Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

You know you're an Austrian when...

This post has 75 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric Posted: Wed, Sep 23 2009 8:59 PM

your professors generally don't know what you're talking about.

continue, this might be fun.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 170
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 9:15 PM

when you feel like less of a control freak

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

When you realize that bathroom lines in stadiums are a result of prices being too low.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Laughing Man:

When you realize that bathroom lines in stadiums are a result of prices being too low.

When being in line for anything makes you think of the Soviet Union.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 9:51 PM

Laughing Man:

nice

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 695

"When you stand alone at parties."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

When you know the other person's argument better than the other person.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,160

When you're yelling at your opponent to learn his capital theory.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

when you incorporate malinvestment into conversations

when you get paid, and feel it is utterly worthless because the currency didn't originate in the market

when you can pick Stephan Kinsella, Jeffrey Tucker, Peter Klein and Joe Salerno out of a lineup

when you know Margit von Mises' pet name for her husband.

You know you read LRC when

You can't stop saying gunverment

You assume everyone in DC is a parasite

You have a pathological hatred of Wii Fit

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 10:39 PM

When you never leave your calculator at home.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 10:41 PM

liberty student:

when you can pick Stephan Kinsella, Jeffrey Tucker, Peter Klein and Joe Salerno out of a lineup

When you can pick Art Carden, Yuri Maltsev, Bill Anderson, and Mike Rozeff out of a lineup.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 199
Points 3,930

When you have an Austrian passport.

Oh, did I misunderstand something?

A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 10:53 PM

Daniel:
When you can pick Art Carden, Yuri Maltsev, Bill Anderson, and Mike Rozeff out of a lineup.

I'm not going to lie, I don't know who Art Carden, Bill Anderson, and Mike Rozeff are.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 11:07 PM

Lee Kelly:

When you have an Austrian passport.

Oh, did I misunderstand something?

When you find that ^^^^^ humorous.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Esuric:
I'm not going to lie, I don't know who Art Carden, Bill Anderson, and Mike Rozeff are.

Ha!  I haven't seen Yuri Maltsev in awhile, but I can pick out Carden, Rozeff and Anderson no problem.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Robert Higgs sat at my dinner table one day, and I was the only person who knew who he was.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 11:17 PM

Daniel:

Laughing Man:

When being in line for anything makes you think of the Soviet Union.

When you extend this analysis to include traffic jams.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 12:35 AM

Yuri:

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:17 AM

.... you're on mises.org at 2:30 am.

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

bbnet:

End of thread.  Time for bed.  2:42 am.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

When you stop finding certain jokes funny, because they don't make sense economically speaking.

This has happened multiple times to me, to the point where my friends begin to scowl about how "you can't tell jokes" to me.

Nitroadict:

bbnet:

End of thread.  Time for bed.  2:42 am.

Bah! Sleep is for the weak, my good friend.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 139
Points 2,970
Magnus replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 4:06 AM

When you are the only one at  econ class questioning the professors lack of epistemological teachings.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 4:32 AM

You know you're an Austrian when... you realise markets don't fail, only governments do.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

You know you're Austrian when you'll go blue in the face trying to convince people that Hitler was German.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:37 AM

The point about saying things your prof can't understand is important. Austrians have a huge advantage over other students. In class after class, in nearly every discipline, an Austrian can add unique insights from history and theory. Profs are often astounded at the brilliant young student in the class, throwing out names of thinkers like Spooner or Etiene de la Boetie  or points about the methodenstreit - stuff that no one else knows about.. Austrians can appear to be the most erudite student the prof has ever had. It provides endless sources for topics of papers, with arguments to please either a right wing or left wing teacher. It's like magic. Profs are often astounded and thrilled, while having no clue about the source of all this stuff.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

jtucker:

The point about saying things your prof can't understand is important. Austrians have a huge advantage over other students. In class after class, in nearly every discipline, an Austrian can add unique insights from history and theory. Profs are often astounded at the brilliant young student in the class, throwing out names of thinkers like Spooner or Etiene de la Boetie  or points about the methodenstreit - stuff that no one else knows about.. Austrians can appear to be the most erudite student the prof has ever had. It provides endless sources for topics of papers, with arguments to please either a right wing or left wing teacher. It's like magic. Profs are often astounded and thrilled, while having no clue about the source of all this stuff.

We are just normal people on the shoulders of giants Mr. Tucker.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:37 PM

krazy kaju:
When you stop finding certain jokes funny, because they don't make sense economically speaking.

10/10

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

When you start using terms like "time-preference" in everyday conversations.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

When you get annoyed when someone implies that the value of something is not subjective, as in "this house is selling below its true value."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130
Praetyre replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 4:19 PM

Daniel:
When you get annoyed when someone implies that the value of something is not subjective, as in "this house is selling below its true value."

I have this exact problem, as well as a similar one regarding wages.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 64
Points 1,080
AF replied on Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:14 PM

jtucker:

Would I be correct in assuming this applies more to later year studies? I'm a first year econ student and frankly all my knowledge of Austrian econ is doing now as far as my education is concerned is making me irritated at the fallicious keynesian economics I'm being taught and at the heavy statistical bent my course seems to have.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 12:38 AM

When you know what the words a priori, methodenstreit, and verstehen mean.  Bonus points if you can pronounce them Stick out tongue

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Adam Frost:

Would I be correct in assuming this applies more to later year studies? I'm a first year econ student and frankly all my knowledge of Austrian econ is doing now as far as my education is concerned is making me irritated at the fallicious keynesian economics I'm being taught and at the heavy statistical bent my course seems to have.

It depends entirely how you come across.  Your professors are your professors, and should be treated as such.  Not just out of respect (although, this should be a big reason), but because they are the professors who will write letters of recomendation once you graduate and you're looking for an internship/job/masters/PhD.  Nevertheless, generally those who are knowledgeable on Austrian economics also tend to be very passionate about the subject, and this does show in your classes.  You will also, generally speaking, show more understanding of economic concepts, as compared to your fellow students, and so if you take the time to know your professor (by going to office hours), this will show itself.  All of this will factor in on the professor's impression of you.  That said, you don't necessarily need to pretend to agree with him or her, but you will necessarily have to agree to disagree (respectfully, and almost always inclining towards his opinion).  The main thing is to show the professor that he is supporting someone that shows promise to have a very successful future in the field.  That said, Austrian economics is condusive to giving you a head start to show that over your peers.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 9:23 AM

You know you're an Austrian...

when you tend to disagree with everyone in a conversation about politics or economics.

when Ron Paul talks about something besides war and still makes sense to you.

when economists who wear bow ties have more credibility in your eyes.

when you wish for a privately owned super highway on the way home from work after being caught in Long Island traffic for more than two hours because some moron government cops decided to block all three lanes of traffic and lay down flares and leave their lights and sirens blaring as they proceeded to try and get a cat out of a tree on the side of the road.

That last one may be kind of particular and personal now that I think about it.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

xahrx:
when you wish for a privately owned super highway on the way home from work after being caught in Long Island traffic for more than two hours because some moron government cops decided to block all three lanes of traffic and lay down flares and leave their lights and sirens blaring as they proceeded to try and get a cat out of a tree on the side of the road.

Well what you didn't see were the grief counselors trying to reason with the cat and find out why it is in the tree.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

I got a good one.

You know your an Austrian when you know the reason behind increased frisbee sales after an Austrian lecture on money.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 9:08 AM

liberty student:
You can't stop saying gunverment

I need to say that more often.  Great pun Liberty Student.

Anyways, you know you're an Austrian when you don't confuse the FDA and voluntary consumer protection.

Schools are labour camps.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Wed, Oct 7 2009 9:14 AM

Conza88:

You know you're an Austrian when... you realise markets don't fail, only governments do.

Actually, its when you realize that markets avoid failure, but that government cannot.

Schools are labour camps.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Your an Austrian whenever your here the acronym PDA you immediately think of  Private Defence Angency and not Personal Digital Assistant.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 55
Points 1,445

...when the conflation of Corporatism and free-enterprise makes your blood boil

Page 1 of 2 (76 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS