Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Re: Against Rights-Skepticism

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2009 1:14 PM

nirgrahamUK:

what is a good example of a point of contention that could form the topic of discussion, the point to be decided, in a rational argument between a rights believer and a rights-sceptic ?

I would like to know if that's possible, but I doubt it (which is only an affirmation that a skeptic exists).  A skeptics whole approach and intention is to find a way around it to affirm that skepticism is 'the real deal' that it has a place.  That's only natural.  But to affirm their own position is to affirm something which isn't to be skeptical.  So I frankly don't know, but maybe a skeptic could provide their story on this.  I'm all ears.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
 I'm all ears.
dont hold your breath ;-)

but i think it shows that my statement about rational argument was not trivial....

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
A skeptics whole approach and intention is to find a way around it to affirm that skepticism is 'the real deal' that it has a place.

A skeptic (IMO) is someone who is trying to be honest about epistemology.

Attributing intention is just hand waving.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Are you being absolutely honest about what you are saying?  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:

I don't understand the question.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

liberty student:

wilderness:

I don't understand the question.

Are you merely being skeptical now?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
Are you merely being skeptical now?

I always try to be skeptical, and hopefully not too cynical.  Cynicism is the easy way out.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
You just figured it out - I think.

Less thinking about what you cannot know please.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

good for you.

This is why I asked if you are 'absolutely honest about what you said', but for some unknown reason to me you didn't answer it.

Kant:

"Absolute scepticism declares that everything is semblance.  It distinguishes, then, semblance from truth, and must therefore possess some mark of the distinction.  Consequently it must suppose a knowledge of truth, and thereby it contradicts itself."

Kant goes on to discuss sceptism (NOT absolute sceptism - sceptism alone) is good for a critical processing of knowledge as long as the process "gives hope of attaining to certainty".

So I ask again and I'll even put in other words, are you absolutely honest or simply being honest about what you are saying?  And you were saying you are a skeptic - so - are you absolutely being skeptical or simply skeptical according to what I've quoted from Kant here.

I was simply asking a question to understand what you mean.  calm down.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

i didn't say "I know" (you did).  I said "I think".  I reserved my opinion to be affirmed by yours.  relax dude.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
This is why I asked if you are 'absolutely honest about what you said', but for some unknown reason to me you didn't answer it.

I thought you rephrased it as was I being skeptical, and I tried to answer that.  If you were just being a smartass when I asked for clarification, then that seems to be a problem of your own making...

wilderness:
Kant:

"Absolute scepticism declares that everything is semblance.  It distinguishes, then, semblance from truth, and must therefore possess some mark of the distinction.  Consequently it must suppose a knowledge of truth, and thereby it contradicts itself."

Quoting some egghead is meaningless to me.  If you can't convey the message within that quote in your own words, then you might want to reconsider deferring to it.

wilderness:

Kant goes on to discuss sceptism (NOT absolute sceptism - sceptism alone) is good for a critical processing of knowledge as long as the process "gives hope of attaining to certainty".

So I ask again and I'll even put in other words, are you absolutely honest or simply being honest about what you are saying?  And you were saying you are a skeptic - so - are you absolutely being skeptical or simply skeptical according to what I've quoted from Kant here.

The rest is just more of the typical wordiness and headaches.  Can I just get a simple question, without the assumption of guilt (for god knows what) or some attempt to trap me?  Can you just ask, in plain english, that everyone here, can easily understand, what it is you need to know?

I'm willing to answer most questions publicly (1) if the questions are posted in good faith, and (2) if I can understand them.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

wilderness:
i didn't say "I know" (you did).  I said "I think".

I wasn't aware that one could know without thinking.  Learn something new every day.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

maybe you two should split this thread and discuss the utility and feasibility of speculation elsewhere

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

liberty student:

wilderness:

I thought you rephrased it as was I being skeptical, and I tried to answer that.  If you were just being a smartass when I asked for clarification, then that seems to be a problem of your own making...

lol  I wasn't rephrasing it.  I was asking if 'your not understanding what I said' is called what being skeptical is.

liberty student:

wilderness:
Kant:

Quoting some egghead is meaningless to me.  If you can't convey the message within that quote in your own words, then you might want to reconsider deferring to it.

I wanted you to know that I was asking with intent and not simply bumbling along with words.  I gave thought to what I was saying.

liberty student:

wilderness:

The rest is just more of the typical wordiness and headaches.  Can I just get a simple question, without the assumption of guilt (for god knows what) or some attempt to trap me?

I'm not trying to trap you.  If you have a headache from words I can't help that.

liberty student:

Can you just ask, in plain english, that everyone here, can easily understand, what it is you need to know?

I'm willing to answer most questions publicly (1) if the questions are posted in good faith, and (2) if I can understand them.

they are posted in good faith and if you can't understand them then I'll move on.  I can't discuss with somebody that doesn't understand it would naturally go nowhere productive.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

liberty student:

wilderness:
i didn't say "I know" (you did).  I said "I think".

I wasn't aware that one could know without thinking.  Learn something new every day.

your from Canada what can I say.Stick out tongue  it's common vernacular where I live to distinguish between what I think and what I know.  of course I can think what i know but that doesn't mean what I think is of full knowledge and as I explained to you but you are unwilling to accept is that full knowledge of what I thought relies upon what you have to say too. 

i'm dropping this seeing that you're in a particular mood not to honestly dialogue at the moment

nir was right I shouldn't hold my breathStick out tongue

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

nirgrahamUK:

maybe you two should split this thread and discuss the utility and feasibility of speculation elsewhere

Thread split, discussion over.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS