Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ebook reader + Mises.org = perfect combination

rated by 0 users
This post has 66 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 328
Points 5,650

I'm saving up my cash for this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

How much?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 328
Points 5,650

Cal:

How much?

Not known yet. Hopefully under $350.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 139
Points 2,270
Orthogonal replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 11:15 PM

I almost feel guilty about this. All the great *.pdf's for free and now eBook reader's to store it on. I'll have to buy a few of the books from the store to feel better about myself Smile

I can't decide between the Nook and the Kindle. They both support pdf's, I'm just not sure what to think about all the other features...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

I can't decide, either. The Nook looks better, and has a touchscreen. However, its books are generally more expensive than Amazon's, and the Nook's software is said to be sluggish.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 328
Points 5,650

There is also this little-known affordable ebook reader, the ectaco jetbook lite:

I was thinking of getting one of these, but the small 5 inch screen probably wouldn't work well with my massive collection of PDF files. They were actually selling for $115 at newegg.com a few weeks back, but I really want a larger reader. Still, I might get one if the price ever drops below $99, just to fill it up with all of the great ePub books mises.org is making available. It would be awesome to have MES and HA in a small pocket-sized device.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 120

I went with a Kindle DX.  The savings from the cheaper books will pay for the extra cost in the long haul.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 194
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 1:51 PM

Wanted to bump this  thread...

anymore opinions on what you chose and what you like/dislike??

nook is now $149 at  best buy

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I am waiting on the next generation models with flexible back-planes not made out of brittle glass that cracks. I have been burned!!!

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 49
Points 790
Edward replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:48 AM

Nook's looking very good indeed. Anyone currently owns such a device? Doe it have the possibility of making notes on the pages?

Tried to order it but they wont ship it to europe, if it is a very good buy i'll consider sending it to a US adress and have it forwarded to europe. This is an extra 50 bucks, but it might be worth it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:57 AM

I've heard that the Kindle and Nook don't take too kindly to pdf files.  I've also heard that iPads aren't always friendly with them, either.

As much as I like them, I think the technology isn't quite there yet.  Too many "proprietary" issues. 

All I want is an "use anyfile type" reader.  I don't want to be beholden to a certain mix of file types and locked into a certain provider.

Is that too much to ask for?

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 6:09 AM

"Unfortunately, the technology (E Ink) is patented and that's slowing down the competitive process, so the devices are still pretty expensive and lousy."

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

ricarpe:
I've heard that the Kindle and Nook don't take too kindly to pdf files.  I've also heard that iPads aren't always friendly with them, either.

Nooks handle PDFs just fine: no conversion required.  See my Nook review.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 49
Points 790
Edward replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 7:48 AM

Grayson, you convinced me. Just ordered myself a Nook.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Fri, Sep 3 2010 12:15 PM

@ Grayson: I read your review.  It was quite helpful.  I think that will be the dominate item on my Christmas list to my wife.  Actually, it's really the only item that will be on my Christmas list.  Regardless, thank you.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:22 PM

There are rumors that there may be a new nook before christmas - google nook 2.

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

I'm also thinking of getting a reader for my upcoming birthday or Christmas. Though I think the Kindle operates better than the Nook (obviously, they've had a couple years to work out the kinks), my whole reason for getting one is to take advantage of the vast pdf and epub library from Mises.org and the OLL, so I'm hoping the improved Nook arrives soon.

Until then, I'm getting the hang of using Stanza on my iPod.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Grayson, how well do charts and diagrams show up on the Nook in ePub format? Also, how easy is it to read the footnotes and then get back to the main text?

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

The MES charts and diagrams are surprisingly legible, although sometimes the right-most column will be out of sight.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 228
Points 4,820

I have a Kindle 2 and I endorse this topic. It's made reading Austrian texts a joy. I personally recommend a kindle over a nook if battery life is important to you that and Amazons customer service is top notch.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Have we come to a consensus on what the best ebook reader is for Mises.org pdf files?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Any opinions on the new Nook Color (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp?cds2Pid=35700#productimg)? 

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 3:36 PM

If its an LCD screen, and you have the money to spare, your better off with an IPAD. The nice thing about the kindle is the non-intrusive screen. (Eink)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yeah, the LCD is too much for me. I look at one all day and, instead, would rather look at e-ink when I read.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 3:49 PM

Thats exactly my problem, thats why I have a kindle. :/

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:58 PM

I know, I know... internet necromancy is frowned upon, but...

... I invested in a Nook Color yesterday.  I was able to transfer over several PDF articles and essays from various sources, and downloaded an ePub book from Mises.org to it.

What a beautiful thing it is!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

There's a new Nook. E-ink touchscreen FTW! I'm waiting to see what Amazon comes out with. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading the physical books I already own but haven't read (which is about 87.3525% of my library).

Page 2 of 2 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS