Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Articles of Confederation

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 258
Points 4,595
majevska Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2008 6:29 PM
I'm looking for some books, short articles, whatever debating whether or not the US could have continued (and been better off) with the less centralized Articles of Confederation rather than the Constitution. I've read some of the debates and federalist/anti-fed papers but what I'm really looking for is something defending against the common assumption that we NEEDED the Constitution. In other words, what you're taught in public school is that pre-Constitution America was a failure, nothing was working, we NEEDED more centralized power or else America would have collapsed completely as a nation. I've read people to the contrary claiming that we were fine under the AoC and the Federalists just wanted more power, but nothing with substantial facts/evidence to defend the theory. Any info would be appreciated.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 481
Points 7,280
DBratton replied on Sat, Jan 12 2008 10:46 PM

Have you read Rethinking the Articles of Confederation on Mises.org yet?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Sat, Jan 12 2008 11:15 PM

I have actually drafted a revised version of the original Articles, to replace the current Constitution.  I personally would much rather prefer a loose confederation over what we have today.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS