Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action Comics by Lilburne

This post has 183 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator
Daniel James Sanchez Posted: Mon, Oct 12 2009 12:48 AM

Issue #TopicPicassaFacebookYouTube
1 The Basics View in Picassa -->Temporarily Unavailable in Facebook--> View in YouTube (older, incomplete version)
2 Subjective Theory of Value View in Picassa View in Facebook View in YouTube
3 Marginal Theory of Value View in Picassa View in Facebook View in YouTube
"3.2" Diminishing Marginal Utility View in Picassa Unavailable in Facebook Unavailable in YouTube
4 Opportunity Cost and the Entrepreneur View in Picassa View in Facebook Currently Unavailable in YouTube
5 Capital Theory View in Picassa -->Temporarily Unavailable in Facebook--> Currently Unavailable in YouTube
6 Simple Exchange View in Picassa View in Facebook Currently Unavailable in YouTube

Introducing...

Issue #1: The Basics

Until I figure out something better, I'm publishing these as Google Picassa album.

Feedback appreciated as always.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 235
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Who is your target audience?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 1:17 AM

I was looking forward to hearing about the unemployment rate of Vienna. Sad

... Big Smile

Very minor gripe - I'd have probably had Hoppe in there instead of Boettke. But anyway... good for beginners. This reminds me of a more academic Irwin Schiffs - How an Economy Grows and Why it Doesn't comic book. Maybe in the future, when its all done - it could be professionally published, with proper graphics and sold at LvMI and elsewhere? Looking forward to the rest

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Conza88:

I was looking forward to hearing about the unemployment rate of Vienna. Sad

... Big Smile

All I know about the labor market in Vienna is that it used to employ genius economists and composers... and emperors... and sausage makers.

It's great to see an auditorium full of such upright-looking individuals from the 1940s liked it!

Conza88:
Very minor gripe - I'd have probably had Hoppe in there instead of Boettke.

I wouldn't want to give Giles an aneurysm.

Conza88:
This reminds me of a more academic Irwin Schiffs - How an Economy Grows and Why it Doesn't comic book.

That's exactly what I'm going for!  Thanks!

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Sharp high schoolers and curious adults new to AE.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:
Sharp high schoolers and curious adults new to AE.

It is a little dry.  Other than that, I liked it.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

liberty student:
It is a little dry.  Other than that, I liked it.

Would you say it needs more humor, less academic phrasing, both, or something else?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

More sex or humour.  A counterpoint would help.

The phrasing is dry.  Don't be afraid to sell the ideas.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

Conza88:
Very minor gripe - I'd have probably had Hoppe in there instead of Boettke.

I wouldn't want to give Giles an aneurysm.

What about Joe Salerno?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

liberty student:
Don't be afraid to sell the ideas.

What I mean is, don't leave it up to the reader.  It's ok to be obvious about connecting the dots some times.  Even smart people are susceptible to repetition.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

liberty student:
It's ok to be obvious about connecting the dots some times.

I guess I don't know how to get more obvious about connecting the dots than with giant arrows and equal signs.

liberty student:
Even smart people are susceptible to repetition.

My hope is that by keeping each issue short, it will encourage the reader to look through it multiple times, thereby providing his own repetition.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:
I guess I don't know how to get more obvious about connecting the dots than with giant arrows and equal signs.

Haha, seems I wasn't obvious enough!  Wink

I think the area on induction and deduction don't really showcase the differences.  It's not obvious how they differ.

You and I know it, but it is far from obivous. I am assuming this, can test on family members if necessary.

Maybe a side by side summary of the differences at the end, like a pro/con list would make it clearer.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 2,255
Solarist replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 11:46 AM

More please...

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 1:46 PM

The "Yum!" at the end was great. Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,275
Arvin replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 1:56 PM

This could evolve into a kickass children's book. It needs more sex though, as LS stated.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Arvin:
It needs more sex though, as LS stated.

Big Smile

I thought of one more thing lilburne.  Make sure your faces when on the left or right, always face towards the content.  We follow the eyes of characters in pictures on a page of content.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,275
Arvin replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 3:15 PM

I've done a slide with more sex now, it's less accurate though, but who cares about accuracy when one can have sex? Amirite?

I wonder if Austrian Economics plays any part in me still being a virgin... Might just be that I haven't found my JoAnn Rothbard yet though. ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This is a great thread all over 

Big Smile

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 3:39 PM

I'll never think of Ayn Rand's name in the same way...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 3:41 PM

I assume you've seen Schiff's cartoons but if not here they are.

http://www.takelifeback.com/hegawid/

Thanks for doing these. This type of literary work I think is far more beneficial at reaching the masses. Not everyone is going to read Human Action but a large pool of people could easily sift through an easy to read comic.

I agree with LS unfortunately to an extent that it is somewhat dry and your target audience will be small. The First episode should outline AE as a whole while avoiding the specific details of each topic. Further episodes can then focus on those specific sections of AE. Perhaps the first comic should be tailored to explain to the reader why economics is important and how it directly relates to personal liberty.

For example, I difference between deductive and inductive reasoning as being explained in a separate episode. Additionally various types of goods would be their own episode, having details of both in the same episode gives the reader a mouthful to grasp in one episode with little visual/written explanation of each.

Than again I'm a critic so take this with a grain of salt. Thanks for doing these Lilburne, your the man!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Just finished...

Issue #2: Subjective Theory of Value

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

Magnificent.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 11:18 PM

Lilburne:

Frames 16-25 = Win

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 11:37 PM

This was great, and entertaining. Can I facebook these?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

filc:

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar, what does it mean "to facebook".  To link to from facebook?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

liberty student:

Lilburne:

Magnificent.

Thanks LS.  I tried to "moisten" it a bit by adding more humor and just a touch of madness.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

AJ:

Lilburne:

Frames 16-25 = Win

You can't lose with a Gigantor Adam Smith. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:
Thanks LS.  I tried to "moisten" it a bit by adding more humor and just a touch of madness.

You did it.  You made it informative and entertaining.  That's something people will get excited about sharing (see facebook comment already).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

More Rothbard!

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:03 AM

Exactly Lilburne. Means to post on my facebook. :) a llink to..

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:05 AM

AJ:

Lilburne:

Frames 16-25 = Win

I would agree with this minor revision to Menger's introduction...

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

filc:

filc,

I figured out how to post these to Facebook.  Here are the Facebook links:

They're open to everyone, including non-Facebook-friends (which is a good thing, because I don't have any!)

What does everyone think?  Should I continue hosting them on Picassa or Facebook?  Is the interface or resolution better on one or the other?  Will one draw a bigger audience?  (I guess, with the latter question, Facebook is the obvious answer.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:12 AM
Very good stuff. A few little punctuation corrections: Slide 20: "Look out kid, he's about..." should be: "Look out, kid; he's about..." (with either a semicolon or period after "kid") Slide 21: "Don't worry kid, I'll get help." should be: "Don't worry, kid; I'll get help." (again, with either a semicolon or period after "kid")
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:15 AM

My last post somehow became unformatted after I replied. It may seem a little hypocritical for me to speak of punctuation with a post looking like that.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:
What does everyone think?  Should I continue hosting them on Picassa or Facebook?  Is the interface or resolution better on one or the other?  Will one draw a bigger audience?  (I guess, with the latter question, Facebook is the obvious answer.)

However, I already can't stand the Facebook ads.  Picassa being ad-free is a major plus...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Le Master:

My last post somehow became unformatted after I replied. It may seem a little hypocritical for me to speak of punctuation with a post looking like that.

lol! No worries.  I appreciate the heads up on those edits.  I just wish I knew how to make changes and reupload without screwing up the links I've already posted.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

filc:

filc,

I figured out how to post these to Facebook.  Here are the Facebook links:

They're open to everyone, including non-Facebook-friends (which is a good thing, because I don't have any!)

filc,

Feel free to link to the Facebook versions of them!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,960
Saiphes replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:59 AM

Just a quick question/suggestion: have you ever read or heard of Scott McCloud and his graphic book named "Understanding Comics"?  I think it is brilliant.  I also hear that "Making Comics" also by McCloud is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Comics-Invisible-Scott-Mccloud/dp/006097625X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I only mention this because I think it's worth doing *well*.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Saiphes:
Just a quick question/suggestion: have you ever read or heard of Scott McCloud and his graphic book named "Understanding Comics"?  I think it is brilliant.

I've read it.  Twice.  It's genius.  His Reinventing Comics is good too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Oct 13 2009 1:09 AM

Lilburne,

Are these organized into a folder or a group on piscasa? I'm not completely familiar with it. Can I navigate from the first comic to the next somehow?

Page 1 of 5 (184 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS