Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

C.S. Lewis Speaks of Education

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Sat, Sep 12 2009 5:02 PM

"The basic principle of the new education is to be that dunces and idlers must not be made to feel inferior to intelligent and industrious pupils.  That would be 'undemocratic'...

At universities, examinations must be framed so that nearly all the students get good marks.  Entrance examinations must be framed so that all, or nearly all, citizens can go to universities, whether they have any power (or wish) to profit by higher education or not.  At schools, the children who are too stupid or lazy to learn languages and mathematics and elementary science can be set to doing things that children used to do in their spare time.  Let them, for example, make mud-pies and call it modelling.   But all the time there must be no faintest hint that they are inferior to the children who are at work...

Children who are fit to proceed to a higher class may be artificiially kept back...

Of course this would not follow unless all education became state education.  But it will."

- C.S. Lewis 

The Screwtape Letters

I have news for you, Mr. Lewis.  As a teacher in a Texas Title I school, I can say we are already there.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 53
Points 805

Lewis, Tolkien, and Orwell were prophets!

"La cuestión es siempre la misma: que el gobierno o el mercado. No hay tercera solución." -Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

limitgov:
At schools, the children who are too stupid or lazy to learn languages and mathematics and elementary science can be set to doing things that children used to do in their spare time

Sad He didn't say history.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Sat, Sep 12 2009 8:13 PM

Laughing Man:

limitgov:
At schools, the children who are too stupid or lazy to learn languages and mathematics and elementary science can be set to doing things that children used to do in their spare time

Sad He didn't say history.

'Cause every child gets that. History class requires no critical thinking so that every child can have access to what the state wants them to think.

Peace

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 65
Points 1,340

limitgov:

I have news for you, Mr. Lewis.  As a teacher in a Texas Title I school, I can say we are already there.

True, but that's only half the problem and in my opinion,  it's the less troublesome half. The worst thing about public schooling (and private! I attended both types of schools) is the social environment it breeds ( up through the high school level). Speaking strictly from personal experience, it breeds an environment of extreme conformity. If a child is perceived as in any way different by other children, or "outside the norm" by "teachers", then he better fall into line or else face being an outcast.

Smart and creative children stand out. Independent thinkers stand out. If these people don't have a strong familial support structure or at the very least one strong advocate, many end up being psychologically damaged. This is true in my experience, because I was one of those children and I never had the support or an advocate. You would think that a teacher could serve as an advocate? Think again! Most either don't care or are more interested in their own popularity with the students than helping a singled out and abused child.

I would have given anything to be home schooled. I always get a chuckle out of people who say that home schooled children will not have the same degree of socialization that institutionalized children do. As if interaction with the vapid little herds has any value at all.

Paul

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

I was homeschooled for a while (paid for by the school) after I intentionally got myself expelled.  It was 4 hours a week, mostly math, novice teacher without the usual chip on shoulder.  F'ing great!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Salamanca34:

Lewis, Tolkien, and Orwell were prophets!

So were Adam Smith and Ayn Rand, apparently.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

JonBostwick:
History class requires no critical thinking so that every child can have access to what the state wants them to think.

I beg your pardon senior! History is a wonderful subject. The crux of all the social sciences. The crux of society!

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 7:45 AM

Caley McKibbin:

I was homeschooled for a while (paid for by the school) after I intentionally got myself expelled.  It was 4 hours a week, mostly math, novice teacher without the usual chip on shoulder.  F'ing great!

You really pulled that off? I'd like to hear more about it if you wish to discuss it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS