Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Seriously Considering Attending Mises University

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705
pazlenchantinrocks Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2008 10:51 PM

I am currently almost certain that I will make a serious attempt to attend Mises University this year.  If I do attend,  I have every intention on graduating with honors.  This means that I would like to start NOW with my studies.  Now, I have downloaded, listened to, and watched much of the media files.  I've read a few things as well.  However I know I need some work in all areas.  Besides the required readings, what are your suggestions for reading material and research topics?  Are there any previous Mises U attendees here that would like to shed some light on their experiences?  What should I expect?  More imortantly, what should I expect from the Mündliche Prüfung?  I want to hear the responses of all who are interested in commenting.

If there is anyone here interested in having an apprentice or just willing to tutor someone, I'm your guy.  Heck, maybe we can do this Ron Paul rEVOLution style and whip up enough support online to take Mises U head on.  Any takers?

:D

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Fri, Jan 18 2008 11:03 PM

Well I have put together a reading list on praxeology and some of the Austrian School's more important works, so be sure to give that a look. What have you studied thus far?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

Mostly praxeology. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Fri, Jan 18 2008 11:10 PM
Which works specifically?

Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

Praxeology as the Method of the Social Sciences (Rothbard)

Praxeology: The Methodology of Austrian Economics (Rothbard)

Praxeology, Value Judgments, and Public Policy (Rothbard)

In Defense of "Extreme Apriorism (Rothbard)

Economic Science and the Austrian Method (Hoppe)

Human Action Vol 1 (Mises)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Quite a bit then. The Mises website offers a reading list you have to complete I think. If you've read those you should be fine.

Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

Have you ever been to Mises U? 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

No, not yet. I haven't ever been to the US. I plan on going when I'm there doing a JD.

Anyway, if you're serious about attending the Mises U. mises.org includes a reading list you have to complete. If you've read Human Action, you're already well on the way IMO.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 176
Points 2,330
Jackson replied on Thu, Jan 24 2008 12:40 AM

pazlenchantinrocks:

I am currently almost certain that I will make a serious attempt to attend Mises University this year.  If I do attend,  I have every intention on graduating with honors.  This means that I would like to start NOW with my studies.  Now, I have downloaded, listened to, and watched much of the media files.  I've read a few things as well.  However I know I need some work in all areas.  Besides the required readings, what are your suggestions for reading material and research topics?  Are there any previous Mises U attendees here that would like to shed some light on their experiences?  What should I expect?  More imortantly, what should I expect from the Mündliche Prüfung?  I want to hear the responses of all who are interested in commenting.

If there is anyone here interested in having an apprentice or just willing to tutor someone, I'm your guy.  Heck, maybe we can do this Ron Paul rEVOLution style and whip up enough support online to take Mises U head on.  Any takers?

:D

I thought I just showed up and learned from people who knew more than me.

...I'm going to be graded?

Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

Jackson:

I thought I just showed up and learned from people who knew more than me.

...I'm going to be graded?

Don't quote me on this because I've never been there.  If I'm not mistaken, there will be an exam.  There is also an optional exam for an honors certificate called the Mündliche Prüfung.

I am going to attempt to receive the honors certificate.  If I'm going to go I'm going to do my best.  I just wish I could find out more about it so I can get ready.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Thu, Jan 24 2008 8:45 AM
The only exam is the optional honors exam. Because of the popularity, arising from the cash prizes, there is now a written exam required for entrance to the oral exam. Those with the highest scores will be allowed to take the oral exam. The written exam covers some basic definitions and history of the school.
Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

Thank you for the insight.  It's more valuable to me than you realize.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
Ephil replied on Fri, Jan 25 2008 3:49 PM

I passed the Mündliche Prüfung, it was pretty intimidating at the time, but it really wasn't that bad. There were five profs, but only one asked me questions (Hulsmann). From my informal conversations, there was general agreement that he is the toughest. The written test is really basic, so if you've read a lot then you have nothing to worry about. The oral questions definately focus on Austrian economics (as opposed to libertarianism or the history you hear from Woods and Raico), so you need to know things like the Austrian theory of the business cycle, the law of marginal utility, the definition and nature of inflation and deflation, the Austrian theory of interest, etc. well. 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 1,705

This is good news.  I'm really trying to narrow down the scope of my readings as much as possible in order to streamline the process.  This is very helpful, thank you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

Ephil:
The written test is really basic, so if you've read a lot then you have nothing to worry about.

Written in the sense of short answer form?  Or written in the sense of multiple choice?  (I know the term written implies actually writing, but just for clarification...)

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
Ephil replied on Sat, Jul 26 2008 1:08 PM

For us (2006), it was about 10 short answer questions. Some were one word answers, others were 1-3 sentences. 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS