Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why I am not an Austrian Economist

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 985
Robert posted on Wed, Oct 14 2009 1:59 PM

Hey, my statist friend sent me this link: http://economics.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm

Some of it is a bit over my head, I was wondering if anyone here has read this or could comment on the criticisms he makes, spefically in reference to the Austrian Business Cycle Theory as that it the area I am most familiar with. Thanks,

Grim

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325
Verified by Robert

See this thread for paper trail of rebuttals and back-forth with Caplan and the Austrians.

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/3841/52624.aspx

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

A few years ago I replied to this paper of Caplan's, t he focus of which was his criticism of the ABCT.

Edited to fix a broken link: here is the link.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 2:39 PM

David Z:

A few years ago I replied to this paper of Caplan's, t he focus of which was his criticism of the ABCT.

Here's a link to a PDF of my response.

It says access denied :(

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

Snowflake:
It says access denied :(

I fixed it.

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 3:12 PM

Did you send him your paper? Did he ever respond? It is well written and in the Austrian praxeologic tradition.

Props.

Banned
Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

Thanks - no I never bothered to send it to him... but it has been fairly well-received by the forum ppl here

(I just re-read it today and noticed some spelling & grammar errors.)

David Z

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 985
Robert replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 4:42 PM

Awesome, thanks for the link. I will check this out now.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
470 Posts
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 6:36 PM

Well, what I cant understand is why one can be a mainstream economist when the mainstream loves Paul Samuelson, a guy responsible for extremely moronic stuff. A quick read on him shows some interesting stuff:

1 - He said that with the end of World War 2 the economy would collapse. Because killing and bombing each other is economically productive! He had equations to prove it!

2 - He and some other guy came with the Philips Curve, that affirm that high inflation is the cure to unemployment. A big "LOL! WUT?", but he had equations to prove it!

3 - He said that the Soviet Union would be successful, in 1989, well, he had equations to prove it!

If someone has link that shows him explaining all those absurds, I really would appreciate.

Top 200 Contributor
377 Posts
Points 7,180
Ansury replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 6:56 PM

Bryan Caplan
Assistant Professor
Department of Economics
George Mason University

I thought Mason was supposed to be one of the few Austrian schools?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Ansury:

Bryan Caplan
Assistant Professor
Department of Economics
George Mason University

I thought Mason was supposed to be one of the few Austrian schools?

It's not really an "Austrian school", although it is one of few schools where one can do graduate studies in Austrian economics (I think WVU, Suffolk, Rey Juan Carlos would be other places). More importantly is the fact that Caplan isn't a normal neoclassical economist, if you read his works there exist a lot of affinities between his thought and Austrian thought. If you watch the debate between him and Boettke you'll see that Caplan and Boettke are essentially saying "you're really a neoclassical economist!" and "you're really an Austrian economist" respectively, to the other party.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

Vitor:
2 - He and some other guy came with the Philips Curve,

NB: The other guy was William Philips. He is largely credited with coming up with the Philips Curve.  Samuelson and Solow popularized it.

more info via EconLib, along with summary of Friedman's objection:

Both Friedman and Phelps argued that the government could not permanently trade higher inflation for lower unemployment. Imagine that unemployment is at the natural rate. The real wage is constant: workers who expect a given rate of price inflation insist that their wages increase at the same rate to prevent the erosion of their purchasing power.

David Z

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325

OP says his statist friend is referencing Caplan, an avowed anarcho-capitalist...

I don't think this statist friend has thought this through.

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325
Verified by Robert

See this thread for paper trail of rebuttals and back-forth with Caplan and the Austrians.

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/3841/52624.aspx

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Is Caplan a David Friedman Ancap?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

liberty student:

Is Caplan a David Friedman Ancap?

More or less, but he isn't a utilitarian. He started as an Objectivist, went through a Rothbard stage, and now is basically an intuitionist in ethics and anarchist in political philosophy.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS