Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

why I am not "anarcho-capitalist"

This post has 377 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Can you win against the gang of people who are about to beat you?

Highly unlikely.

Then, according to your logic, you support being beaten. Which leads to this:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Then all it is settled. Btw, would you rob someone if it meant that you got you what you wanted, in this case, property? After all, it's not like their is some abstract principal that you would apply that would prohibit you from doing so.

Conceivable.  What are the odds I'll get caught?  I don't wanna get caught.  Jail looks awful.

If a gang in jail began to beat you, and it is highly unlikely that you will win, then, according to you logic, you would support being beaten. Btw, does the same apply to you being gang raped in jail?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:53 PM

I see no real need to continue debating. Bloom has defamed himself enough as is. 

For some reason I mis-took Bloom as having a bit more reason. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Yet, you've failed to do so.

No, I've been ruined more often than not for having integrity.

No. What I mean is that your non-integrity has failed to ruin our integrity.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:53 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Then all it is settled. Btw, would you rob someone if it meant that you got you what you wanted, in this case, property? After all, it's not like their is some abstract principal that you would apply that would prohibit you from doing so.

Conceivable.  What are the odds I'll get caught?  I don't wanna get caught.  Jail looks awful.

If a gang in jail began to beat you, and it is highly unlikely that you will win, then, according to you logic, you would support being beaten. Btw, does the same apply to you being gang raped in jail?

Just because I won't fight something doesn't mean I support it.  It just means I know I'll lose if I fight.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:54 PM

bloomj31:

filc:

Before the abolition of slaves there were those who argued as you did. "We can't win, slaves will always be. We cannot win in abolishing slaves". You are those men.

Well, abolish the state and then I'll support you.

"Yes, I am one of those men"

Talk about integrity.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:54 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

No. What I mean is that your non-integrity has failed to ruin our integrity.

Good for you.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

filc:

I see no real need to continue debating. Bloom has defamed himself enough as is. 

For some reason I mis-took Bloom as having a bit more reason. 

I think this thread is heading down the rocky road of moral nihilism, as it did last summer.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Just because I won't fight something doesn't mean I support it.  It just means I know I'll lose if I fight.

Then, on the same grounds, do you support the state or not?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:56 PM

Guys, your integrity is good.  But look at what the Senate is doing.  None of those men have integrity.  AND YET, they're making negotiations will all our money.  Nelson sold out.  Where is his punishment?  How does he lose now?  By losing an election? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:57 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

In its current incarnation?  No.  But if it were more restrained, I would.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:58 PM

Capital Pumper:
I think this thread is going to head down the rock road of moral nihilism, as it did last summer.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:00 PM

Sure, you guys win from a philosophical point of view.  But I win from a political point of view.  Rothbard once asked "why do people see one part of our agenda they don't agree with and quit?"  Because to accept one part is to accept all in philosophy.  But in politics, not so much. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Would you support anarcho-capitalist over a restrained state?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:02 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Not in the form it's been presented.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Sure, you guys win from a philosophical point of view.  But I win from a political point of view.  Rothbard once asked "why do people see one part of our agenda they don't agree with and quit?"  Because to accept one part is to accept all in philosophy.  But in politics, not so much. 

Does the same not apply to the state? If you accept one aspect of the state, is it not to accept all in philosophy?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:04 PM

bloomj31:

Guys, your integrity is good.  But look at what the Senate is doing.  None of those men have integrity.  AND YET, they're making negotiations will all our money.  Nelson sold out.  Where is his punishment?  How does he lose now?  By losing an election? 

Duh. They work for a system thats fundamentally designed to violate rights. What did you expect?

How can you complain about that system than defend it? I'm so confused!

Democracy is flawed by design. No one on this forum expects politician's to do whats in our best interest(accept you maybe). We know thats a Utopian joke.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Highly unlikely.

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Not in the form it's been presented.

Why not?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:07 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Does the same not apply to the state? If you accept one aspect of the state, is it not to accept all in philosophy?

Only if you view the state as a philosophical concept.  Rather than what it really is. A political form.  Politics is not necessarily about making philosophies consistent.  I mean neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a consistent platform.  But they have power.  Politics is about power.  My main concern is with power, not being morally right or wrong.  Power will always manifest itself.  One way or another.  There is no way to beat the state.  It can only be molded.  I want to mold it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:08 PM

Knight_of_BAAWA:

ama gi:
I'd take direct democracy over an-cap any day.  An-caps seem to think that it's a good idea to have a hundred different PDAs and a hundred different courts with different law codes--and what could possibly go wrong?
What could possibly go wrong with letting people vote on rights! It's not like they could pass a law stating that blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. Oh wait--they could. It's not like they could pass a law stating that jews could not own property. Oh wait--they could.

Not true.

Those laws were not passed by popular referendum.  They were passed by legislatures.  Legislatures that are filled entirely by army generals, merecantilists, and their wealthy heirs.  Not very democratic, in my opinion.

Also, in those two cases you mentioned, Jews could not vote, and blacks could not vote.  Coincidence?

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:08 PM

filc:

Duh. They work for a system thats fundamentally designed to violate rights. What did you expect?

Democracy is flawed by design. No one on this forum expects politician's to do whats in our best interest(accept you maybe). We know thats a Utopian joke.

The flaw is not the system.  It's humans.  We're the problem.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

bloomj31:

No, I've been ruined more often than not for having integrity.

No.  You are ruined because you have NO integrity.  No-integrity=ruined.  I can have everything stolen from me, raped, and near murdered and walk away focused on what is important in life which is enjoying a good meal with my family, etc...  Will I have nightmares after that?  undoubtedly, but they would not be what I would want.  I would be asking why me, why me, because of what I DO want which is to be left alone in peace.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:09 PM

E. R. Olovetto:
When I need a plumber, I am at least going to call someone from the plumber section of the yellow pages, not thumb through the white pages indiscriminately.

You don't get it, do you?  Whoever picks the judges and jurors gets to rig the game.  That is why jurors should be picked at random (by lottery, or something).

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:10 PM

ama gi:
You don't get it, do you?  Whoever picks the judges and jurors gets to rig the game.  That is why jurors should be picked at random (by lottery, or something).

What makes you think consumers would continue to subscribe to a rigged game?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

filc:

I see no real need to continue debating. Bloom...  

i second that, if it hasn't already been seconded.  I know what is important in life and it's not being around somebody that is soiled/corrupt.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:11 PM

wilderness:

No.  You are ruined because you have NO integrity.  No-integrity=ruined.  I can have everything stolen from me, raped, and near murdered and walk away focused on what is important in life which is enjoying a good meal with my family, etc...  Will I have nightmares after that?  undoubtedly, but they would not be what I would want.  I would be asking why me, why me, because of what I DO want which is to be left alone in peace.

Well, Job Wilderness, your integrity is noble.  And I wouldn't say that you should ever throw it away.  What I'm saying is that anarcho-capitalism will never happen because the people who espouse it aren't willing to play dirty.  Your integrity becomes your undoing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Ama Gi, How well would you appraise your own understanding of economics, in particular the Misesian notion of Consumer Sovereignty?

Should Jurors be picked at random for the same reason that owners of capital should be picked at random and that farmers should be picked at random?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:12 PM

bloomj31:

filc:

All the more reason to remove human dictatorship and allow the invisible hand. Perhaps you should think about some of the things you stated.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:12 PM

bloomj31:

The less power to people the better then.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:12 PM

Knight_of_BAAWA:
Paid by whom? And wouldn't the whom look a lot like a PDA? If not--how not?

Jurors would need to be paid by court costs, not some monthly or annual "subscription fee".  The costs should be split evenly between both sides.  If somebody cannot afford to pay, they could set up a legal fund and have sympathetic individuals donate.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

bloomj31:

It's humans.  We're the problem.

obviously, it's not most here in this thread that is the problem.  those advocating peace and justice.  it is you bloom that is the problem.  that's not hard to figure out.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:15 PM

nirgrahamUK:
Ama Gi, How well would you appraise your own understanding of economics, in particular the Misesian notion of Consumer Sovereignty?

Of course I understand consumer sovereignty.  He who pays the piper calls the tune.  Which is exactly why I ***DON'T*** want everything to be judged by professional private arbiters.

The more jurors are on a case, and the more unpredictably they are assigned, the more difficult it is for money to influence the outcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Only if you view the state as a philosophical concept.  Rather than what it really is. A political form.  Politics is not necessarily about making philosophies consistent.  I mean neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have a consistent platform.  But they have power.  Politics is about power.  My main concern is with power, not being morally right or wrong.  Power will always manifest itself.  One way or another.  There is no way to beat the state.  It can only be molded.  I want to mold it.

Non sequitur after non sequitur.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:16 PM

filc:

All the more reason to remove human dictatorship and allow the invisible hand. Perhaps you should think about some of the things you stated.

Don't you understand?  Human dictatorship, to some degree, is unremovable.  It has been around forever and will continue to be around until humans are gone from this planet.  The question is: can we mold that dictatorship into something that can benefit the many or can't we? 

From the ashes of one government, the seeds of the next will be born.  Unless you can take humans out of the game, there will always be governments.  And they will always be corrupt at some level.  I know none of the people on this forum will ever accept that.  But this isn't something you have to accept, it simply is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:18 PM

wilderness:

obviously, it's not most here in this thread that is the problem.  those advocating peace and justice.  it is you bloom that is the problem.  that's not hard to figure out.

But there are more of people like me.  They usually just don't think they're like me.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:19 PM

ama gi:
Of course I understand consumer sovereignty.  He who pays the piper calls the tune.  Which is exactly why I ***DON'T*** want everything to be judged by professional private arbiters.

There isn't any anarcho-capitalist commandment saying you need have such a thing. The plaintiff and defendant could just as easily take the case to the barber down the street.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

bloomj31:

But there are more of people like me.  They usually just don't think they're like me.

I was simply pointing out that the "we", the all humans, are NOT the problem.  You are one of the problems.  It doesn't matter if I'm the last one standing.  Why would I want to live in a world that is totally corrupt with immoral people running around stark raving mad?  Either way I hold dear what is good and savor the good feeling of love and peace til the last moment.  I will know how it feels - to feel good.  What else is there?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:21 PM

bloomj31:
Don't you understand?

No I don't understand. Neither did the slave abolitionists. Try posting something that makes sense and isn't logically fallacious.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:21 PM
JB:
Look, I know there's no way in hell you guys are ever going to have your minds changed by talking on a forum.
That's not the point. You've made a couple of arguments that are horribly wrong. It's up to you to understand that your arguments are flawed.

If you post nonsense here it won't go unchallenged. Whether you change your mind or not is mostly irrelevant.

-------------

a general note : The business cycle is caused by counterfeiting done by the banking mafia. The banking mafia can operate without a central bank and has done that in the past. All they need is legal privileges (which they always have).
Sure, you guys win from a philosophical point of view. But I win from a political point of view.
No. You lose in both fields.
The flaw is not the system. It's humans. We're the problem.
Your mindset is problem.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

but not everything would be judged by professional private arbiters. customers do some judging too don't they? do I have to spell it out? or in light of consumer sovereignty do you may be know where this is headed already?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:24 PM

bloomj31:

Negative. Most people are not like you. If that were true we'd have many more politicians!

Pretending to know what 'most people are like' is utter lunacy.

Page 5 of 10 (378 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS