Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How can the USA avoid another tragedy like 9/11

This post has 135 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 5,265
inquisitiveteenager Posted: Fri, Sep 4 2009 12:03 AM

What should the government do if we are attacked in the future?

• | Post Points: 170
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

inquisitiveteenager:

It should solve the root of the problem, which is not the terrorist which masterminded the attack.  The root of the problem is continued U.S. interventionism in the politics of foreign nations.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Sep 4 2009 1:09 AM

If America abolished itself, it could not be attacked. 

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:12 AM

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:
It should solve the root of the problem, which is not the terrorist which masterminded the attack.  The root of the problem is continued U.S. interventionism in the politics of foreign nations.

Only partly correct.  Our foreign interventions do inflame hostility toward the US and help empower terrorists to recruit for actions against us by shifting sentiment, even among reasonable people, against us.  However, my experience and that of others I trust tells me that there are some truly crazy %&^*ers out there who honestly hate this country, western civilization in general, and our ideals.  Would they be as much of a threat if the US minded its own business?  I doubt it.  But they would still exist, and generally not give a damn what changes we made from going noninterventionist to going all out anarcho capitalist and abolishing the nation.  This particular problem has been a long time in the making and isn't so easily solved.  Ending interventionist policies is the first step, but I seriously doubt that would make all our terrorist problems go away tomorrow.  A century's worth of screwing around in the middle east has left a stain that will not wash out over night.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:15 AM

Well they could start by taking the suggestion of the victims families and have a new, independent investigation of 9/11....

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Dissolve itself.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 757
Points 17,305
Poptech replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 6:32 AM

If the U.S. fully embraced free market energy policies by removed all regulations (including environmental) restricting the production of energy resources here and engaged in free trade with every energy resource producing country we would be in a much better situation. We also should have never agreed to be the middle eastern police force when the British pulled out. I highly recommend watching "The Prize"

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (1/8) - Our Plan (Google Video) (53min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (2/8) - Empires of Oil (Google Video) (51min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (3/8) - The Black Giant (Google Video) (53min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (4/8) - War and Oil (Google Video) (53min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (5/8) - Crude Diplomacy (Google Video) (53min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (6/8) - Power to the Producers (Google Video) (52min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (7/8) - The Tinderbox (Google Video) (53min)
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power (8/8) - The New Order of Oil (Google Video) (52min)

"Anarchism misunderstands the real nature of man. It would be practicable only in a world of angels and saints" - Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

inquisitiveteenager:

9/11 was a tragedy - but it was planned and carried out by the US government and its cohorts [ in particular the US media which is mostly owned by corporations who are major defense contractors].

It has been proven, beyond any reasonable doubt - using the tools of both [1] meticulous observation: i.e.careful frame by frame analysis of original media archive footage, and [2] basic high- school level scientific principles [Newton's 3rd Law of Motion]- that these events were mostly fabricated on film .

Conclusion: no planes hit WTC1 or 2 or the Pentagon, and no 4th plane disappeared into the ground in Shanksville.

So to answer your question : I'm sure that the government will do everything in its power to ensure that it attacks us/itself again in the future!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-xcvv_fRQ

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

onebornfreedotblogspotdotcom:

Conclusion: no planes hit WTC1 or 2 or the Pentagon, and no 4th plane disappeared into the ground in Shanksville.

All those who witnessed the plane crashes were...plants?

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 9:17 AM

Laughing Man:

Ugh, I dont want this to get ugly....but allow me to just say this.

Among most truthers, so called 'no-planers' are in the distinct minority....for good reason. 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Laughing Man:

And all those who believe uncorroborated , unverified, non cross-examined "witness testimony" and the rest of the governments "evidence" and story , without any sort of "trial",[farcical and "kangarooed" as that would be]  are......what? Certainly not libertarians who have read and understood the Bill of Rights, much less "anarcho-capitalists", as far as I can see .

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

And all those who believe uncorroborated , unverified, non cross-examined "witness testimony" and the rest of the governments "evidence" and story , without any sort of "trial",[farcical and "kangarooed" as that would be]  are......what? Certainly not libertarians who have read and understood the Bill of Rights, much less "anarcho-capitalists", as far as I can see .

...what? What does testimonials concerning the WTC crashes have to do with the bill of rights?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Seph:

Laughing Man:

Ugh, I dont want this to get ugly....but allow me to just say this.

Among most truthers, so called 'no-planers' are in the distinct minority....for good reason. 

"I dont want this to get ugly.." .

It does not have to. However, if you check the link in my signature to my very first post here, you will see that in the last 2 pages of that 300 odd post thread the language and tone of several "moderators" degenerates somewhat, and when I pointed this out to them, instead of reprimanding those persons, another moderator, in his /her great wisdom, decided to lock the thread. Early on in that thread, another person repeatedly resorted to obnoxious posts- and guess what, that person is now a moderator.Sad

So yes , it does not have to get ugly , but I would not necessarily count on the moderators [with the exception of Mr G. Stratton] for any self-restraint.Smile

"Among most truthers, so called 'no-planers' are in the distinct minority....for good reason. "

Which is?........

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Laughing Man:

...what? What does testimonials concerning the WTC crashes have to do with the bill of rights?

For yourself and most others here, absolutely nothing, it would seem, despite the quote in your signature line .Oh, the irony Smile

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

For yourself and most others here, absolutely nothing, it would seem.Smile

What does the bill of rights have anything to do with Sept 11? Why did you even bring it up?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 9:52 AM

Which is?........

That there is simply a ludicrous amount of evidence which conclusively blows the official 9/11 fable to bits...and none of it revolves around a theoretically plausible, but comparatively untenable view that there were no planes on 9/11. 

Just to be clear, I'm not stating your view is false, per se, just that focusing on a 'no planes' aspect to 9/11 leads us from comparatively strong arguments, such as the collapse of the towers themselves, building 7, the early warning signs and conflicting stories told by government officials involved, to comparatively weaker ones.  

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

It is ironic that some libertarians who denounce the inefficieny, and waste of government programs can at the same time assert that the government has not only accomplished a very much efficient inside-job, but then proceeded to be able to fool 99.9% of America with the resulting cover-up. For such individuals while government is very terrible at every-day tasks; however, when it comes to the world of conspiracy theory, government is able to pull off some of the most astounding feats of organization in all of history.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Laughing Man:

For yourself and most others here, absolutely nothing, it would seem.Smile

What does the bill of rights have anything to do with Sept 11? Why did you even bring it up?

Have you  considered any possible relevance/connection  between the legal principles of the Bill of Rights and the quote in your  own sig line :

"The emperor may continue his march, but he will never again do it with the confidence that he can fool all the people, all the time. Let us work toward a time when he fools no one."   ?

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 757
Points 17,305
Poptech replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:12 AM

OMG not the 911 Truther brigade. Yes planes hit the towers my sister saw the second plane hit as well as another one of my friends who work in NYC. All their nonsense has been debunked.

Debunking 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

No planers and 911 truthers are embarrassing to libertarians. You never know though my sister who is ballet dance instructor could really be a CIA plant brainwashed by Dick Cheney.

"Anarchism misunderstands the real nature of man. It would be practicable only in a world of angels and saints" - Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

laminustacitus:

It is ironic that some libertarians who denounce the inefficieny, and waste of government programs can at the same time assert that the government has not only accomplished a very much efficient inside-job, but then proceeded to be able to fool 99.9% of America with the resulting cover-up. For such individuals while government is very terrible at every-day tasks; however, when it comes to the world of conspiracy theory, government is able to pull off some of the most astounding feats of organization in all of history.

For me it is ironic ,or at least most curious that most "libertarians" and "anarcho- capitalists"  here[and probably even most "anarchists" elsewhere], believe just about every aspect of the governments story, right off the bat. Just what [if anything] is going on in their minds?

They don't even question it , but have swallowed it "hook, line and sinker" without any serious personal investigation on their own part- despite the fact that the Bill of Rights makes such questioning perfectly normal [ the Bill of Rights is supposed to ensure that the government is  held to a higher standard of truth- its stories are to be routinely disbelieved until proven - to that higher standard of truth, in court].

Most curious.....Smile

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 757
Points 17,305
Poptech replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:31 AM

For me it is ironic ,or at least most curious that most "libertarians" and "anarcho- capitalists"  here[and probably even most "anarchists" elsewhere], believe just about every aspect of the governments story, right off the bat. Just what [if anything] is going on in their minds?

As opposed to believing random nonsense from people who don't know how to research and fact check the ridiculous claims they make? Too funny. Maybe I should forget all my computer and architecture knowledge and start listening to idiots like Dylan Avery.

Bullshit! - 9/11 Conspiracy Theories (9min)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:32 AM

9/11 could have easily been prevented if the pilots and crew were allowed to carry guns onboard - the way it used to be once upon a time. There was a case in 1950s when a pilot simply shot the hijacker. Looks like even the government realizes this.

If I hear not allowed much oftener; said Sam, I'm going to get angry.

J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 178
Points 2,260
BioTube replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:36 AM

The fact of the matter is that I'd be amazed if the government was organized enough to sneak kamakaze pilots onto the planes without it getting out(or, more likely, hitting the wrong buildings).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:46 AM

Especially if Dubya was the mastermind :)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:48 AM

inquisitiveteenager:

Dissolve itself.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,305
TelfordUS replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:04 AM

laminustacitus:

I believe the government can very easily pull off both government programs AND inside jobs. But if governments like the US and organizations like Al-Qaeda didn't exist, there would be no problem.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Poptech:

As opposed to believing random nonsense from people who don't know how to research and fact check the ridiculous claims they make? Too funny. Maybe I should forget all my computer and architecture knowledge and start listening to idiots like Dylan Avery.

Bullshit! - 9/11 Conspiracy Theories (9min)

{Forgive me for assuming that you are either a self-described libertarian or anarcho-capitalist -but this is that kind of placeBig Smile}

So you believe that the government tells the truth and that therefor it should in all instances be believed- including with regard to what it says happened on 911, correct?

Or are there ever any exceptions - when it should not be believed, no matter what it says, in your own mind?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:17 AM

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

That doesn't explain the fact that the attack was carried out by Saudi and Egyptian nationals - two countries that US has never been at war with and have been US allies for many years. Why not the Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Germans, Mexicans - anyone that the US did actually kill or interfere with?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 178
Points 2,260
BioTube replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:17 AM

Have you ever read/seen Othello? Besides, at most the government failed to respond to intelligence - the WTC wasn't the best design(it was built to survive a 727 crash, but that's an entirely different class of plane even before we consider fuel) and al-Qaeda had made a previous attack against the place(plus, if they didn't do it, they'd have sung the fact that the US gov did it from rooftops instead of meekly taking credit).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 12:48 PM

So you believe that the government tells the truth and that therefor it should in all instances be believed- including with regard to what it says happened on 911, correct?

Just because I don't trust the government that doesn't mean I should immediately trust various nutcases.

Seriously, dude. This is not the moon landing. This is frigging New York on a busy day, with thousands of people inside the towers as well as in surrounding building and outside in the streets. Not to mention the passengers who called their relatives. Are they all plants?

I have my own questions and suspicions, but "no planes" is completely ridiculous and if you call anyone who saw the planes hit the buildings liars and all the footage bogus then don't expect people to listen even to more legitimate questions you might have.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Natalie:

Just because I don't trust the government that doesn't mean I should immediately trust various nutcases.

Seriously, dude. This is not the moon landing. This is frigging New York on a busy day, with thousands of people inside the towers as well as in surrounding building and outside in the streets. Not to mention the passengers who called their relatives. Are they all plants?

I have my own questions and suspicions, but "no planes" is completely ridiculous and if you call anyone who saw the planes hit the buildings liars and all the footage bogus then don't expect people to listen even to more legitimate questions you might have.

Ignoring the fact that you are not even the person to whom my question was addressedSmile - are you saying that you believe that the moon landings were faked?

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 5:27 PM

Which ones? Soviet? American? Manned? Unmanned?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Natalie:

Which ones? Soviet? American? Manned? Unmanned?

My original assumption was that you were referring to the US's manned landings.

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 5:47 PM

{Forgive me for assuming that you are either a self-described libertarian or anarcho-capitalist -but this is that kind of placeBig Smile}

Or are there ever any exceptions - when it should not be believed, no matter what it says, in your own mind?

If some one does not blindly accept your ridiculous claim, that implies that they blindly accepted the government's claim?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

I. Ryan:

If some one does not blindly accept your ridiculous claim, that implies that they blindly accepted the government's claim?

[Noting, but for now ignoring the derogatory nature of your postConfused] I have no idea, which is why I asked that particular person.

So what , if anything, do you think it implies?Geeked

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 757
Points 17,305
Poptech replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 6:23 PM

{Forgive me for assuming that you are either a self-described libertarian or anarcho-capitalist -but this is that kind of place}

I am not an anarchist but a limited government libertarian.

I believe the government is incompetent but the "government" is not one person, it is millions, making any sort of conspiracy on this scale impossible. The nonsensical claims and strawman arguments proposed by the 911 truthers don't hold up to science and facts. You can be skeptical of the official story without accepting every nut job conspiracy theory.

While we may not be at war with Saudi Arabia, we have been militarily occupying the country of Saudi Arabia near the Islamic Holy cities of Mecca and Medina ever since the first gulf war. We are only really allied with the Saudi royal family not the Saudi population. Bin Laden was Saudi Arabian, he was angry at the Saudi Royal Family  for seeking western military protection against Saddam Hussein instead of using his "holy warriors".

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Poptech:

Blasphemy! Heretic! Sin Sin! Christ kill!Stick out tongue

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 6:38 PM

Speaking of architecture...

http://www.ae911truth.org/

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Poptech:

{Forgive me for assuming that you are either a self-described libertarian or anarcho-capitalist -but this is that kind of place}

I believe the government is incompetent but the "government" is not one person, it is millions, making any sort of conspiracy on this scale impossible. The nonsensical claims and strawman arguments proposed by the 911 truthers don't hold up to science and facts. You can be skeptical of the official story without accepting every nut job conspiracy theory.

While we may not be at war with Saudi Arabia, we have been militarily occupying the country of Saudi Arabia near the Islamic Holy cities of Mecca and Medina ever since the first gulf war. We are only really allied with the Saudi royal family not the Saudi population. Bin Laden was Saudi Arabian, he was angry at the Saudi Royal Family  for seeking western military protection against Saddam HUssein instead of using his "holy warriors".

Thank you for clarifying.

Just for the record, I am not interested in your acceptance of  "every nut job conspiracy theory", or even your ultimate denial of the same.  

However I am interested in how you and others here arrive at any conclusions that you may have reached [its my profession] , i.e  the methodology and pre-existing assumptions that you and others routinely make [your thinking processes] when reviewing any/all government "evidence"  that supports its own 911 case. 

In the light of those thinking processes and assumptions, I am also interested in the "arguments" that you and others say "don't hold up to science and facts."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 7:20 PM

[Noting, but for now ignoring the derogatory nature of your postConfused] I have no idea, which is why I asked that particular person.

So what , if anything, do you think it implies?Geeked

Your writing is nonsensical. How old are you?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Page 1 of 4 (136 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS