Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Monetary Policy and the loss of Manufacturing Jobs

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
Rios9000 Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2008 8:07 AM

I've heard Ron Paul mention several times that our monetary policy, as well as having the reserve currency of the world, is the culprit of our shrinking manufacturing sector. Something along the lines of our number one export is paper dollars so the jobs follow our dollars overseas where costs are cheaper. In essence, while free trade is usually blamed, fiat money is the real problem. This kind of makes sense to me, but could anyone explain this process in a little more depth. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Points 2,285
DougM replied on Mon, Jan 14 2008 1:38 PM

The part that you’re missing is the technical aspect of how the Federal Reserve creates money. This is understandable because critics often use the metaphor that the Fed is “printing’ money or “creating money out of thin air.”

What actually happens is that the domestic trading desk at the New York Federal Reserve Bank buys securities on behalf of the Federal Reserve System from a group of securities dealers. The Fed pays for these securities by crediting the accounts that the securities dealers’ banks have with the NYFRB, thus creating money. So when the Fed creates money, they simultaneously create a debt security.

This process increases the supply of debt securities and puts downward pressure on interest rates. However, because of the relative stability of the U.S. economy, foreign investors have an interest in buying these securities. The securities are paid for from the proceeds of the goods and services that the foreign investors sell to the U.S. It is these debt securities, and not paper dollars, that are one of our major exports. Thus, in a roundabout way, the increase in the money supply causes an increase in the demand for foreign manufactured goods.

It is important to keep in mind that paper dollars are actually a small part of the total money supply. Most people receive most of their income from checks or direct deposits and make most of their major purchases with checks (or credit cards with final payment in the form of a check). The resulting clearing transactions do not require any paper dollars.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
Rios9000 replied on Mon, Jan 14 2008 2:31 PM

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about this a little more. Since most Keynsians believe consumption drives the economy (I find it ironic that liberal intellectuals rant against consumerism while liberal economists celebrate it, cognitive dissonance I guess) so the economic policy of the US is to push as much money toward consumption as possible (ie welfare, minimum wage, credit expansion, etc.) that this, while increasing consumption simultaneously decreases investment into production. So our productive capacity is reduced while consumption increases. But since someone has to produce for us to consume we inevitably look abroad where they can produce more effiecently than we can. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
crem88 replied on Tue, Feb 5 2008 12:56 AM

Why is manufacturing more efficient overseas?  How does our monetary policy make their manufacturing more efficient?  I guess my main question is my manufacturing has moved overseas?  Is it all sweatshop labor?  I don't think so.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Points 2,285
DougM replied on Tue, Feb 5 2008 9:09 AM

Not all manufacturing is more efficient overseas. In fact, many foreign automobile manufacturers have built plants in the U.S. southern states. These states have right to work programs, which means that workers cannot be forced to join a union.

Much of the manufacturing that is done overseas is very labor-intensive. For example, garment manufacturing still involves rows of women sitting behind sewing machines. In these cases, labor is a very large part of the total cost of the manufacturing process. Also, some countries, such as Japan, have government programs that strongly encourage saving. Conversely, the U.S. monetary system discourages saving because it causes a devaluation of the dollar. Although both systems are coercive, the additional savings (as a percentage of income) in other countries provides more money for investment in capital projects. This increased saving has a compounding effect on increasing capital investment and, consequently, productivity. Dr. Reisman’s book, Capitalism, provides a very good discussion of how this works.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

So when the Fed creates money, they simultaneously create a debt security. 

This process increases the supply of debt securities and puts downward pressure on interest rates. However, because of the relative stability of the U.S. economy, foreign investors have an interest in buying these securities. The securities are paid for from the proceeds of the goods and services that the foreign investors sell to the U.S. It is these debt securities, and not paper dollars, that are one of our major exports. Thus, in a roundabout way, the increase in the money supply causes an increase in the demand for foreign manufactured goods.

Would you mind going into greater detail how increased demand for debt securities implies higher demand for foreign manufactured goods? I see the point you're trying to make, but I'm not sure how it follows (maybe I am being dense here.) 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 220
DougM:
So when the Fed creates money, they simultaneously create a debt security.
This may seem like a minor quibble but I don't think this is accurate. In carrying out Open Market operations the Fed purchases already existing government securities (old bonds).
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 335
Rios9000 replied on Tue, Feb 5 2008 12:08 PM
Well it's not all more efficient overseas, especially for things like corn, cheese, oranges, most technology and information goods, etc. We still export 1.2 trillion dollars in goods a year (the problem is we import 2 trillion). Labor is surely cheaper in many places overseas, and I'm sure Sarbanes-Oaxley and all our other regulations and taxes are part of the reason US companies want are outsourcing. Another issue, like I mentioned above is that Americans consume so much. Something like 60% of our economy is based on consumption. The average American saves something like negative 1% of their annual income while I've heard the average in China is 35%. If the average American saved that and let's say the average income for every working American (approximately 150 million) is $40,000 we'd save 2.1 trillion dollars a year (more than all of our imports). Demand (and price) for products would drastically decrease at home and foreign markets would then look more appealing to our producers and our market would look less appealing to foreigners. The trade balance would reverse dramatically! Our savings would be used for capital formation into a vast array of new ventures that would produce even more making us even richer. Am I missing anything here?
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Points 2,285
DougM replied on Tue, Feb 5 2008 4:30 PM

I have to correct my previous post. In addition to buying and selling treasuries, the Fed also lends and borrows them (through repurchase agreements).

John, I don’t disagree with you. The Fed usually buys existing securities from primary dealers. I was trying to simplify the answer by not getting too much into the technicalities. However, the primary dealers often participate in the Treasury auctions and then sell the treasuries to the Fed. Also, I’m not aware of any rule that would prohibit the Fed from participating in auctions if they chose to.

Inquisitor, the simplest way to describe how increased demand for debt securities implies a higher demand for foreign manufactured goods is Roger Garrison’s description in Time and Money. He says (and I don’t have the book with me, so this is just from memory) that the U.S. is receiving shipments of manufactured goods and paying for them with treasuries. Of course, the relationship is not actually nearly this direct. A German investor might purchase securities from a U.S. dealer through a London dealer. The German investor earned the money to purchase these securities through investments in a German manufacturer. As a result of the transaction, the U.S. dealer now has additional money that he uses to purchase German manufactured goods. The net result is that the U.S dealer has traded U.S. government debt for German manufactured goods.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS