Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Obama to Drop Poland, Czech Missile Defense Proposal

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 7:42 PM
Felipe:
But doesnt the term "constitutional" implies that there is a respect for certain individual rights?
YES!! That's why amerikkka was founded as a slave holding constitutional republic. You knew that didn't you ?

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Capital Pumper:

Juan:

it makes sense for the iranian state to acquire weapons so as to check the deranged plans of other deranged people like themselves.

By selling the missiles to other deranged people like themselves.

The Iranians are no more deranged than the neocons.  The difference is, one has more guns, and better PR.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Felipe:
But doesnt the term "constitutional" implies that there is a respect for certain individual rights? and doesnt "islamic" implies a theocracy?

Well, America claims to be a Christian nation at the time of its founding.  Has America been a theocracy?  I won't argue if you say yes.  It's been a Christian and secular theocracy (yes, I know the contradiction).

My point is, wouldn't any dictatorship have less legitimacy than a republic?  Or is a republic just a dictatorship dressed up as constitutional democracy?

It sounds like an argument over second bests.  Obviously, any monopoly coercive state is undesirable (unless you are a minarchist, in which monopoly is ok as an exception).  Islamic, Christian, Buddhist, Secular, Jewish etc.  It's all the same.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

liberty student:

The Iranians are no more deranged than the neocons. The difference is, one has more guns, and better PR.

Don't underestimate the Islamic states. They play PR games of their own. This is one of the ways Hamas fights Israel.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Capital Pumper:
Don't underestimate the Islamic states.

I didn't.  They are no better than America or Israel.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

liberty student:

Capital Pumper:
Don't underestimate the Islamic states.

I didn't.  They are no better than America or Israel.

Fair enough, but I recommend you read Birth of Israel by Martin Gilbert, for an opposing viewpoint on the matter. It's just disingenuous when people scapegoat Israel as the aggressor in many instances.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Capital Pumper:
It's just disingenuous when people scapegoat Israel as the aggressor in many instances.

Israel's bodycount and expansion policies qualifies it as an aggressor.

I once got in a debate with a progressive liberal who ate up all the propaganda about islamo-fascism.  He started telling me stats about how many israelis female police officers or something that palestinians had killed.  However, looking at all of the stats provided, apparently it took about 10 Palestinians to kill one Israeli, making them the world's least effective "terists".  He got quite upset when I explained this to him.  People believe facts, only until they don't support their position any longer.

I don't doubt there is lots of bad blood between Muslims and Jews.  Hell, Christians didn't treat Jews very well until the last 70 years either.  But as a libertarian, and an austrian, I'm not going to assume that all Iranians are the same as all other Muslims, or represented accurately by their government, nor that all Jews sympathize with Zionist policy, or that the Israeli government represents all Israeli citizens.

If you read the collectivist propaganda, you will come to collectivist conclusions.  Which means you will be in sync with 98% of the world, but not the sincere libertarians.

That's why I am somewhat surprised to see libertarians citing people like Hitchens or Horowitz as sources.  These are pro-state, anti-liberty fascists.  They have very little to offer someone with a libertarian conception of justice, morality or human action.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

liberty student:

Israel's bodycount and expansion policies qualifies it as an aggressor.

I don't deny that Israeli troops have killed thousands. Israeli troops break down doors, bulldoze homes, orchards, destroy bridges, and rip up roads. Israeli troops shell and bomb. Israeli troops have incarcerated thousands of Palestinians without trials, and even tortured people; however, it's more or less blow back.

Here's just a few samplers illustrating that Israel's enemies have always valued their ire more than their people:

http://palestinefacts.org/pf_1991to_now_campdavid_2000.php

http://ca.encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761570433/six-day_war.html

http://www.mideastweb.org/israelafter1967.htm

liberty student:

I once got in a debate with a progressive liberal who ate up all the propaganda about islamo-fascism.  He started telling me stats about how many israelis female police officers or something that palestinians had killed.  However, looking at all of the stats provided, apparently it took about 10 Palestinians to kill one Israeli, making them the world's least effective "terists".  He got quite upset when I explained this to him.  People believe facts, only until they don't support their position any longer.

Hamas' intent to kill civilians is not achieved by firing rockets into Israel. It is achieved by encouraging Israel to respond to those attacks by striking into Gaza. most recently they've use schools as a fire base, and fire off their mortars from there.

Hamas' objective is to kill Palestinian civilians, not Israeli civilians. The death of Israelis wins Hamas nothing. The death of Palestinians wins Hamas a wave of indignant converts/useful idiots to their cause. "Death to Israel!"

More here:

http://middleeast.about.com/od/palestinepalestinians/a/me090423c.htm

I'm afraid the liberal-progressive didn't take the time to research the subject, and merely used stats for the purpose of winning an argument. If you really want a challenge then the members at JREF are well-versed in debating this subject.

liberty student:

If you read the collectivist propaganda, you will come to collectivist conclusions.

Such as? I'm pretty wise to the game BT Selem and the U.N. are playing now.

liberty student:

That's why I am somewhat surprised to see libertarians citing people like Hitchens or Horowitz as sources.  These are pro-state, anti-liberty fascists.  They have very little to offer someone with a libertarian conception of justice, morality or human action.

It depends why people are citing them. Not all arguments are ideological, and neither am I engaging in one right now. I just don't want to sacrifice objective facts and analysis for the sake of ideology.

Its been long while since I've studied the middle east (the call of AE was to become top priority), but I hope that doesn't turn you off to research the history.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I skimmed most of your post.  I have no interest in debating Israel and Islam on this forum.  It's a rubbish topic that brings out the worst in people.

Capital Pumper:
It depends why people are citing them.

No, it really doesn't.

Capital Pumper:
Not all arguments are ideological, and neither am I engaging in one right now.

Neocons like Hitchens and Horowitz almost always engage in ideological arguments.  They are very well paid by special interests to be attack dogs for the establishment special interests, and to provide intellectual cover for those same agendas.

Capital Pumper:
I just don't want to sacrifice objective facts and analysis for the sake of ideology.

You're not going to get objective facts from these guys.  99% of what is piped through TV, print and radio is absolute bullshit, massaged and tweaked to stimulate or depress various emotional and mental responses from the viewers/listeners/readers.  I market for a living.  Everyone has levers.  Sex, fear, envy, even optimism.  We're all very easy to manipulate, and have trouble formulating unique opinions, because society is constructed (deliberately) in a manner that ostracizes uniqueness.

Capital Pumper:
Its been long while since I've studied the middle east (the call of AE was to become to priority), but I hope that doesn't turn you off to research the history.

I don't care about history or foreign policy anymore.  It held my interest for awhile, but as I became more radical about libertarianism and peace, I realized how distorted it is.  The only value of such history, is to understand how truly violent and repressive all states and collectives are.

I'm working towards a market based society.  My future is in front of me.  The history of state violence, genocide and religious hatred have nothing to contribute towards my goal.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

liberty student:

I skimmed most of your post.  I have no interest in debating Israel and Islam on this forum.  It's a rubbish topic that brings out the worst in people.

I understand and agree. In the grand scheme of things they're red herring topics. The reason they're even topics at all is because they're state-oriented.

Note: I never paid attention to David Horrowitz, and I don't listen to Hitchens much anymore. His arguments in relation to ethics and economics are weak, and he's gone off to write about red herring garbage (Clinton visits North Korea). Nevertheless, I would pay to see Hitchens debate on this forum.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 10:31 AM

There're other regional powers that are not happy with the shift of balance of power in favor of Iran (Saudis and Egypt in particular).

If I hear not allowed much oftener; said Sam, I'm going to get angry.

J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Natalie:

There're other regional powers that are not happy with the shift of balance of power in favor of Iran (Saudis and Egypt in particular).

But they are all illegitimate, so it doesn't matter if they cluck their tongues or suck their teeth.  Saudia and Egypt in particular are on the American foreign welfare system directly or indirectly.

Once Iran gets nuclear capability (if that is what they are striving for) then they will get on the dole too, and eat into the payola that is available to these other states.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 11:13 AM

Legitimacy (what's that, anyway?) has nothing to do with governmental disputes and struggle for dominance in this region.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Natalie:
Legitimacy (what's that, anyway?) has nothing to do with governmental disputes and struggle for dominance in this region.

You really don't understand whether or not states are legitimate agents of their constituents?

Government is an abstraction.  A governmental dispute, is just a dispute between individuals.  To claim that all Egyptians oppose Iranians having access to nuclear weapons isn't true.  It probably isn't even true that all Egyptians in government oppose this.  Only some do.

That is a libertarian analysis of government and in this case, foreign policy.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 11:52 AM

I thought it was clear I was talking about people in power and various interests that support them. That doesn't mean that common folks support all their decisions or even care about them.

Page 2 of 2 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS