Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

You know you're a libertarian/anarcho-capitalist when...

This post has 100 Replies | 36 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Sat, Oct 10 2009 2:36 PM

... when a republican calls you a liberal, and a democrat calls you a fascist.

... when you understand the Constitution and its flaws better than the small-government folks.

... when people at RonPaulForums.com get mad at you for attempting to convert people to anarcho-capitalism.

... when you think of Constitutionalists as statists.

... when you know Karl Marx better and are better read in Marxism than the Marxists.

... when you think Ron Paul is a closet anarcho-capitalist and is using the Walter Block defense that it is okay to work in the government as long as you are attempting to sabotage it.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 455
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445
When you think of everyone in every single government agency or recieving any sort of special benefits as a parasite or thief. Can't hear the word Austrian without thinking of economics. Don't immiediatly think of chaos at the word anarchy. Like a maximum of 5 people in office. Hate most historical figures that the majority. Think of government when you here the word monopoly. Think of both Republicans and Democrates as just 2 different kinds of evil. Adore economic figures none of your friends/family have heard of except from you. Have consistent moral principals
"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

... when the idea of voting is repulsive

... when you see things get blown up in movies, and all you can think is, "super heroes/cops destroy more private property than criminals"

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 3:29 PM

Daniel:
when you think of Constitutionalists as statists.

... when you stop using words like "republican", "democrat" etc and use the term "statist" for all of them

Banned
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,040

... when your "that kid" in class who not only engages the teacher but debates them. 

EDIT: And everyone thinks your crazy because you advocate radical idea's like gold standard, ending drug prohibition or you criticize common sense like Obama deserves the nobel peace prize, and money grows on trees...well I guess the last one...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:20 PM

... when you're playing a first person shooter game and think about how you and the other team could work together to build something instead of kill each other.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:25 PM

Moved

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

... when you cringe when you hear the following phrases:

"... our commander in chief..."
"... our government..."
"... our tax dollars..."
"... they attacked us..."

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 20

I thought I was the only one who thought that Ron Paul was a closet A-C...

The State is the great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else. - Frederic Bastiat (The Law)
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 20

...when the thought of an exciting Friday night includes reading any Rothbard text....

The State is the great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else. - Frederic Bastiat (The Law)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

... when you see black markets as natural and necessary.

... when you forsake politics and embrace moral behaviour.

... when you get excited about videos from the Property and Freedom Society.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

...when you stop using the word "we" when talking about the nation-state.

...when you defend loan sharks as providing a useful social function.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 104
Points 2,185

Snowflake:

Daniel:
when you think of Constitutionalists as statists.

... when you stop using words like "republican", "democrat" etc and use the term "statist" for all of them

this is also my favorite one because thinking in terms of statism and anti-statism is the great simplifier. it's easy to know where you stand on issues once you've entered this paradigm.

.... when you notice that the people you talk to don't understand the you dislike george bush and barack obama equally for deeper reasons that they don't seem to be aware of.

....when you are annoyed when people justify the legalization for marijuana by proposing to couple said legalization with heavy taxation.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 1:32 PM

...when you start writing songs about anarcho-capitalism.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 6,780
MatthewF replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 2:15 PM

...When you get caught taking notes while watching V for Vendetta.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 2:39 PM

... when you admit that despite your success in The Settlers, central planning does not work.

... when political debates with friends become a marketing operation for liberty.

... when causing blank stares by citing Hoppe's comparison between monarchy and democracy has become sooo 2008. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,275
Arvin replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 3:32 PM

... when you embrace truth

... when you feel sick when people talk about what "the government should do to fix X"

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Sphairon:

... when you admit that despite your success in The Settlers, central planning does not work.

... when you play Civilization IV: Colonization without attempting to conquer any other civilization, and by accepting the tax increases by the crown but without ever actually paying the taxes, and by happily paying the Indians for their land.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I'm sorry, Arvin.  For the sake of protecting LvMI from state bastards, I had to delete your first item.

Again, so sorry.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 26
Points 1,075
Jonathan replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 4:16 PM

Nice.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

I'm sorry, Arvin.  For the sake of protecting LvMI from state bastards, I had to delete your first item.

Again, so sorry.

Huh?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

When idiotic high school kids call you a Nazi after they learn you're a libertarian/anarcho-capitalist...and you just just want to punch a wall.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Daniel:
... when you know Karl Marx better and are better read in Marxism than the Marxists.

Finally! I have searched for what connects me to Anarcho-capitalism for so long! Daniel has brought me my salvation. Stick out tongue

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 9:20 AM

When you can't play CCC or FPS games because you're too peaceful.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Fephisto:

When you can't play CCC or FPS games because you're too peaceful.

That reminds me of a story recounted by Walter Block when he was playing Risk with Murray Rothbard and Murray said 'Only anarchists can actually enjoy playing this game because we're the only ones who aren't trying to do this in real life'

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 10:49 AM

... When you make people uncomfortable by asking them to define their terms.

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 11:38 AM

Sage:
... When you make people uncomfortable by asking them to define their terms.

Haha! Oh yes.. My favorite: slavery & government.

This lady had done many years in finance & economics. Her big deal was the problem of the "free-rider".

She started a discussion / debate, and I asked her to define "government". She blanked, followed by incredulous look / half blowing up... "It just is!"

Big Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 3:56 PM

when you come across an opinion or value judgement that you feel is incredibly stupid, and you have to keep telling yourself "value is subjective, value is subjective, value is subjective, value is subjective..."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 238
Points 3,960
Cork replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 4:54 PM

... when you think Ron Paul is a closet anarcho-capitalist and is using the Walter Block defense that it is okay to work in the government as long as you are attempting to sabotage it.

I gurantee you Ron Paul is an ancap.  Deep down, he has to know what a sham minarchy is.  He's just smart enough not to say anything--I certainly wouldn't, if I were in his shoes.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

.... when you hear the term "Maturity Mismatching" and you don't think it is about a Dateline special on men meeting underage girls they met on the internet.

-- Jordan (http://CorruptionRadio.com)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445
When you flip shit at the huge disadvantage of using free market as your economy and the huge advantages of using planned economy in the little known but incredibly awesome game Sid Miere's Alpha Centauri
"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 5:42 PM

When you watch Congressional debates on C-Span to both laugh and cringe in absolute terror at the same time.

I don't think Paul is a closet An-Cap;  he might be helping to advance the ancap cause by directing folks towards the Mises Institute, but I think he does believe in some form of a state.   Until he says " Fooled you suckers!!! Screw the state!!! lulz pwned!!"  when he retires I'll stick by the belief that he is a minarchist.

He has made public declarations in favor of secession though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 6:19 PM

... you`ve been to the principal`s office on your own. Just to mess with the system.

... you think Mothers Against Drunk Driving are detestable pariahs.

... your favorite senate speech was given by Dee Snider. 

... you`ve told everyone you know, things would actually be somewhat better if Don Corleone ran things in place of the government.

...  you feel you should own the section of the street in front of your house. You stil haven`t gotten over the lost toll income.

... you`re convinced Communism is a hybrid, middle-of-the road movement.

... you think some people need to find it in themselves to hate the state more.

... you for your gap year seriously considered visiting Somalia.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 7:01 PM

The Late Andrew Ryan:
When you flip shit at the huge disadvantage of using free market as your economy and the huge advantages of using planned economy in the little known but incredibly awesome game Sid Miere's Alpha Centauri

That reminds me. I was debating someone last week about taxes and roads (he claimed to be an Econ/PoliSci major) and eventually his only rebuttal was:

I'd like you to go play Sim City on hard mode and not try to use any tax money. Oh wait you can't.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 166
Points 2,875
Beefheart replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 9:14 PM

... when hearing the words "social contract" makes you instinctively drop kick the speaker.

... when you think getting swine flu is better for a kid than going to public school.

... you prefer the Articles of Confederation.

... no one takes you seriously, despite no one being able to prove you wrong.

My personal Anarcho-Capitalist flag. The symbol in the center stands for "harmony" and "protection"-- I'm hoping to illustrate the bond between order/justice and anarchy.

• | Post Points: 60
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 10:41 PM

Brennan:

... no one takes you seriously, despite no one being able to prove you wrong.

...when you use that fact to make people sick to their stomach and cause them to seriously contemplate about the world they live in. :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Marko:

... you`ve been to the principal`s office on your own. Just to mess with the system.

... you think Mothers Against Drunk Driving are detestable pariahs.

... your favorite senate speech was given by Dee Snider. 

... you`ve told everyone you know, things would actually be somewhat better if Don Corleone ran things in place of the government.

...  you feel you should own the section of the street in front of your house. You stil haven`t gotten over the lost toll income.

... you`re convinced Communism is a hybrid, middle-of-the road movement.

... you think some people need to find it in themselves to hate the state more.

... you for your gap year seriously considered visiting Somalia.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Oct 21 2009 4:17 AM

You`re the dumbass. The you know you are whens are supposed to be humorous. And you`re supposed to be able to make a joke on your own account. Dumbass. I bet when you take a dog for a walk you use the same tree.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130
Praetyre replied on Wed, Oct 21 2009 5:35 AM

Le Master:
I'd like you to go play Sim City on hard mode and not try to use any tax money. Oh wait you can't.

SimCity takes place in a bizarre universe where mayors are unelected absolute dictators capable of instantly creating infrastructure, inflation is nonexistant, military invasions never occur, privatization is impossible and ordinances actually do jack. That, and legalizing gambling increases crime. Claiming SimCity as a good indicator of political economy is like arguing Spongebob Squarepants in an accurate model of marine biology.

Perhaps your friend will bring up Star Trek during an argument on astrophysics, or Family Guy during an argument on psychological modeling of dogs and infants.

Back on topic:

-- When you spend several weeks running a friend through the differences between laissez faire, mercantilism and crony capitalism

-- When you think the Confederacy in Star Wars had some good points

-- When you mentally compare proclamations of an ending recession with former Iraqi Information Minister Saaed al-Sahaf's proclamation of victory over the Americans while tanks, soldiers and airplanes poured over in the background

-- When New Zealand politics make you apathetic, given none of the parties fit your agenda

-- When you view the political use of the words "national", "social", "public" or "greater good" in the same light as "take for a ride" and "resettlement camp".

-- When you think the British National Party is far less dangerous than the European Union or the British Labour Party

-- When you constantly see inaccuracies in writings about the Great Depression and Wild West

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Points 1,795
Justin D replied on Wed, Oct 21 2009 9:40 AM

---When you have a smile and tears running down your face at the end of V for Vendetta.

---When people cant think of a name for you and just use "fringe" or "contrarian"

---When you have Laissez Faire tattoo'd on your chest.

---When you write in votes saying "dynamite or DC earthquake"

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 3 (101 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS