Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Bank Safety deposit boxes

This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645
ryanpatgray Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2008 3:34 PM

HI, I wasn’t sure whether to post this under political theory or economics. It has elements of both. Under normal circumstances I store valuables like AU and AG in a safety deposit box in a bank. However, someone told me in another forum that under some circumstances the Federal government can freeze the safety deposit boxes in a bank. I have a three part question regarding this. First, is this true? Second if this is true, under what circumstances could the federal government legally do this? Third, would now be a good time to clean out my bank safety deposit box of AU and AG?

Thanks,

Ryan

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 55
RobertCR replied on Fri, Jan 11 2008 4:52 PM

I don't know the law as it currently stands, but as far as I know:

1.  Yes.  If the Federal Government can outlaw Americans holding gold for nearly 50 years, it can probably go ahead and do it again, then go ahead and block access to safety deposit boxes to prevent people from withdrawing their gold.  The government would be free to confiscate it at will.  If you're lucky, you'll get a check in the mail.  Tragic thing is that if that happens, inflation will be running so fast by then that the check will be worthless by the time you cash it!
  2. The government can legally do anything as long as a law is passed or executive order is issued allowing it.  All laws and executive orders are constitutional by today's "living document" standard.  Thus the federal government can legally block access to your safety deposit box whenever those in charge say so.  Since safety deposit box holders are a very small minority, even the threat of a democratic backlash probably won't stop it.
  3. Yes.  I don't know what other safe place you should put your gold and silver.  However, a lockbox in a fortress owned by a bank that relies upon government for its very existence can't be a safe place to have your gold in the event of a monetary crisis.

I'm not exactly an authority on these matters, but that's about what it looks like to me.  I hope those with more expertise can expand on this and correct any flaws and inconsistencies in my arguments.

Robert C. R.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645

Thanks,

Ryan

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,460
Harksaw replied on Mon, Jan 14 2008 7:25 AM

I think that the government searching everyone's safety deposit boxes would cause an enormous backlash - first off, I think only a small percentage of safety deposit boxes have gold in them. They would all need to be searched since nobody but the holder knows what is inside.

Second, a warrant would be required to search each one, millions nationwide, and bypassing this would cause an enormous public outcry.  

And lastly, the reason for siezing gold in the 30s was to shore up the government's gold standard dollar. I don't think there's really a chance of the government wanting to go back to a gold standard again. 

When the government has the power to print money and the power to force people to use it, why would they care one whit about gold? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Harksaw:
Second, a warrant would be required to search each one, millions nationwide, and bypassing this would cause an enormous public outcry.

Not if they were going after drug traffickers, pedophiles and terrorists. Anyone who rejects the legal tender *must* have something to hide after all.

Harksaw:
When the government has the power to print money and the power to force people to use it, why would they care one whit about gold?

Every other historic failed fiat currency might offer an answer to that question.

They really only have the power to force people to use their fiat currency because people accept that they have that power. If it starts to get a little too wonky they will soon find that power isn't as real as they imagined or hoped.

But they seem to care a lot about gold judging from the whole Liberty Dollars raid, can't have a competing currency out there if you want to ensure your monopoly. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,460
Harksaw replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 10:01 AM

Anonymous Coward:

Not if they were going after drug traffickers, pedophiles and terrorists. Anyone who rejects the legal tender *must* have something to hide after all.

You're right, I shouldn't underestimate the gullibility of the public. 

Anonymous Coward:

They really only have the power to force people to use their fiat currency because people accept that they have that power. If it starts to get a little too wonky they will soon find that power isn't as real as they imagined or hoped.

But they seem to care a lot about gold judging from the whole Liberty Dollars raid, can't have a competing currency out there if you want to ensure your monopoly.

It's not an imagined power - if you try to use other currencies, people will come to your house with guns and stop you. I don't see the Liberty Dollar raid affecting bullion - I think they would have avoided all government attention if they didn't have "USA $10" on them, and didn't so closely resemble government money.

Every other historic failed fiat currency might offer an answer to that question.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between currently used government fiat money, and previous historical versions of such? In the past, there was at least an implied connection between printed dollars and gold. It might have been only available to foreign governments to exchange, and there wasn't enough gold to back up the paper, but the people were at least promised some metal backing. Now we're completely disconnected from any connection whatsoever with gold, and 99% of the public doesn't care.

Additionally, the current system is different from past fiat currencies in that metal backing of currency isn't used anywhere in the world, so there isn't any other country's gold-backed currency that is going to compete with fiat currencies.

I believe we're in a  very different situation than monies in the past.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 9:53 AM

Here's a simple answer to why the government might seize gold. Of course as was said I'm sure they'll find some sort of politically correct reason for it. The real reasons would likely be the realisation by those in power (+ special interests) that their own dollars are becoming worthless. They might want to secure their own wealth with gold, and since banks all over the world have sold almost all their reserves, it may be necessary to confiscate gold once again - although I doubt there's many people wise enough to hold it.

I wonder if there are any vaults that are exempt from government authority? Some sort of private security company maybe?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 34
Points 590

Fred Furash:
I wonder if there are any vaults that are exempt from government authority?

A non-metallic container (glass jar?) buried under metal junk in your back yard--know only to one person. 

Dennis Lee Wilson

NEVER FORGET is available at http://www.cafepress.com/ArtemisZuna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 211
Points 3,125
JimS replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 11:30 PM

Harksaw:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between currently used government fiat money, and previous historical versions of such? In the past, there was at least an implied connection between printed dollars and gold. It might have been only available to foreign governments to exchange, and there wasn't enough gold to back up the paper, but the people were at least promised some metal backing. Now we're completely disconnected from any connection whatsoever with gold, and 99% of the public doesn't care.

Additionally, the current system is different from past fiat currencies in that metal backing of currency isn't used anywhere in the world, so there isn't any other country's gold-backed currency that is going to compete with fiat currencies.

There were several historical attemps at completely unbacked fiat curencies: the former currencies of the soviet bloc, war time currencies among most belligerents in both WWII and WWI, French Assignat during their turmoil . . . all the way back to the very first one: the Mongol imperial notes printed on mulbury bark fiber sheets.   At least the last one was a universal currency, in the Mongol universe, which was quite large :-)

There are currently at least a dozen precious metal legal tenders in existence today: the US gold and silver Eagles, Canadian Maples, Australian Kangroos, etc. etc., all have legal tender value coined on them.  Also, there is South African Krugerand, which has a legal tender value of "one Troy Ounce of Fine Gold."  Yes, "Troy Ounce of Fine Gold" is a currency unit.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,460
Harksaw replied on Thu, Jan 17 2008 10:30 AM

JimS:
There are currently at least a dozen precious metal legal tenders in existence today: the US gold and silver Eagles, Canadian Maples, Australian Kangroos, etc. etc., all have legal tender value coined on them.  Also, there is South African Krugerand, which has a legal tender value of "one Troy Ounce of Fine Gold."  Yes, "Troy Ounce of Fine Gold" is a currency unit.

Oh, come on. They're legal tender at far, far below their market value - $50 face value for a coin that sells for $950 or so. So the law effectively keeps them from being used as money, since debtors cannot insist on being paid in gold American Eagles. (Also note the court case coming up where an employer paid his employees in face value $50 American Eagles, and the IRS is giving him a load of trouble for reporting their face value and not market value)

Does South Africa allow people to pay taxes at the going exchange rate with Krugerrands? Can merchants list their prices in ounces of gold, and accept ounces of gold at free-market exchange rates?

If this is so, why does anyone in South Africa use the Rand? A free market on money would lead to people using gold, for sure, over fiat Rands.

Is there any country in the world today where the money is completely made up of metal? 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS