Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why don't animals have rights?

rated by 0 users
This post has 104 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:08 PM

wilderness:

zefreak:

Are you daft? He is equivocating morality and legality. Isn't this exactly what a natural rights advocate like yourself would reject?

this is old.  read the rest of the thread

So you just didn't realize what he was doing when you called me out on it?

“Elections are Futures Markets in Stolen Property.” - H. L. Mencken

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:14 PM

wilderness:

zefreak:

What about animals that are clearly territorial? More importantly, all animals have the "potential" for self-awareness, and there is evidence that many do have varying degrees of consciousness, including empathy.

old already answered this, but you are a skeptic of the intellect so I can't readily respond to you anyway.  and I'm not going to teach you.

but I'll let you know.  everything you said - HAS nothing to do with what I'm saying.  Some animals might have it - so what?  And rock have the potential of being a rocket scientist too - yeah someday.  This is why discussing with a skeptic is to vacate logic.  Aristotle and Kant were right about this.  I'll stick to science than get stuck talking with a sophist.

Kant could at least use a syllogism, which is useful when you have to, you know, justify an assertion rather than just stating that "it is"?

What does it mean to be a skeptic of the intellect? If you are referring to the impossibility of intellectually "divining" right and wrong, I would consider that upholding the virtues of strict logic, and not falling victim of equivocation and hasty generalizations.

“Elections are Futures Markets in Stolen Property.” - H. L. Mencken

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:20 PM

zefreak:

So you just didn't realize what he was doing when you called me out on it?

No.  I know Spideynw's position, but I don't know yours.  In that post of his I didn't see anything that dismisses potentiality in realizing and thus being able to rationalize with other people to avoid conflict.  Children can learn to rationalize with other people and someday they will not need a guardian.  A mentally illed person can somebody realize rights being that they are human too and other people take care of people that can't currently recognize rights.  People try to guide them.  But if a mentally ill person or a child is breaking into a persons house that owner has to right to stop them.  If a dog or a completely rational person that knows what they are doing (breaking into a house) the owner has the right to stop them.  Anyone of these creatures might listen.  Even a dog might listen to, "HEY Stop it!".  Then good.  But at any point this doesn't happen and any one of these creatures are still coming and all talk has failed then the owner has the right to stop them.

aside from this, any other skepticism you may hold, I will not get into as that being your intention - to be skeptic and find a way to tear down any intellectual construct about this world no matter what the mind has contemplated upon in this world - no need to discuss further.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:29 PM

Spideynw:

wilderness:
I know that is your argument and I disagree with it.  It has lead to inconsistencies not only in this thread but in other threads that I object to.

How is that?

I don't know if you re-read my original post you responded to here.  I did an edit.  sorry

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Spideynw, please entertain us with your comprehensive doctrine of "parent's rights".

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:41 PM

wilderness:
here is life.  There is liberty.  There is property.  Conceptual boundaries can be drawn and define each of these.  When a right is violated it IS a life, liberty, and property being violated.

OK, I will concede your point.

But if I kill someone out of "self-defense", is it wrong?  Did I violate his or her supposed "right to life"?

If you agree that killing someone out of self-defense is not wrong, then you are saying the person that was killed did NOT have a right to life.  However, on the other hand, you claim we all do have a right to life.  So which is it?

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:42 PM

E. R. Olovetto:

Spideynw, please entertain us with your comprehensive doctrine of "parent's rights".

Why?  There is a whole other thread about it.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Spideynw:

...you claim... right to life. 

I never said right to life.  I pointed out what each person has already, inherently.  These are not what people try to get - they already possess these rights.  They are negative (natural) as opposed to positive (legislated) rights.  I thought you knew this.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 2:08 PM

wilderness:

Spideynw:

...you claim... right to life. 

I never said right to life.  I pointed out what each person has already, inherently.  These are not what people try to get - they already possess these rights.  They are negative (natural) as opposed to positive (legislated) rights.  I thought you knew this.

We are just talking semantics.  I just do not see it going anywhere.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

alimentarius:

So if I found a baby in the forest, I could smash it dead?

You could, but it would be unlibertarian.

alimentarius:

Potential, so what? Are you anti-abortion? Are you anti-condom? Condon users deny potential moral agents coming into existence.

Non sequiturs.

alimentarius:

If you're anti killing babies, how can you be pro choice?

If it'swrong to kill a baby, it must be wrong to kill a fetus. None of them have any concepts of rights. Both of them are potential moral beings.

alimentarius:

If you're anti killing babies, how can you be pro choice?

If it'swrong to kill a baby, it must be wrong to kill a fetus. None of them have any concepts of rights. Both of them are potential moral beings.

Non sequitur. Non sequitur. Not required to have rights. See Block.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Saan:
Woof, Woof,  Grrrrrrrrr,  heeem heeem heeem,  woof, grrr,  Ow Ow owwwwwww.  Woof.  pant pant pant.
Worf woof woof ruff-ruff... Wor-roof wuf? Ruff arf-arf, bow-ruff......Governor Marley! A-OOOOOOO! A-OOOOOOO! (ruff ruff ruff) Bow-roo wuf rowwf-- --Arrooof-- --LeChuck! GRRRRRRRRR! Arf, oof-oof, Monkey Island™! *sniff* *sniff*

(from Secret of Monkey Island)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 4:27 PM

zefreak:
I think it is an invalid comparison, but it's not worth arguing.

No it's not, in this case why should one claim that rationality doesn't play a part in the demarcation in rights? Because you feel it's not the case. Then I guess all the years of AI researchers and neurologists and psychologists puzzling over the nature of cognition and self as identity are just wrong? Or maybe I'm extending the point beyond its limits, either way that's how I interpret your response to theirs in terms of the demarcation of rights between humans and non-humans.

Your concept of rights is not Rothbardian, nor natural, and therefor outside of the scope of this argument.

It doesn't matter in this case what's being suggested is that non-human animals of certain classifications have the same rights (not similar). Whether you're bitching about Rothbardian interpretation or not, my argument is still within the scope and bounds of the thread at large (such as we're talking about HUMAN RIGHTS APPLYING TO NON-HUMAN ANIMALS). So, why don't you just admit that you don't feel it's not worth your time to argue over my pov, that's fine. But to play any dishonest games of defining what kind of theory of rights or what particular branch we're talking about is silly. So don't do it, k (Hint: the OP DID NOT FRAME THE ARGUMENT BEYOND A SIMPLE QUESTION)?

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Spideynw:

E. R. Olovetto:

Why?  There is a whole other thread about it.

link? Is there something you are embarrassed to say.  It could be your idea that: since your own flesh and blood infant can not object to you using it as a sex toy, you can happily enjoy your children as sex toys. Don't attempt to distance yourself from the implications of your blathering by stating it as some done and over with, widely accepted view it is not. It is humorous that you pretend to be a radical libertarian while expressing 18th century views on wives, children, and domestics. We'll again ignore that your "theory" means it is okay to pick a sleeping man's pocket, or stab him in the neck.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 20

I don't think the real issue is whether or not doing something is "ok."  The question is do (natural) rights exist?  I would say no.  If they do exist, do they protect the sleeping man?  Observably, not.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 6:24 PM

E. R. Olovetto:
It could be your idea that: since your own flesh and blood infant can not object to you using it as a sex toy, you can happily enjoy your children as sex toys.

Yes, you can.  And someone may find out about it, and kill you, regardless of the legality.

E. R. Olovetto:
We'll again ignore that your "theory" means it is okay to pick a sleeping man's pocket, or stab him in the neck.

My reasoning suggests no such thing.  Refusing to ask for permission just because someone is sleeping, does not give one the right to do whatever he or she wants to another.  Refusing to ask permission and being unable to ask permission are two completely different things.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:30 AM

Esuric:

Animals will have rights when they start to claim them.

Does biting your face off count as claiming their rights? Or do they need to speak in a language that you can understand?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:00 AM

jmorris84:
Does biting your face off count as claiming their rights?

No.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:05 AM

Spideynw:

jmorris84:
Does biting your face off count as claiming their rights?

No.

So then they need to speak your language in order for you to understand.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:29 AM

jmorris84:

No.  There has to be evidence to believe that they can reason and self-actualize.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 353
Points 5,400
nhaag replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 11:21 AM

laminustacitus:

Its a good question why animals do not have rights in a Rothbardian framework for animals have control over their bodies, so would it not follow that they own themselves, and that we need to apply the non-aggression axiom in our relations with them?

:-) Haha, here we go again,no?

My take on that is :

1.) rights are concepts to avoid or minimize conflicts between humans over scarce resources.

2.) self-ownership is human concept and aplies to humans

3.) humans can use their rational mind to agree on rights, animals might be able to do that as well within their own species but sure not between species.

4.) Unless we aim for extinction we should not engage in suicidal ideas regarding other species and their rights.

5.) Another question is what ethical views one has regarding animals and how to cope with them.

In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded.

Terry Pratchett (on the big bang theory)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:58 PM

Spideynw:

jmorris84:

No.  There has to be evidence to believe that they can reason and self-actualize.

So someone who has autism to the point that they are living in another world, has no rights?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

jmorris84:
So someone who has autism to the point that they are living in another world, has no rights?

you just said it makes no difference to them whether they have rights or not in this world. its more important to you than to them . I assume this is because its important to you on their behalf. yet they don't have a behalf..........

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 2:51 PM

nirgrahamUK:

jmorris84:

you just said it makes no difference to them whether they have rights or not in this world. its more important to you than to them . I assume this is because its important to you on their behalf. yet they don't have a behalf..........

I honestly have no idea what you just said.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 3:00 PM

jmorris84:

Spideynw:

Given the premise, that would be correct.  However, I do not know a lot about autism.  I thought they could reason and self-actualize.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
wadams replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 8:25 PM

I. Ryan:

Esuric:

Animals will have rights when they start to claim them.

If you seriously believe that the 'right' to not be enslaved and killed presupposes the ability to speak our language, you must also believe that I, as an individual who is completely unable to speak Polish but is able to speak English, would not violate the such 'rights' of an individual who is able to speak Polish but is not able to speak English if I were to enslave and then later kill that individual because that individual would "have rights" only "when they start to claim them" in a way which I am currently able to understand.

I think that we should change the statement to "Animals will have rights when they start to argue." 

We recognize that all humans have rights because we know that humans have the capacity to argue.  By engaging in argumentation, instead of using coercion, we presuppose that the other person has self-ownership rights AND, more importantly, that they are going to respect our self-ownership rights. 

Page 3 of 3 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS