Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Child molestation

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw Posted: Mon, Sep 28 2009 12:42 PM

If I molest my baby/toddler, what are you going to do about it?   If you are going to do something about it, why do you think you have any right to do anything about it?

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

A thread called "Child Molestation" and then ...

Spideynw:
This thread is specifically for LS.

I suggest you rename, delete it, or whatever.  I'm not interested in the discussion as you have framed it.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

A thread called "Child Molestation" and then ...

Spideynw:

I suggest you rename, delete it, or whatever.  I'm not interested in the discussion as you have framed it.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:32 PM

Spideynw:
If I molest my baby/toddler, what are you going to do about it?   If you are going to do something about it, why do you think you have any right to do anything about it?

The general tone of the question leads me to want to ask another one in return: are children not being molested now with all the supposed government protection they get?  Isn't one of the few somewhat useful things coming from Bill O'Reilly these days his constant calling out of judges who seem to routinely give rapists and child molesters a pass and/or ridiculously short sentences?

Also, how much abuse/molestation takes place with children who are forcibly pushed into foster care?

General question: does anyone else get slightly annoyed at these questions which are framed to try and make it sound ridiculous that you want to trust issue X or Y to the free market, while the government is busy royally screwing that issue up, a fact which conveniently gets left out of the questioning as if the issue is being handled perfectly right now?

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:50 PM

deleted

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:57 PM

xahrx:
The general tone of the question leads me to want to ask another one in return: are children not being molested now with all the supposed government protection they get?

As far as I know, children are still being molested.

xahrx:
General question: does anyone else get slightly annoyed at these questions which are framed to try and make it sound ridiculous that you want to trust issue X or Y to the free market,

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for the free market.  But I argue that it is up to parents how they treat their children, until the point at which the child can claim his or her rights. But it does not matter what I think.  What matters, is what would anyone do about it if I did?  And what would society think about that person for doing something about it?   And so, once the government is gone, I want to know what you anarchists would do about it, if anything, if you found out your neighbor was "molesting" his or her child?  Because there are quite a few on here that think that killing or molesting a baby is immoral beyond belief.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:07 PM
Spidey,

You need to prove that it is morally right to kill people - whether they are 'your children' or grown up strangers is wholly irrelevant - good luck with proving that murder is morally good.

As to the issue of so called child molestation, it's obviously a problem related to consent. If 'children' don't consent to being 'molested' then it's rape - if they do consent then the issue is irrelevant from a libertarian point of view.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Spideynw:
You call me Mr. Child Rapist

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/10866/255000.aspx#255000

I did not.  This thread has been sent to the graveyard.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:13 PM
What happens to 'buried' threads ? Do people write messages that are ultimately deleted when some moderator happens to have some personal issue ?

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:18 PM

Spideynw:
And so, once the government is gone, I want to know what you anarchists would do about it, if anything, if you found out your neighbor was "molesting" his or her child?  Because there are quite a few on here that think that killing or molesting a baby is immoral beyond belief.

Ya think?

Personally if I knew it was happening I'd do everything I could to publicize it.  Kill the person's reputation, destroy their ability to do business in the community.  Also, who says those kids can't retroactively assert a rights violation?  In which case one could fund an organization dedicated to giving post emancipation support to such kids so they could legally rip their parents a new one when the time came.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

*boinks the children on the free market*

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:28 PM

deleted

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:34 PM

Juan:
You need to prove that it is morally right to kill people

Not really.  Just that it is morally right to kill babies/toddlers.

Juan:
As to the issue of so called child molestation, it's obviously a problem related to consent.

So is killing animals then.

Juan:
If 'children' don't consent to being 'molested' then it's rape

And if an animal does not consent to being killed, then it is murder.

Juan:
if they do consent then the issue is irrelevant from a libertarian point of view.

And you are obviously wholly unwilling to recognize that in reality, babies/toddlers, just like animals, have no way to give consent, and therefore, no one has any right to complain if someone molests his or her own child or kills his or her own animal.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:42 PM

xahrx:
Personally if I knew it was happening I'd do everything I could to publicize it.  Kill the person's reputation, destroy their ability to do business in the community.

This seems to be the most rational response I have seen so far.

xahrx:
Also, who says those kids can't retroactively assert a rights violation?

It may be possible.  I am not really sure what the market would decide.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Spideynw:

This thread is specifically for LS.  But anyone is welcome to comment.

Your question is very ill-described, so as to not be answerable. You don't even describe where the event occurs, or even if LS sees you do it.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Spideynw:

Already told you, not interested.

Spideynw:
Oh, sorry for misquoting you.

Spideynw:
Oh, and glad to see you exercising your power to trash a thread,

If you hadn't tried to lie about my position (which was my concern when you started this thread) then I wouldn't have trashed it.

You're welcome to discuss this topic, simply leave me out of it.  Since you refuse to do that, I trashed it.  You can always start a new thread.  One that does not add me into a discussion I want no part of, and have declared no position over.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:54 PM

liberty student:
If you hadn't tried to lie about my position

I didn't try to lie about your position.  I misquoted you.  Grow up.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:57 PM
Just that it is morally right to kill babies/toddlers.
Which are human beings. So go ahead, prove that it is morally right to kill toddlers.
As to the issue of so called child molestation, it's obviously a problem related to consent.
So is killing animals then.
Yes, if you are so detached from reality that you can't tell the difference between, say, humans and dogs.
If 'children' don't consent to being 'molested' then it's rape
And if an animal does not consent to being killed, then it is murder.
Yes, and if pigs had wings...
And you are obviously wholly unwilling to recognize that in reality, babies/toddlers, just like animals, have no way to give consent
But the thread is about 'children' and depending on age, can consent or not to lots of things.
no one has any right to complain if someone molests his or her own child or kills his or her own animal.
In your mind, yes. But you've not proven why it's morally OK to kill children. And, no your legalistic mistakes are not relevant.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:31 PM

Look Juan, regardless of the morality of it, what would you do about it?  If you found out your neighbor was molesting his or her child, what would you do?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:16 PM

Publicly scrutinize my neighbor and develop peer pressure to have him stop. Maybe even have it so bad that the person gives the child up again. Stores could actively decide not to sell to that person untill the behavior changed or the child was removed. I'm sure there are plenty of free market solutions that could bring the situation to a screaching hault without violating property rights.

The issue though is knowing about it. I'm assuming we had prior knowledge of the behavior going on.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:42 PM

filc:
The issue though is knowing about it. I'm assuming we had prior knowledge of the behavior going on.

Yes.

filc:
Publicly scrutinize my neighbor and develop peer pressure to have him stop.

That would be 2 votes for this strategy.  It seems reasonable to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 2,255
Solarist replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:49 PM

If this occurred and it was in my personal power to do something (i.e I saw it, you are my neighbor,  etc) I would probably violate all your property rights... and deal with whatever consequences after.   Would be hard to resist the emotion something like this would provoke with or without a government.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 4:54 PM

Solarist:

If this occurred and it was in my personal power to do something (i.e I saw it, you are my neighbor,  etc) I would probably violate all your property rights... and deal with whatever consequences after.   Would be hard to resist the emotion something like this would provoke with or without a government.

At least you are being honest.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 5:19 PM

The thing to remember is that libertarianism will not rid the world of evil men. Sometimes these posts are a play on emotion but keeping an eye on the big picture we can never get rid of evil. If we didn't have evil we wouldn't know what evil was. So all we can do is learn how to address evil as responsibly and respectfully as possible. In a libertarian society where your not counting on big brother this responsibility lies in your community. Neighbors would actually be neighbors. Shoot, you might actually even know everyone on your block! 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Thread cleaned up and moved out of graveyard per OP.

@OP, never ask me to do this ever again.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:30 PM

liberty student:

Thread cleaned up and moved out of graveyard per OP.

@OP, never ask me to do this ever again.

Did I break some forum rule that warranted it being moved in the first place?  If not, what is up with the threats?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

being moved isnt the end of the world. its incentive to clean up thread or cut it out.

plus

You weren't threatened LS asked you not to place certain conversational obligations on him. Thats not unfair.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:36 PM

Spideynw:
Did I break some forum rule that warranted it being moved in the first place?  If not, what is up with the threats?

imo let it slide so we can actually continue a good conversation. Don't let it bug you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:38 PM

nirgrahamUK:

You weren't threatened LS asked you not to place certain conversational obligations on him. Thats not unfair.

His "conversational obligations" amounted to nothing more than any normal engagement on this forum. I just quoted you. Does that amount to some sort of unfair "conversational obligation"?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I Ryan, when did you stop beating your wife?

feel free not to respond.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:45 PM

nirgrahamUK:
being moved isnt the end of the world. its incentive to clean up thread or cut it out.

I cleaned up the thread, even though no forum rules were broken that I know of, and then I advised him (assuming he was the moderator that moved it), and then he tells me to not ever ask him to move a thread again (that he moved)?  That is not incentive to "clean it up", that is just being a rogue moderator.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'm moving all of the posts back that I moved out, and I am moving the thread back to the graveyard.

And I'm done with it now.  Don't email me.  Start a new thread.  And leave me out of it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:50 PM

deleted

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ok there's no reason to have this particular discussion in public. i'm going to delete the last few posts on this thread unless i hear some good objections. take it private if you need to take it anywhere. but i hardly think there's any point.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I just moved all of the offensive posts back.

I tried to clean it up, wasting 15 minutes of my time, and I'm still getting grief.  Well, if I am going to get grief regardless, and I'm going to waste time, then let's leave it where it was, as it was.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ok sure. (p.s. i didnt intend to undo what you did, just the part after you explained what you did and then the complaints came. but whatever i'll leave it)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 7:39 PM

nirgrahamUK:

feel free not to respond.

Pass.

nirgrahamUK:

I Ryan, when did you stop beating your wife?

I never started.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (38 items) | RSS