Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

why I am not "anarcho-capitalist"

This post has 377 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Knight_of_BAAWA:
Humans can do bad things, so we need a group of humans (who can do bad things) to rule over us via a monopoly?

Ummmm.....I'm not seeing an upside to that, nor am I seeing internal consistency. Y'might want to fix that.

bloomj31:
Well, as far as I can tell, it's worked out ok here in the US so far.
O RLY? You see no government corruption at all? You never see any problems created by government?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

bloomj31:
Juan, the problem isn't the system, it's humans.  We're the problem.  People want to blame systems.  But humans came up with the systems.  Humans operate them.  They're just a byproduct of humanity.  The problem with an-cap is that it's not made for humans, it's made for angels.  
No, it isn't. Do yourself the favor of not using strawmen.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:27 PM

bloomj31:
I'll be more inclined to give up my argument when more people are anarcho-capitalists "democrats."

Still repeating the same failed argument. Interestingly, democracy was thought of as a synonym of anarchy in 18th century Europe.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:27 PM

filc:

I'm assuming your discounting the economic intensive society has at removing the state?

What incentive? How many people are on the government take?  Only the people who have money or make money have any reason to get rid of the government, and a lot of those people probably make the amount of money they make because of the government.  How many people actually stand to gain from the dissolution of the state?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Daniel Muffinburg:
What does that have to do with the current situation?  Anyway, 20% plus unemployment plus higher rates of taxation while real wages are dropping seems pretty good to you? Transferring trillions of dollars of purchasing power to Wall Street and away from everyone else seems pretty good to you?
bloomj31:
No, none of those things are good.  But the question I can't help but ask is "couldn't that same stuff happen without a government?"
By what mechanisms could it? Without a government to grant favors and the like, I can find no such mechanisms.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

bloomj31:
So how do we explain manias and panics?
By noting the causes.

bloomj31:
Are people acting rationally even when they're buying assets at prices that can't possibly be sustainable with the hope that they'll find the next sucker?  Is that really rational?
Yes. You're using normative-case, when such is inapplicable to econ.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Then how can you justify the state we have now, and how could it possibly be not that bad when it enslaves people who choose not to be enslaved?

I don't know. I don't know your thoughts on this. Anyway, could you at least my question? Btw, nice to see that you finally make a non-collectivist statement or question.

The question is not if it's bad or not.

What are you talking about? Are telling me what my question is?

bloomj31:
It is.  The question is "do people stand to gain more from enslaving a few people like yourself than they do by allowing you to be free?"  As long as everyone decides it's in their interest to not give you your freedom, you won't have it.  If you can sell anarcho-capitalism better, it will win and so will you.

Your question ignores that value is subjective. You might benefit from raping someone, so, according to your philosophy, this is okay. However, it ignores that the person being raped does not benefit.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:33 PM

Look at this guys: Senate Dems strike deal on health care reform

You know how they got Nelson's vote?  The bought it.  Just like they bought Landrieu's.

"Nelson also won his own version of Sen. Mary Landrieu's much-derided "Louisiana Purchase." In Nelson's case, the federal government will permanently pick up all the cost of new Medicaid enrollees in Nebraska, rather than splitting the tab with the state, as is usually done. Nelson’s Nebraska is the only state singled out for such treatment – a $45 million cost to federal taxpayers that shows the power of a single senator in this debate.

The federal government will also pick up the tab for all new Medicaid enrollees in the other 49 states through 2017."

People will always be for sale.  There will always be a government willing to buy people's votes with promises of free stuff.

You get rid of the current system, someone else will just take over with more promises.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:33 PM

bloomj31:
What incentive?

I don't know. Perhaps they don't want their general quality of living to improve. Most people I meet do though. Perhaps you don't. *shrug*

We are not talking in societal terms here. We are talking to you. You are not 'society' and siding with 'society' is one of the most dangerous fallacies of all. You presume to think society has the education to know whats best economically. You also presume to think it's in society's best interest in learning economics.

It is infact not, there is a valid argument for Rational Ignorance. Division of labor stipulates that people need to invest their time in things they are good at.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

bloomj31:
To answer this question with another: How does it help me to fight for your freedom from the state?  What do I stand to gain?
Your own liberty back. It's much like recognizing how to regain your slack, which has been denied you by the pinkboys/normals/barbie-and-kens.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

filc:

I'm assuming your discounting the economic intensive society has at removing the state?

What incentive? How many people are on the government take?  Only the people who have money or make money have any reason to get rid of the government, and a lot of those people probably make the amount of money they make because of the government.  How many people actually stand to gain from the dissolution of the state?

So would you support gang rape if benefited more people than it hurt?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:35 PM

bloomj31:
People will always be for sale. 

Precisely. So remove the means of coercion. Problem solved. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

bloomj31:
You get rid of the current system, someone else will just take over with more promises.
Unsupported assertion. Rejected as such.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:36 PM

filc:

Precisely. So remove the means of coercion. Problem solved. 

You can't remove the means of coercion.  Just the current one.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:37 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Well, obviously not.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

You know how they got Nelson's vote?  The bought it.  Just like they bought Landrieu's.

"Nelson also won his own version of Sen. Mary Landrieu's much-derided "Louisiana Purchase." In Nelson's case, the federal government will permanently pick up all the cost of new Medicaid enrollees in Nebraska, rather than splitting the tab with the state, as is usually done. Nelson’s Nebraska is the only state singled out for such treatment – a $45 million cost to federal taxpayers that shows the power of a single senator in this debate.

The federal government will also pick up the tab for all new Medicaid enrollees in the other 49 states through 2017."

People will always be for sale.  There will always be a government willing to buy people's votes with promises of free stuff.

Suppose a gang of people are about to each give a beating, would you not at least try to stop the first person from beating you, even if there are more people lined up to give you a beating?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:38 PM

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Well, obviously not.

bloomj31:

Not obvious.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Well, obviously not.

Why not, isn't your support for the state based on that assumption that more people will benefit than will be hurt?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:39 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Suppose a gang of people are about to each give a beating, would you not at least try to stop the first person from beating you, even if there are more people lined up to give you a beating?

Sure I would.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:40 PM

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Well, obviously not.

But don't you support government on the same grounds?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

ama gi:

1 - Citizens arrest.  If somebody commits a crime, you either arrest them yourself, or hire somebody else to do it.

Wouldn't that be a logical, in other words, not impossible outcome of a no-state society?

ama gi:

2 - I don't care if you call it "public" or "private".  The idea is that if you commit a crime, you get dragged to the nearest courthouse, instead of haggling over multiple, competing courts.

And why wouldn't that happen in a no-state society?  Again logically, meaning it's not impossible, that this may be the case.

ama gi:

It doesn't need to be any specific number; it just needs to be a large number.

"large" is arbritrary and vacuous in meaning.  You gave a number but not a quality, meaning, and identity of who this 'group' is.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:41 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Why not, isn't your support for the state based on that assumption that more people will benefit than will be hurt?

Yes, but I don't stick to principles when they're completely inapplicable.  I judge each situation individually rather than trying to apply some abstract concept to them.  I don't care if that makes me a hypocrite sometimes.  As long as it gets me what I want.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Sure I would.

Okay. Suppose a state A is about to rob you, would you not at least try to stop the state A from robbing you, even if there are more states lined up to give to rob you?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:42 PM

Giant_Joe:

I suppose from a philosophical point of view, yes.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:42 PM

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Well, obviously not.

Well thats contrary to what you argued above.

bloomj31:

Don't conflate my meaning. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:43 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Okay. Suppose a state A is about to rob you, would you not at least try to stop the state A from robbing you, even if there are more states lined up to give to rob you?

Maybe.  Can I win?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Giant_Joe:
bloomj31:
Then you're inconsistent. Why not resolve the contradiction?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:44 PM

bloomj31:
Yes, but I don't stick to principles when they're completely inapplicable.  I judge each situation individually rather than trying to apply some abstract concept to them.  I don't care if that makes me a hypocrite sometimes.  As long as it gets me what I want.

How convenient for you to dismiss integrity. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

bloomj31:

You will be undone, Wilderness, by the people who are not like you.

And you are not helping me, which is all that matters in a discussion on such a topic between you and me.  It's what you argue for and what I argue for, and you are not helping my argument - even though - you say you would "be all" for it (whatever it is) need not be identified.  The issue is for peace, liberty, and justice or arguing on the side of initiating physical aggression.  I'm getting no help from you.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:45 PM

Knight_of_BAAWA:

Then you're inconsistent. Why not resolve the contradiction?

Because I think I stand to gain more from being inconsistent.  If I decide I stand to gain more from being consistent, I'll be consistent.  Right now, I'm thinking there's more to gain from being neutral.  Look at the billions of dollars the government is doling out.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Then all it is settled. Btw, would you rob someone if it meant that you got you what you wanted, in this case, property? After all, it's not like their is some abstract principal that you would apply that would prohibit you from doing so.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:46 PM

bloomj31:

Giant_Joe:

Let's go through this again.

For something like rape, murder, etc..

• If an action benefits people more than it hurts people, it is not ok.

For government:

•  If an action benefits people more than it hurts people, it is ok.

So yes, you are being inconsistent. Seeing as you're being inconsistent and you don't care, I won't care to argue with you on anything because you don't use the philosophical standard of reason.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:46 PM

filc:

Let me tell you something I've learned in just 23 years of life.  Those with integrity are often ruined by those without it.  We live in a disgusting world.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:47 PM

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Maybe.  Can I win?

Before the abolition of slaves there were those who argued as you did. "We can't win, slaves will always be. We cannot win in abolishing slaves". You are those men.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Maybe.  Can I win?

Can you win against the gang of people who are about to beat you?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:47 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Then all it is settled. Btw, would you rob someone if it meant that you got you what you wanted, in this case, property? After all, it's not like their is some abstract principal that you would apply that would prohibit you from doing so.

Conceivable.  What are the odds I'll get caught?  I don't wanna get caught.  Jail looks awful.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:48 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Can you win against the gang of people who are about to beat you?

Highly unlikely.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

filc:

Let me tell you something I've learned in just 23 years of life.  Those with integrity are often ruined by those without it.  We live in a disgusting world.

Yet, you've failed to do so.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:49 PM

filc:

Before the abolition of slaves there were those who argued as you did. "We can't win, slaves will always be. We cannot win in abolishing slaves". You are those men.

Well, abolish the state and then I'll support you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:50 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Yet, you've failed to do so.

No, I've been ruined more often than not for having integrity.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 4 of 10 (378 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS