Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Existentialism anybody? Søren Kierkegaard?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990
Libertyandlife posted on Sun, Dec 13 2009 1:57 PM

Anyone have any interest in existentialism here? I do, just want to know what a good first book to read on it by Søren Kierkegaard would be. I've been told plenty about him, and read a bit on the web, but with so many books out by a single guy, just wanted to know where I should start.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
119 Posts
Points 2,150

Oh my...

Where I come from, the women don't glow, but the men definitely plunder. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
450 Posts
Points 15,430

Libertyandlife:

Anyone have any interest in existentialism here? I do, just want to know what a good first book to read on it by Søren Kierkegaard would be. I've been told plenty about him, and read a bit on the web, but with so many books out by a single guy, just wanted to know where I should start.

Dude read "The Irrational Man" by William Barrett. Its the book for getting ANYONE into existentialism.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
239 Posts
Points 4,590
Andrew replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 2:28 PM

I would suggest  The Concept Of Dread. I started reading Either/ Or and it was really confusing. Had good content but wasn't as "existential" as I had expected from what I had heard. A collection of his writings may be the best thing to start with.

Democracy is nothing more than replacing bullets with ballots

If Pro is the opposite of Con. What is the opposite of Progress?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810
Suggested by Conza88

Why should I care about existentialism?

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Male
166 Posts
Points 2,875

Fear and Trembling was my starting point.

I'm a big fan of Nietzsche, he's my favorite philosopher. No easy place to start with him, but I began with Thus Spoke Zarathustra and loved it. Maybe The Genealogy of Morality or Beyond Good and Evil would be a better start?

If you're a total newbie to existentialism, then you should probably check out the works of Franz Kafka (Metamorphosis, The Trial), Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov), and Albert Camus (The Stranger, The Fall).

My personal Anarcho-Capitalist flag. The symbol in the center stands for "harmony" and "protection"-- I'm hoping to illustrate the bond between order/justice and anarchy.

Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990

This is unrelated to the threat, but also Max Stirner? ^I supposed you'd know about him considering your profile picture.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
947 Posts
Points 22,055

The Myth of Sisyphus is an interesting existentialist read.

You will never watch Groundhog Day the same way again.

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

I'm always reminded of a particular episode of Red Dwarf (Meltdown) whenever existentialism comes up. To wit:

"RIMMER: Well, Sartre, we don't like existentialists around here, and we certainly don't like French philosophers poncing around in their black polo necks filling everyone's heads with their theories about the bleakness of existence and absurdity of the cosmos, clear?"

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010

Libertyandlife:

This is unrelated to the threat, but also Max Stirner? ^I supposed you'd know about him considering your profile picture.

He is certainly a forerunner to existentialism (Martin Buber pointed out Kierkagaard's debt to him in "Between Man and Man); though, while I think "Ego" is an invaluable book (as my sig shows), I do not think it would be the best place to start for existentialism

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990

I'm just bought The Concept of Anxiety off amazon, anyone here read it?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Thank you Conza for getting my joke on existentialism Stick out tongue

Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990

Laughing Man:

Why should I care about existentialism?

I find its' strong focus on free will to be intriguing.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
150 Posts
Points 2,730

Libertyandlife:

http://www.philosophybasics.com/

http://www.philosophybasics.com/philosophers_kierkegaard.html

You observe, but you do not see.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Libertyandlife:
I find its' strong focus on free will to be intriguing.

Sad You didn't get my joke

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS