Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Looking for a Master

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 115
Benjamin1981 Posted: Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:06 PM

As a middle-class man, and academic late bloomer, I find myself privy to the "red pill" at the age of 28.  Only recently have I discovered the treasures of Classical Liberalism and Austrian Economics.

I am seeking a mentor in these subjects, and others (survivalist, agriculture, etc).  My ideal mentor is someone who is a devout Christian, and is well advanced in political and economic theory.  I am looking to consult someone who perhaps is retired, or has time enough to receive a random phone call or the occasional visit.

Like General Thomas Jackson, I have no family that is capable of teaching me what I need to know.  Lord Chesterfield might only take me so far... Geeked  I am a resident of Jefferson, GA and would like to meet someone in Northern Georgia, if possible.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Benjamin1981:
As a middle-class man, and academic late bloomer, I find myself privy to the "red pill" at the age of 28.

This community is probably much younger on average than you are..  You might have better luck finding someone through the LvMI Facebook group which has a lot of members (more than 10,000?) and probably a signficant share of Christians.

In the meantime, you're welcome to read and jump into the action here.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:33 PM

Unfortunately there are too many Luke Skywalkers and not enough Yodas left.

You're on your own.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 150
Points 2,730

Good for you, Benjamin.  I discovered austrian economics at the age of 29, and I've been having a blast ever since.   I am 30 now, so it hasn't been very long, and I have yet to delve into Human Action or Man, Economy, and State.   I plan to do that in January of next year.  In the mean time, I am still working on my libertarian studies and my social science studies.

Crazy as it might seem, my real goal was to write about relationships, love, sex, etc etc, not economics, political theory, or social sciences.

I recommend these links:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/12668.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/12106.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/11986.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/6995.aspx?PageIndex=1

Stranger:

You're on your own.

This is epic...

You observe, but you do not see.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Have you asked the question 'What is stopping me from teaching myself?'?

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:47 PM

Justin Laws:

Stranger:

You're on your own.

This is epic...

Whats encouraging about this is how many Yoda's there will be in 30 years.

I recently met a family who raised their children reading Human Action as a bed time story rather then your typical fairy tales. Lucky kids!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 115

I am in the process.  But, as in business, an "advisory board" is advisable.

Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

filc:
I recently met a family who raised their children reading Human Action as a bed time story rather then your typical fairy tales. Lucky kids!

And the logical positivist said 'Fairy tales! BAH!'

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525
filc:

"Shrek didn't portray an evenly rotating economy! What an absurd fantasy!"

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Benjamin1981:

It's a pretty unique thing you are looking for, particularly the knowledge about survivalism and agriculture.  Those are topics which I rarely see addressed on this site but definitely addressed at LewRockwell.com, which in some ways is a more populist, senior version of this community in blog and article format.

As far as getting started in AE, I think Justin posted several threads to check out.  You can get lots of feedback on different topics, books, authors, articles here.  I think the most commonly recommended books are Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt and Economics for Real People by Gene Callahan.  The former is available online for free, and in print, and the latter I am not sure if it is available for free online, but definitely in print.

Also the site has an EXTENSIVE media section, with downloadable books, video and audio.  There are great 10 part lecture series on AE, American history etc from Tom Woods, Tom DiLorenzo, Joe Salerno and Walter Block if I remember correctly.  These are some of the more senior LvMI fellows and all experts in their fields.

So the ball is in your court.  Don't be intimidated about posting, feel free to jump in, and until you find that master, there are lots of great resources to get you started.  This is fairly intuitive stuff to grasp.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 150
Points 2,730

liberty student:

Benjamin1981:

... particularly the knowledge about survivalism and agriculture.

I totally missed this.  I do have one recommendation, that is, if I am not mistaken on what you mean about 'survivalism'. 

Check out John Wesley Rawles blog at : http://www.survivalblog.com/

If you don't mind the christian bits on his site, you can find some great survival tips and expertise.

You observe, but you do not see.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Benjamin1981:

As a middle-class man, and academic late bloomer, I find myself privy to the "red pill" at the age of 28.  Only recently have I discovered the treasures of Classical Liberalism and Austrian Economics.

I am seeking a mentor in these subjects, and others (survivalist, agriculture, etc).  My ideal mentor is someone who is a devout Christian, and is well advanced in political and economic theory.  I am looking to consult someone who perhaps is retired, or has time enough to receive a random phone call or the occasional visit.

Like General Thomas Jackson, I have no family that is capable of teaching me what I need to know.  Lord Chesterfield might only take me so far... Geeked  I am a resident of Jefferson, GA and would like to meet someone in Northern Georgia, if possible.

Assuming , for the sake of argument, that such a person exists, how would you propose to appeal to that persons self-interest in order for them to be willing to take you on as a student?

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 25
Keith replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 8:45 AM

Hello! I’m a little older than you are, but not too much. A Biblical Christian (I hope, but I’m not the judge of that). No denominational strings. I would love to share with you the Biblical argument that GOD is all about liberty and shuns statism! I’ve been catching up on Mises material and thought for maybe a year. But be encouraged: It is amazing how quickly you can learn as you teach yourself. In fact, Jesus often asked people, “What do YOU think?”

There is also a compelling scriptural miracle which counters federal reserve fake currency policy - and I think - exposes the delusion of our currency apparatus! We can discuss that, if you'd like.

I’m in western NC – in the mountains. My friend, I am unlearning much of what was fed to me in the government schools and catching onto the reality now, leaving the matrix behind! Would be happy to hear from you and hear what you are learning as well!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Also if you are looking for survival material then FM 21-76 is your best bet. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS