Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Homeschool vs Formal School

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:36 AM

Homeschooling needs to be rebranded. It evokes isolation from the world. Instead it should be called customized schooling.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Physiocrat:

Unsuprisingly my fiancee's main criticism is that they'll end up as social retards.

Through most of history the large majority of people did not attend what we would call "formal schooling". Has the majority of people throughout history been "social retards"? Ask her this: Are you more likely to learn how to be a responsible adult by hanging around a bunch of people who are not responsible adults or by hanging around responsible adults? Why people think hanging out with little kids who haven't been socialized is going to socialize you, I have no idea.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:55 AM

Stranger:

Homeschooling needs to be rebranded. It evokes isolation from the world. Instead it should be called customized schooling.

I agree but I'm not sure customized sonds that great: it evokes images of a bin sized exhaust on a boy racer car. Personalised schooling may be a better term but I'm not that struck on that either.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:58 AM

This seems like the only argument that people against homeschooling have, "They'll end up as social retards."  So what do you do?  Place them in a school.

Analogy:

"This guy really doesn't know how to get along with people, let's put him in prison."

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:04 PM

Fephisto:

"This guy really doesn't know how to get along with people, let's put him in prison."

"applause"

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:19 PM

Fephisto:

This seems like the only argument that people against homeschooling have, "They'll end up as social retards."  So what do you do?  Place them in a school.

Analogy:

Realistically, the best way to socialize children is to group them with the people who are the most socialized, the elderly. The worst way to socialize children is to group them with the people who are the least socialized, other children.

It shouldn't be a surprise that schools are dens of bullying and other savage behavior.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:17 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:
If you home school your children, how do you pay the bills? Does one parent have a job while the other home schools? I've always wondered parents have been able to finance home schooling their children.

I homeschool my 8-year old son (and will eventually homeschool my 6-month old daughter).  When I worked for someone else, I just instructed in my off-hours -- we set our own schedule so when I worked days I taught at night, and when I worked nights I taught in the day.  My wife and I don't yet make much money so we live frugally.  I've since renounced working for other people and we've started a little tutoring business, mostly teaching English to Russian immigrants with some writing/logic/economics/philosophy/standardized-testing stuff on the side.  This has greatly reduced my hours out of the house, and allowed me to bring my son to "work" with me to see how life really is.

The point is, it's really not that hard if you prioritize it and reject the schedule of the rest of society (we eat when we're hungry, sleep when we're sleepy, wake up when we feel like it, etc.).  I'll never let the state sink its talons into the minds of my children.

"He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." Edmund Burke

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 11:26 PM

Joe:

what about unschooling? I am pretty new to the idea, but it sounds interesting, anyone have any experience with it?

What I do would be considered close to it.  I spend maybe an hour a day on formal instruction and the rest of the time I just monitor what my kid is doing and maybe give him some tasks to complete.  My wife was skeptical of this approach at first, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and my kid is performing at a much higher level than our neighbors (who have kids of similar ages, one the exact same age).  If you think about what actually happens during the school day, there is very little formal instruction and a whole lot of "social" BS going on.  We also don't have to cater to the lowest common denominator like public schools do.  I whole-heartedly endorse this approach.

"He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." Edmund Burke

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:58 AM

trulib:
The videos by Dayna Martin are very good.

I've spent the last couple of hours looking at her videos and I have to say I'm not very impressed and have come away thinking my approach is better.  I like the content of what Dayna says as it resonates with my own thoughts on the issue, but she doesn't speak very well, doesn't structure her arguments very well, mixes metaphors, etc.  I MOSTLY unschool, but do take the time to make sure my son knows those things which I consider to be absolutely critical for any thinking person.  Specifically I teach him basic logic, basic mathematics, how to write well, basic economics (it's so cute when I tell him to do something and he tells me that "he owns himself".  Of course, then I tell him if he doesn't then I'll withhold use of my property from him, like the computer or my comic books, which works great.  But it's still darned cute Big Smile), and basic history (he knows a lot more about the Stone Age, Egypt, Greece and Rome than most high school students).

I will say that I appreciate that her videos are all ~5 minutes in length (though they could be a lot shorter if she talked better).  Too many people don't understand that brevity is gold in communication.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 82
Points 1,160

I really like that. I never thought about that. I wish that I had known that before my children grew up.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 11:14 AM

maxpot46:

trulib:
The videos by Dayna Martin are very good.

I've spent the last couple of hours looking at her videos and I have to say I'm not very impressed and have come away thinking my approach is better.  I like the content of what Dayna says as it resonates with my own thoughts on the issue, but she doesn't speak very well, doesn't structure her arguments very well, mixes metaphors, etc.  I MOSTLY unschool, but do take the time to make sure my son knows those things which I consider to be absolutely critical for any thinking person.  Specifically I teach him basic logic, basic mathematics, how to write well, basic economics (it's so cute when I tell him to do something and he tells me that "he owns himself".  Of course, then I tell him if he doesn't then I'll withhold use of my property from him, like the computer or my comic books, which works great.  But it's still darned cute Big Smile), and basic history (he knows a lot more about the Stone Age, Egypt, Greece and Rome than most high school students).

I will say that I appreciate that her videos are all ~5 minutes in length (though they could be a lot shorter if she talked better).  Too many people don't understand that brevity is gold in communication.

It's very much possible that what you consider 'instruction' still falls under the underschooling principle. That is: if you can offer these things in a way that genuinely interests your child, then he's still following his natural curiosity.

So what's important here is your capability to A. make it interesting and B. to show how it relates to the real world.

Actually, it appears you're not quite following that principle because you're using withdrawal tactics; so what I would suggest is to try to be more open and interested in his perspective of the material. "do you like this topic", "the reason I think it's important is X; does that resonate with you", etc. I think if YOU can change in the way that your child wants to learn these things, then it would be better. That may mean that he doesn't always want to learn the things you want to teach him, however if you can't sell those topics to him then what justifies you in making him do them?

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 740

Exactly! In college I met many students who were homeschooled all their lives who were competent speakers and social animals. They had no problem adjusting to the environment of a university with over 4000 students.

School is not the only institution for social training, nor necessarily the primary one. Homeschooled children can be involved in many social activities, including city sports leagues, church, community service, and boy/girl scouts.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

I don't know, I always sort of enjoyed school. 

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 11:48 AM

Nielsio:
Actually, it appears you're not quite following that principle because you're using withdrawal tactics; so what I would suggest is to try to be more open and interested in his perspective of the material. "do you like this topic", "the reason I think it's important is X; does that resonate with you", etc. I think if YOU can change in the way that your child wants to learn these things, then it would be better. That may mean that he doesn't always want to learn the things you want to teach him, however if you can't sell those topics to him then what justifies you in making him do them?

As his guardian I need to prepare him for the real world in which basic understandings of logic, economics, and communication are critical to success.  In addition to Dayna's videos, I also viewed a couple of clips from unschooled teens and they were pathetic logically and rhetorically, a fate I don't wish to befall my son.  Aside from that basic foundation, he can do/study whatever he wants.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 694
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:02 PM

maxpot46:

As his guardian I need to prepare him for the real world in which basic understandings of logic, economics, and communication are critical to success. 

are they?  Surely there are tons of successful people in this world with very little understanding of logic and economics, at least in a formal sense.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:07 PM

maxpot46:

Nielsio:

As his guardian I need to prepare him for the real world in which basic understandings of logic, economics, and communication are critical to success.  In addition to Dayna's videos, I also viewed a couple of clips from unschooled teens and they were pathetic logically and rhetorically, a fate I don't wish to befall my son.  Aside from that basic foundation, he can do/study whatever he wants.

But living in the real world is fun and children want (!) to be able to participate naturally. So you should be able to sell those things to him without the use of withdrawal tactics. It appears to me that you're assuming he can't enjoy learning those things, which can lead to the dangerous message that learning is not fun and that children are non-participants biologically (i.e. 'bad').

The fact that other unschooled children aren't strong logically or rhetorically doesn't mean you have to force those things on children. IF you say that you personally are strong in logic and speaking, then that means your child has a great resource he can learn from. Demonstrate the value of those skills to your child and he will naturally want to possess them.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:48 PM

Joe:
are they?  Surely there are tons of successful people in this world with very little understanding of logic and economics, at least in a formal sense.

By "success" I suppose I mean "not being an easily manipulated dumbass".

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:52 PM

Nielsio:
IF you say that you personally are strong in logic and speaking, then that means your child has a great resource he can learn from. Demonstrate the value of those skills to your child and he will naturally want to possess them.

Maybe, maybe not.  I'm not taking a chance.

Page 2 of 2 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS