Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Meaning of all the icons etc...

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 782
Points 19,110
mickanomics Posted: Sun, Sep 6 2009 10:40 AM

Hi,

maybe I'm being stupid, but I've completely failed to find anywhere on the site which gives an explanation of all the different icons/stars/points etc used on this forum. Can you give me a pointer.

Cheers,

Mick.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,040

mickanomics:

Hi,

maybe I'm being stupid, but I've completely failed to find anywhere on the site which gives an explanation of all the different icons/stars/points etc used on this forum. Can you give me a pointer.

Cheers,

Mick.

BUMP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

The stars are ratings for the post (if it has been rated at all).

The bars under your avatar show your bracket position regarding the forum posters wrt # of posts, e.g. top 100, top 50, etc.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,040

Cheers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 782
Points 19,110

Knight_of_BAAWA:

The bars under your avatar show your bracket position regarding the forum posters wrt # of posts, e.g. top 100, top 50, etc.

Can you remember how you found out this piece of information - surely its all written down somewhere.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

All you have to do is mouse over them and you'll see.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 11
Points 295

I'm new too.  What does it mean to "verify" and answer on a discussion forum?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

It means that if you indicate in creating the post that you're asking a question for people to answer, people can suggest responses as answers and you can approve the ones you think are actually answers.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 125
Points 2,085
JeffB replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:10 PM

Knight_of_BAAWA:

How do they get rated and who rates them?  The members?  The Mods? everybody?  I don't see anywhere that I can rate anything, though I use Firefox and maybe it doesn't work for open source browsers, though that would be a shame.  Ditto for the points after people's posts.  What do they mean and where do they come from?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Each person can rate it. Just mouse over the stars and click however many you want.

The points after people's posts comes from how many replies something gets. I believe each reply is worth 15 points, so 1 reply is 20 points (5 points for the initial post + 15 for the reply).

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 125
Points 2,085
JeffB replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 8:11 PM

Knight_of_BAAWA:

Each person can rate it. Just mouse over the stars and click however many you want.

The points after people's posts comes from how many replies something gets. I believe each reply is worth 15 points, so 1 reply is 20 points (5 points for the initial post + 15 for the reply).

Thanks!

I hadn't noticed those stars before, or if I did I didn't realize what they were for.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 12:59 AM

What does the gray head and shoulders icon mean?  It just recently showed up underneath my avatar, it wasn't there before.

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 11:42 AM

What does the gray head and shoulders icon mean?  It just recently showed up underneath my avatar, it wasn't there before.

I've seen that as a replacement for people's avatars if the page didn't load correctly, and it couldn't get that information, and some others just keep it that way.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS