific books however I subscribe to the view that it fell due to military and economic overstretch as is the case with all great powers. With expansion came increased taxes and inflation. Also great sums were spent on giving bread to the poor which added to the economic chaos.  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
165 Posts
Points 4,340
Answered (Not Verified) Arman replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 1:49 PM
Suggested by Arman

Sorry, it's been years since my last post to this forum.  Have to get used to the protocols.  Stay off the "quick reply"

There is an extensive article here. . I give a critique here

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I don't know any books on this subject. However there's a mp3 accompanied with a transcript of Joseph R. Peden's lecture "Inflation and the Fall of the Roman Empire," given at the Seminar on Money and Government in Houston, Texas, on October 27, 1984. I've listend to it and he gives some interesting insight on monetary policies in the R.E.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Mises had some analysis of it in HA.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
757 Posts
Points 17,305

I second the New Deal in Old Rome, as it is the closest "book" your will find.

New Deal in Old Rome

New Deal in Old Rome (PDF)

"Anarchism misunderstands the real nature of man. It would be practicable only in a world of angels and saints" - Ludwig von Mises

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS