Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action Comics by Lilburne

This post has 183 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

nirgrahamUK:

is Lilburne the new Hazlitt ?

Even asking such a question is a staggeringly generous compliment.  Thanks man!

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Whoa.  Lew Rockwell just blogged my comics.  Right after, I got like 20 hits in 5 minutes.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 12:32 AM

Dude remember the little guys when your famous!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

LewRockwell.com blog references are usually good for 800 ~ 1000+ visits.

Nice of him to do that.  The real benefit will come when other people re-blog and re-post your link.  When it goes viral.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 405
Santtu replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:43 AM

The next, and obvious, step for this project is to make these into youtube videos. Now that would be rad.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Congratulations! Beer

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,275
Arvin replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 2:13 PM

Lilburne:

Whoa.  Lew Rockwell just blogged my comics.  Right after, I got like 20 hits in 5 minutes.

Awesome dude! You deserve it!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Thanks filc, LS, Santtu, Daniel, and Arvin.

Santtu I tried to export them from Keynote (Apple's PowerPoint), which is what I use to make them, into Flash, but without success.  I will keep trying.

By the way, in order to support this project, since the system here doesn't support embedding, I'm moving Summa Anthropica over to Blogger.  (It's new home is what is linked to by Mr. Rockwell's post.)

The new address is anthropica.blogspot.com.  I've started the long process of transferring my content over there.  My Mises Community Blog is still up, but the new stuff will be on Blogger.

Thanks for all the support and advice!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Okay I've got #1 up on YouTube.  How is the timing of the frame advances?  Is it okay with no audio?  I also made some formatting changes to #1 and added a "Further Reading" bit at the end.  Feedback would be much appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:27 PM

These are really great!

For the video, make the frame length shorter when there is less text to read, and longer when there is more. Fade-out transitions would also give the reader a moment's warning before the slide changes.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

AJ:
These are really great!

Thanks AJ.

AJ:
For the video, make the frame length shorter when there is less text to read, and longer when there is more.

I figured out how to use iMovie to adjust the frame lengths.  I also added narration.  Unfortunately now the text is all blurry. Sad

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Try uploading it to YouTube as a high definition video. If the text continues to be an issue, you might have to use a different font.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Daniel:
Try uploading it to YouTube as a high definition video.

It's not YouTube.  It's blurry on my computer too.  It's just that the next highest video quality available in iMovie is over 3 GB, which is too big.  I need something in between.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

Daniel:
Try uploading it to YouTube as a high definition video.

It's not YouTube.  It's blurry on my computer too.  It's just that the next highest video quality available in iMovie is over 3 GB, which is too big.  I need something in between.

Really? iMovie sucks for that. Do you have access to Premiere or Final Cut Pro? Or can you export the slides into a flash file?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

No, I don't have either of those.  Maybe I'll try Flash.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 2:06 AM

Lilburne:

No, I don't have either of those.  Maybe I'll try Flash.

Might have to do with the resolution of the pics, or their quality? Something better than jpg surely. lol

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Here's Issue #2 with narration...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I finally found time to finish issue #5.  (Note: read the Adam Smith part with the thickest Scottish accent you can imagine to get the full effect.)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 9:59 PM

Your link sends us to issue #4.

Here's the link to #5.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 10:00 PM

when the history of the libertarian renaissance is written, I will be able to say that I knew it's petrarch.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 10:06 PM

I'm still going through it, but on slide 16, you have Turgot as being born and dying before Christ. Haha. Everything else is great so far.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 11:47 PM

Epic. Hahah @ Krugermon

Great as usual.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Le Master:

Your link sends us to issue #4.

Here's the link to #5.

Oops!  Thanks for the correction!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Le Master:

I'm still going through it, but on slide 16, you have Turgot as being born and dying before Christ. Haha. Everything else is great so far.

LOL, with the lifespan I gave him he'd have been rough contemporaries with Hammurabi.  Talk about pre-Austrian!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Conza88:

Epic. Hahah @ Krugermon

Great as usual.

Thanks Conza.  Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

fakename:

when the history of the libertarian renaissance is written, I will be able to say that I knew it's petrarch.

I guess that means you liked it?  Smile

Thanks for the overwhelmingly generous compliment!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

I finally found time to finish issue #5.  (Note: read the Adam Smith part with the thickest Scottish accent you can imagine to get the full effect.)

It's up on Facebook now too.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 12:44 AM

I almost died when I saw Paul Krugman. WE'RE SCIENTISTS! You should add a "LOL" before that comment, in my opinion.

I think you should do something with Say's law. It would give you another opportunity to include Keynes, which is always good.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Esuric:
I almost died when I saw Paul Krugman. WE'RE SCIENTISTS!

Big Smile The Krugman photoshop job BK Marcus did for my Second Coming of Keynes article was perfect for that slide!  The spirit of Keynes from issue 4 is also from that same image.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

For my next issue, can anyone direct me to Mises' fullest refutation of cardinal value and "utils"?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 11:26 AM

Lilburne:

For my next issue, can anyone direct me to Mises' fullest refutation of cardinal value and "utils"?

Theory of Money and Credit, chapter 2 (ON THE MEASUREMENT OF VALUE), parts 1, 2, and 3 (the immeasurability of subjective use-values, total value, and Money as a price index). There's some stuff in Chapter 7 (THE CONCEPT OF THE VALUE OF MONEY) as well.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Esuric:

Lilburne:

Theory of Money and Credit, chapter 2 (ON THE MEASUREMENT OF VALUE), parts 1, 2, and 3 (the immeasurability of subjective use-values, total value, and Money as a price index). There's some stuff in Chapter 7 (THE CONCEPT OF THE VALUE OF MONEY) as well.

Awesome.  THANKS!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lilburne:

Let me know if you want me to edit together the video.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

Lilburne:

I recommend a terse explanation of ordinal and cardinal values beforehand.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Daniel:
Let me know if you want me to edit together the video

Thank you, Daniel, for editing the Human Action Comics videos #1 and #2.

For issue #3, I've updated the slides and narrated the head-to-head match between Smith and Menger and uploaded it to YouTube.  If you could work your resolution-improving magic on that one too, that would be awesome.  Thanks SO much.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 6,780

Krugman:
Ooh boy, now we're scientists!

GOLD

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I've added 15 new slides on economic growth to Issue #4 (slides 35-50), and renamed it "Capital and Economic Growth".  Please let me know if it gets across the concepts well.  Thanks!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 42
Points 895

I've loved all the comics and the addition is great. It makes the point you are making much more clear. Thanks much for putting these all together. I hope to use them to get some family and friends interested in economics.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Jonathan Nebel:
It makes the point you are making much more clear.

Excellent, thanks!

Jonathan Nebel:
I hope to use them to get some family and friends interested in economics.

Music to my ears!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

MatthewF:

Krugman:
Ooh boy, now we're scientists!

GOLD

Or, as Krugman's hero Keynes would have said, "BARBAROUS RELIC".  Stick out tongue

Page 3 of 5 (184 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS