Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action Comics by Lilburne

This post has 183 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

ansiktsburk,

I am SO pleased whenever I hear that my comics have been of service to somebody.  So thank you so much for sharing.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 7:38 PM

Lilburne,

Can you link all of your comics on your first post so we don't have to scroll down to find various ones? Thanks buddy!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 9:51 PM

filc:

Lilburne,

Can you link all of your comics on your first post so we don't have to scroll down to find various ones? Thanks buddy!

I guess he can, because he's a moderator.. otherwise he wouldn't be able to.

I can't do that, (for some reason after a while the "edit" option goes) - I guess when someone has replied to it?

Kind of frustrating for a few other threads I have made, that would be helped immensely by editting the first one. i.e Must See Movies thread.

As for Lilburne, working on anything at the moment, or concentrating elsewhere?

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 125
Points 2,085
JeffB replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 10:02 PM

Someone on here linked to your comics and I loved them.

I had heard of the Austrian school economics and it sounded intuitively true every time I encountered it, but I've heard bits and pieces here and there.  I very recently came on here to learn more and have learned a lot, and it still sounds intuitively true, but there's still I lot I haven't read yet.  From a newbie's perspective it's a little overwhelming to get posts recommending reading this 500+ page book, and then a 600+ page book, and then someone else says you absolutely need ro read this other 450 page book and so on.  Then those who disagree with them begin recommending their own stack of books to read.

I may not be a good judge, since I'm such a newbie, but I thought your comics were excellent.  From what I could tell, they gave a bit of the background of those Menger or Mises et. al. were responding to and the arguments involved.  They also give a very clear explanation of what the Austrians are claiming, at least on a very basic level.

It's a nice way to get a feeling of who's taking what side and why, and hopefully why some of the competing ideas aren't viable.

From my standpoint, I really enjoyed them and felt I learned a lot in a very short time.  In other words, it was excellent.

If I had any criticisms, if you could call it that, it would be that the titling isn't conducive to finding a particular topic or person quickly and easily.  The chapters or whatever you call them may also have been slightly out of order as well.  Actually those "criticisms" are very trivial items, at least at the moment.  As you keep adding to them, however, it might become a little bigger issue.  Similarly, it would be good if you could have a separate album or at least a separate section for other things such as your series(?) on "The History of Thought".

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but have read some on the first page.  I saw that some asked for more humor and sex to spice things up.  I can see where that might be appealing to a section of your target audience, perhaps a pretty large segment even.  But I think it could also be off putting to others.  Even the mild things that are already in one or two of the panels might make me think twice about sending a link to some people, such as my mother or father-in-law or others I think might potentially be offended.

On a somewhat related note, I think sometimes people narrow the appeal of some of their work to a smaller audience than would be otherwise possible when they tailor things to a particular audience.  I've walked that tightrope a bit myself in other forums on other issues.  I sometimes find something that is excellent at bringing out arguments that could be used in another discussion, but sometimes they are attacking the group the person I am dialoguing with belongs to.

If I am trying to win someone over with sound logical arguments, my case is hurt if the page I'm linking to attacks that person or the group(s) they belong to.  They are immediately on the defensive and in arguing mode, rather than in a thoughtful mode and more open to accept arguments contrary to their current opinions on things.

That's a little off topic here, I guess, since I never got the impression you were unnecessarily attacking anyone, but I think it is a similar situation whereby in increasing the appeal to one group, we can simultaneously turn off another group.

But the bottom line for me is that your series was great for a beginner like me to get a relatively quick grasp of what was going on, who some of the players were and some of the concepts involved.  Kudos for a job well done!  (But don't stop now).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

filc:

Lilburne,

I've inserted the table organizing my issues that I have on my blog.  I'll try to update the first post here with any future issues when I get a chance, but the prime place to go is this post on my blog, which also has a brief introductory essay.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Conza88:

My productivity has been circumscribed as of late by a busted computer.  For one thing, this means I can only get things done when I can borrow a computer.  This also means I lost the editable files for my comics, which includes the constructed images which, while crude, took me a long time to put together.

I also couldn't put down The Last Knight of Liberalism once I picked it up, so that (plus reading Human Action for the 3rd time) swallowed me up for a while.

I'm hoping to get back in the saddle on the Mises Blog soon, and after that hopefully with my comics too!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240
Hard Rain replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:00 AM

J. Grayson Lilburne:

Conza88:

My productivity has been circumscribed as of late by a busted computer.  For one thing, this means I can only get things done when I can borrow a computer.  This also means I lost the editable files for my comics, which includes the constructed images which, while crude, took me a long time to put together.

I also couldn't put down The Last Knight of Liberalism once I picked it up, so that (plus reading Human Action for the 3rd time) swallowed me up for a while.

I'm hoping to get back in the saddle on the Mises Blog soon, and after that hopefully with my comics too!

That's a real shame. I hope you'll be able to pick up with the comics soon. Maybe once you've done a bunch you can bundle them all together and sell them as a kind of trade paperback? Geeked

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:00 AM

J. Grayson Lilburne:

Conza88:

What is wrong? You're files may be salvageable.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

@ JeffB

Wonderful.  I'm so glad my comics have been helpful to you.  Thank you for your kind words and feedback.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:33 PM

Look good Lilburne! Thanks. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 1,480
yoshimura replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:44 PM

Thank you Lilburne!

All this mumbo jumbo is so much clearer now. :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 2,635
Hairnet replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:56 PM

These are really fun. I knew most of it, but my knowledge was "solidified" by the visual representations.  I also enjoyed the humor.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:47 AM

Daniel Muffinburg:

J. Grayson Lilburne:

Conza88:

What is wrong? You're files may be salvageable.

Update? Struggling to muster the effort to re-gather the images etc? Maybe set up a donate thing?

Was looking forward to the others.. so I could refer people to them, whatever the topic.. Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Grayson:

Conza88:

Get a bootable 4gb to 8gb + flash drive (with say, a copy of Windows Fundemanetals, XP, Ubuntu, etc.)  that you can use on other people's computers that can boot from USB. 

That should hold you off for a while until you can fix yours and/or get a new one, methinks.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Conza88:

Update? Struggling to muster the effort to re-gather the images etc? Maybe set up a donate thing?

Was looking forward to the others.. so I could refer people to them, whatever the topic.. Smile

Actually, I'm working on another project.  Now it might be awhile until I get back to this one, but someday I will.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 244
Points 5,455
Felipe replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:10 PM

How can I download this material?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:57 AM

Grayson Lilburne:
Actually, I'm working on another project.

Sad

Grayson Lilburne:
someday I will.

Yes

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 139
Points 2,270

Grayson Lilburne:

Actually, I'm working on another project.  Now it might be awhile until I get back to this one, but someday I will.

I'm assuming this other project was "Understanding the Business Cycle" with Robert Murphy which was recently announced .  If so, well done, it looks awesome. I'm seriously considering doing it if I have the time.

Does this also mean that you'll now find some time to get back to making Human Action comics? Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

This issue isn't finished yet, as I'm only 14 pages in, but I thought I'd ask for feedback regarding this new, additional approach to Human Action Comics issues.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Looks awesome so far Grayson.  The only concern I have is font size, but I suppose that's a constraint of the medium.

The content and presentation is top notch.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Jul 26 2010 9:47 PM

Grayson Lilburne:
someday I will.

I'll be waiting... lol

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

A comic-ified excerpt from the supply and demand chapter of Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economist.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sun, Oct 17 2010 7:42 PM

Grayson,

This is going to take some time to read through, but I think you can expect rave reviews as usual.  It's good to know that Murphy's book is available in the Literature section (for convenience, it's linked below.)  As always, thanks for your effort on these. yes

Lessons for the Young Economist

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Grayson Lilburne:

A comic-ified excerpt from the supply and demand chapter of Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economist.

^ Major extension of this.  Now the whole chapter is comic-ified.  If you ever want to understand Supply and Demand curves, please read.

Page 5 of 5 (184 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS