Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Reading material for economics...

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,430
CShirk Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2008 5:15 PM

I've finished off virutally all of the economics material that I own, and it is becoming a major area of interest for me - especially with respect to policy, government, and politics. So far I've read:

Economic Policy by Ludwig vonMises

Principles of Economics by Carl Menger

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlit (spelling? book's packed up)

I'm thinking of picking up some of Keyne's work, for perspective, as well as "The Communist Manifesto" as some people keep bringing it up in discussions at University (go figure). Are there any other books you all would recommend to add to my current material? Alternately, I am considering starting a double major - or at least a minor - in economics, but I'm not entirely sure if I'll have the money to do so.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 3,585
Deist replied on Mon, Jan 14 2008 5:43 PM

If you have the time I highly recommend "Money, Bank Credit and Economic Cycles" by Jesus Huerta De Soto. It is a very detailed, in depth take into the nature of monetary policies such as fractional reserve banking. It also goes through certain historical recessions and goes to the heart of what caused them. It is big tome but a really great one to have.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 3,585
Deist replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 9:45 AM

Also Marx's Das Capital is really good to check out.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 10:57 AM

Time for one of the big texts, I think. If you have the time, at least. Man, Economy and State. That is what I begin reading as of next week. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS