Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

why I am not "anarcho-capitalist"

This post has 377 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:15 PM

Stranger:

Power is the ability to injure without retaliation. You can eliminate power by giving everyone the means to retaliate with maximum force.

Why would the people in power allow that to happen?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:15 PM

bloomj31:

Isn't that a nice idea.  But their incentives is power.  How do you deincentivize power?

Have government in the form of a firm instead of a state for starters.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:22 PM

Angurse:

Or, how about no government at all.  Let the people themselves act as legislators, cops, and judges in a direct democracy.

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:23 PM

bloomj31:

At what point does it become trolling?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:24 PM

bloomj31:

Stranger:

Power is the ability to injure without retaliation. You can eliminate power by giving everyone the means to retaliate with maximum force.

Because they are destroying themselves in their greed and corruption.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

bloomj31:
I'm saying there is no permanent solution.  There will always be governments.
Will there?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:25 PM

Alright, I'm done arguing about this for now.  We shall see what happens, perhaps the an-cap people will be correct.  I'm not betting on it though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Knight_of_BAAWA:
Eventually he'll die, as we all do. If nothing else, that will be the justice. Your questions belie a naive belief in Ultimate Justice.
bloomj31:
That's not good enough for me.
Then you should eliminate your ridiculous belief in Ultimate Justice.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

Angurse:

Or, how about no government at all.  Let the people themselves act as legislators, cops, and judges in a direct democracy.

Can there be multiple democracies? Say, you are a member of one democracy while I am a member of another?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:

Alright, I'm done arguing about this for now.  We shall see what happens, perhaps the an-cap people will be correct.  I'm not betting on it though.

Correct about what?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 8:59 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:
Can there be multiple democracies? Say, you are a member of one democracy while I am a member of another?

Of course.

Now of course, only 1 democracy can have jurisdiction in a certain dispute.  If you commit a crime in California, you will be arrested and tried in California under California law, not Nevada or Texas--regardless of whether you live in Nevada or Texas, or whether you really really like Nevada or Texas.

And of course there would be something similar in anarchy.

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:08 PM

ama gi:

Now of course, only 1 democracy can have jurisdiction in a certain dispute.  If you commit a crime in California, you will be arrested and tried in California under California law, not Nevada or Texas--regardless of whether you live in Nevada or Texas, or whether you really really like Nevada or Texas.

That's all fine, but if you commit a crime in your own home, why should California have jurisdiction over that?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Of course...

Can I be the sole member of a democracy?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:17 PM

ama gi:

How does being a member of a firm removes your status as being a person? Regardless, direct democracy is still a government ...  a bad one at that.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:18 PM

For those that are defending democracy how do you deal with the economic calculation problem? That is after-all primarily the reason why democracy fails.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:32 PM

filc:

For those that are defending democracy how do you deal with the economic calculation problem? That is after-all primarily the reason why democracy fails.

Since a direct democracy does require taxes, it does not reallocate scarce resources.  So where does the "economic calculation problem" fit in to this?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:
Since a direct democracy does require taxes, it does not reallocate scarce resources.

was there a type here somewhere? or something ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

filc:

Since a direct democracy does require taxes, it does not reallocate scarce resources.  So where does the "economic calculation problem" fit in to this?

I do not understand. Please explain further.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:35 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:
Can I be the sole member of a democracy?

If you want to call yourself that, then yeah.  But if you infringe on my rights, it is the perogative of my democracy to bring you to justice.

Sheesh.  All these trick questions are making my head hurt.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:36 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

My bad.

Since a direct democracy does NOT require taxes, it does not reallocate scarce resources.  So where does the "economic calculation problem" fit in to this?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:
Since a direct democracy does NOT require taxes,
can you evidence? or state?, or point to an external article that states an argument for this ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

Daniel Muffinburg:

My bad.

Since a direct democracy does NOT require taxes, it does not reallocate scarce resources.  So where does the "economic calculation problem" fit in to this?

So, these democracies you advocate, how are they states?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:42 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

They aren't.

Popular referendum, citizens arrest, and trial by jury.  Add them together, and you have democratic anarchy.  No legislation, regulation, or taxation needed.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:46 PM

ama gi:
Popular referendum, citizens arrest, and trial by jury.  Add them together, and you have democratic anarchy.  No legislation, regulation, or taxation needed.

Who pays for and maintains these services.

• Who pays for the Jail, court house, Judge, ect....

What happens if a private security agency would like to offer it's services to a city? Is that allowed or does your 'direct' democracy still assume a monopoly over force?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:

Daniel Muffinburg:

They aren't.

So, how is this incompatible with anarcho-capitalism?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:03 PM

bloomj31:
Power is a function of numbers and arms.

No it isn't. Why do citizens obey their rulers, when the former greatly outnumber and have more arms than the latter? It always comes back to ideas. Ideas rule the world.

See Mises, Boétie, and Hayek for starters.

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

bloomj31:
Power is a function of numbers and arms.

Right, and those numbers are dependent upon consent, which is dependent on ideas, which is dependent on philosophy.

You won't be able to grasp this stuff,unless you start to take your premises through more than one logical progression.

I suggest reading De La Boetie on servitude.  You can find material on this site.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:06 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:
So, how is this incompatible with anarcho-capitalism?

This thread should be re-titled to "Why I'm an anarcho-capitalist who believes in direct democracy."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:13 PM

filc:
Who pays for the Jail, court house, Judge, ect....

Court fees.  If somebody goes to court, they have to pay for the jury, the guards, etc.  The court costs should be evenly split between the plaintiff and defendant, so that one side doesn't have the advantage.  Anybody who cannot afford to pay the court costs should set up a legal fund and have sympathetic people contribute.

Since the service is paid by user fees, no taxes are necessary. It creates a positive externality; you enjoy the peace and security the law offers, but you don't pay for it unless you actually use it.

filc:
What happens if a private security agency would like to offer it's services to a city? Is that allowed or does your 'direct' democracy still assume a monopoly over force?

If some security agency or PDA wants to offer their services, fine.  But they cannot make up their own rules; they have to abide by the laws that have been set by court precedent and public referendum.

A pluralty of police companies is ok; a pluralty of law codes is not.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

what keeps courts/judges honest, where there is not competition in courts/judges?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:34 PM

ama gi:

ama gi:

What? Its either one world government or its plural, which is it now?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:40 PM

ama gi:

ama gi:

Now of course, only 1 democracy can have jurisdiction in a certain dispute.

No contradiction there.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:43 PM

ama gi:

ama gi:

ama gi:

No contradiction there.

I'd still like to know how the system you advocate is incompatible with anarcho-capitalism.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:43 PM

ama gi:

ama gi:

ama gi:

No contradiction there.

Are you sure?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:45 PM

nirgrahamUK:

what keeps courts/judges honest, where there is not competition in courts/judges?

Show me twelve jurors selected at random, and I'm sure they are honest.

Show me a career judge who has been presiding over a court for twenty years, and I'll bet he has been offered some cash from interested parties.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:50 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:
I'd still like to know how the system you advocate is incompatible with anarcho-capitalism.

Under direct democracy, majority consensus is legally binding.

Under anarcho-capitalism, only contracts are legally binding.

I think....

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:55 PM

ama gi:

Daniel Muffinburg:

Under direct democracy, majority consensus is legally binding.

Under anarcho-capitalism, only contracts are legally binding.

I think....

How are the democracies you advocate entered into if not by contract?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ama gi:
Show me twelve jurors selected at random, and I'm sure they are honest.

are the random-selectors chosen at random ?

do you have a problem of regress......

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Daniel Muffinburg:
How are the democracies you advocate entered into if not by contract?

Ouch, ama gi in full retreat now!

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:33 AM

By natural law.

Morality is not optional.  It is not "entered into" by contract.  You are obligated to respect the lives and properties of others, regardless of whether or not you signed a contract to that effect.  For that reason, contracts are not the be-all and end-all of civil law.

If a law has been passed by democratic processes, and it is consistent with natural law, it is a moral imperative to obey that law.  If a law has been passed by democratic processes (or any other process) that is not consistent with natural law, it is a moral imperative to violate that law.  It's as simple as that.

Natural law is what protects human rights.  But--here's the kicker--natural law is invisible.  Inaudiable.  Almost imaginary.  And for that reason, somebody needs to put that law into words.

Now the question is, who?  Some dictator?  Some legislature?  Some privileged nobility class?

Or maybe some myriad of private corporations?

I'd rather have natural law be verbalized by you and me.  Ordinary people without any fancy titles.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 7 of 10 (378 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS