Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

So what do Mises fellows do as hobbies?

rated by 0 users
This post has 42 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 450
Points 15,430
Novus Zarathustra Posted: Tue, Sep 29 2009 12:41 AM

Any video games, anyone?

I like anime, and have an Xbox 360. Right now I'm playing BlazBlue, and waiting for CoD:MW 2.

I also play piano in a jazz band Cool

• | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:38 AM

my gamertag is s3r3n17y add me, lol, just got odst and nhl10, gonna get mw2 in my free time I do normal stuff, but I like to read alot of stuff about political theory/ philosophy and what not.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 450
Points 15,430

ah, I don't like reading about Political theory/Economics to be honest, which is what a lot of people do here. I like to read Fantasy/Sci Fi books which have a rewarding and exciting storyline to it.

I read George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, the plot is rather enriching, and it has amazing characters. There's just a really profound feeling of being told a good story.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Eric, is mw2,  Mech Warrior 2?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 55
Points 795
mhamlin replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:57 AM

liberty student:

Eric, is mw2,  Mech Warrior 2?

I'm betting he means Modern Warfare 2...but MechWarrior 2 was out of this worldSmile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Let's hope MW5 gets made.  I haven't gamed seriously in almost 7 years, but I will make a comeback if that happens.  Maybe.  lol

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 341
Points 6,375
sirmonty replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:22 AM

Poker and other various forms of gambling.

Also music.  That too.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
Eliazar replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:47 AM

I convert and paint tabletio miniatures while listening to the audio files from mises.org. Apart from that, just hanging out with people, having a party now and then, the usual stuff...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:11 AM

Eric:

my gamertag is s3r3n17y add me, lol, just got odst and nhl10, gonna get mw2 in my free time I do normal stuff, but I like to read alot of stuff about political theory/ philosophy and what not.

NHL 10 is sick. Im hyped for the regular season to begin!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 390
Points 7,705

I eat Gobi Manchurian!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 574
Points 9,305
Natalie replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:39 AM

Did some gardening this summer but not as much as I'd planned to due to the back pains (yeah, excuses).

Used to play a lot of games (MMO like WoW and Xbox) until I realized I'd already wasted a lot of precious time that has better uses (like learning about finances and investment).

If I hear not allowed much oftener; said Sam, I'm going to get angry.

J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:43 AM

wtf is mech warrior lol. Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Eric:

wtf is mech warrior lol. Big Smile

An amazing game.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9toe4_mech-warrior-5-announcement-trailer_videogames

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 2,255
Solarist replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 12:03 PM

I play xbox 360 online from time to time  Gamertag: Solarist22   add me if you want to play Halo or the new Left 4 Dead 2 coming out in a couple months (it takes place in New Orleans so I'm super excited for that!)

Also, I try to attend live music a few times a week, jazz, blues, rock etc.  I also work in this industry so my Job sometimes doubles as a hobby (only sometimes!)

Play Piano, and recently started playing this thing called a Hang Drum  check out the link to have your mind blown -   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXn5ba0aT8

I'm nowhere near as good as this guy but they are a true joy to play.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 12:41 PM

Democracy for Breakfast:

Any video games, anyone?

I like anime, and have an Xbox 360. Right now I'm playing BlazBlue, and waiting for CoD:MW 2.

I also play piano in a jazz band Cool

We debate liberals and neo-conservatives.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I like to walk, and to cook.  Obviously read.  I'm into Scifi, mostly for escapism.

I work a lot.  I enjoy working.  It is fun and rewarding to produce.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 12:50 PM

• Skiing
  • Biking
  • Running
  • Reading
    • When not reading Libertarian paraphernalia I read mostly fiction. I've been in the Wheel of Time series for a time. Need to start reading book 11, the series has kinda slowed down...
  • Gaming

In that order. I can barely play console games though, most of them I find them extremely boring. Accept Braid. I got an Xbox360 and the only game I've actually finished was Braid. Other then that it just collects dust under my desk. My gaming is mostly confined to my PC. Right now it's mostly Eve online while I wait for Sc2 and D3. 

word

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:49 PM

Guitar, marksmanship, gunsmith and read

Criminals, there ought to be a law.

Criminals there ought to be a whole lot more.   Bon Scott.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Erm gaming (fantasy RPGs/RTS/TBS/sims mostly, and WoW primarily; I own a PS3), reading (econ, philosophy, fantasy), writing (mainly brainstorming for a fantasy setting of my own fabrication), metal, movies sometimes. I'm not much of an extrovert or very athletic aside from swimming.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 450
Points 15,430

Im surprised by the lack of Bioshock in a Mises topic.

Looks like a lot of people here hate doing non-productive things such as playing video games xP.

The only gamer I know here, is whoever In_Your_House is on Gamefaqs.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:15 PM

FEAR, NG2, HALO 1, 2, 3. and the best of all time.  Civ

Criminals, there ought to be a law.

Criminals there ought to be a whole lot more.   Bon Scott.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525

I practice parkour... not very good at it at all, but it's fun regardless of skill level. I used to do a lot of programming, but I got kind of bored with it. Same with gaming... spent a lot of time playing WoW, some playing Warhammer, and then games like Tron too. Now a lot of my time is spent working, reading, and seeing movies (which is convenient, because I work for a movie theater).

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 518
Points 9,355

Historical reenacting, firearms, historical-themed video games (think: Victoria and Hearts of Iron), horror and sci fi films/short stories, model railroading, computers.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 14,505

I like  watching DVDs from netflix, playing video games, reading books.  I love my PSP.  The PSP is an awesome system (as well as the DS). 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 8:46 PM

Playing long and rewarding games (like Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime), riding my bike til the end of the world and practicing Krav-Maga (fun and actually useful martial art)

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:06 PM

Not much for vid games but my fav is Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar, also play a few classics on mame like I Robot.

Mainly play disc golf and poker, ride longboard skateboards and motorcycles.

Also saving for my next supa sweet rifle

Yes

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525
Vitor:

and practicing Krav-Maga (fun and actually useful martial art)

I first found out about Krav Maga several weeks ago. I've been meaning to find a place and start taking classes. What's the learning curve like?

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:54 PM

Direct a choir that specializes in the polyphonic repertoire of the Renaissance.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:25 PM

Justin Spahr-Summers:
Vitor:

and practicing Krav-Maga (fun and actually useful martial art)

I first found out about Krav Maga several weeks ago. I've been meaning to find a place and start taking classes. What's the learning curve like?

Well, must of the moves are simple and effective, no mumbo jumbo, the main kick of Krav-Maga is the good old kick to the groin, fine-tunning the moves to be able to use effectively even if you exhausted or caught by surprise that is part of the fun. Although Krav-Maga is brutal and not very artsy, it requires a lot of discipline and will.

Of course there are plenty complex and advanced techniques, as well defense against knives and guns. The physical trainning that is quite demanding, so if you have been sedentary for long, you might struggle at first, but no big deal, nothing you dont get used to by the 2nd month.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 450
Points 15,430

ITT: People who only do productive things Dx

Saan:

FEAR, NG2, HALO 1, 2, 3. and the best of all time.  Civ

Civ would be awesome as hell if you could build a Laissez-Faire economy with the gold standard, and private property.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Democracy for Breakfast:
Civ would be awesome as hell if you could build a Laissez-Faire economy with the gold standard, and private property.

Boring.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:42 PM

laminustacitus:

Democracy for Breakfast:

Boring.

Yeah, it's called modding. 

An unofficial economic system trainer for the game would make it interesting, especially if you could define what private property, what standard, etc. are (i.e. instead of private property in say, a strict sense, you could make it more Georgian or more Mutualist or whatever).

Points if you did this & made a N.A.C. map :D

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 244
Points 4,890

jtucker:

Direct a choir that specializes in the polyphonic repertoire of the Renaissance.

Now that's what I call a hobby. So much to study, never a boring moment.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 3,790
Chris replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:52 PM

Hanging out with my girlfriend, power lifting, reading, watching sports (Yankees, Devils, Giants), etc.  I used to love playing Halo 2 and 3 for Xbox then my 360 broke and I just stopped playing, I may start again though.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 20
Jason replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 11:34 PM

Ham Radio.  Linux.  Theology.  Libertarian stuff.

God, I'm a nerd.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

i want to train to do  parkor

right now i can build computers, learning about politics and economics

i like doing anything pretty much.

-almost got arrested the other day, but its k

ive noticing cops breahing 1st 5th and 4th amendment rights so gay right?

i also game, world of tanks (kelvinsilva) and bfbc2 company of heroes, and hearts of iron 3 (many of u would like since you can control your economy).

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150

EvE Online

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Club hopping on weekends.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Hiking, gardening (permaculture), playing bass guitar and drums, arguing, reading, fishing.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480

Consume fetuses. Live with parents.

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS