Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Points?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990
Libertyandlife Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:52 PM

What are these points things supposed to mean/ supposed to do?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Libertyandlife:

What are these points things supposed to mean/ supposed to do?

I'm guessing that it is a type of rewards system.  Good posts will probably be quoted more often, which allows them to accumulate points (15 per reference; that is, when someone clicks the "reply" button).  Also, it serves as a reputation meter, although this doesn't always hold true.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

However, has the most points is the coolest anarchist. Stick out tongue

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:32 AM

It seems like a useless and confusing feature. If it could be disabled I'd be all for it.

A better function that other forums use is to show when you first registered.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Nielsio:

It seems like a useless and confusing feature. If it could be disabled I'd be all for it.

A better function that other forums use is to show when you first registered.

I actually think a rewards system is a good idea.  I'm not sure how the current system is "confusing", but it's not worth debating it.  I think that a point system should be developed in which the forum members can rate each other's posts, and add points, so that it's a more accurate measure of a post's quality.  This would certainly provide a greater incentive to provide good posts (maybe a "like" button ,which would give the relevant post X amount of points).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

You get points when you respond to a post and you get points when someone directly replies to your post. What this means is that people like alimentarius (spelling?) and Democracy for Breakfast get a lot of points because they start many threads, most of which get a lot replies.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^Okay so that explains why I have more points then Nielsio with less posts.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 494
Points 6,980

Or the biggest troll?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 125
Points 2,085
JeffB replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:18 PM

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

I actually think a rewards system is a good idea.  I'm not sure how the current system is "confusing", but it's not worth debating it.  I think that a point system should be developed in which the forum members can rate each other's posts, and add points, so that it's a more accurate measure of a post's quality.  This would certainly provide a greater incentive to provide good posts (maybe a "like" button ,which would give the relevant post X amount of points).

Yeah, I've seen that on a few message boards.  They have good and bad points about them, however.  Sometimes they can cause hard feelings or arguments.  People might also alter their posts to get more points, which could be a good or a bad thing depending upon the person or situation.  Some might even like the "bad boy" reputation and see how many people they can tick off.

At a sports board for my university (from years ago) they have a system where the members can "vote to suspend" someone that ticks them off.  If they get enough such votes the person gets a "timeout" until the next day.  That can be kind of funny at times, but is more geared to a board with a lot more rivalries with other schools etc.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:39 PM

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

You think that's a good conversation environment? Where everybody rates each other all the time?

And yes, the current system is confusing. Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of points; is that supposed to make me any wiser? A join date and the number of posts is far more informing because it gives you an idea of how often someone posts, and how long they've been involved here; those give you an idea of how familiar that person is with the thoughts, ideas and attitudes that exist on LVMI and on this board.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Nielsio:

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

You think that's a good conversation environment? Where everybody rates each other all the time?

And yes, the current system is confusing. Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of points; is that supposed to make me any wiser? A join date and the number of posts is far more informing because it gives you an idea of how often someone posts, and how long they've been involved here; those give you an idea of how familiar that person is with the thoughts, ideas and attitudes that exist on LVMI and on this board.

100% agree. An ignore feature would be nice too.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Nielsio:

Well, that's not exactly what I proposed.  You have the option to rate, just like you currently have the option to rate a thread through the star system.

What if that person is one who has been spouting nonsense for the past three years?  It seems to me that both are equally as poorly indicative of a person's reliability as each other.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 9:12 PM

Do we get prizes for the points we acumulate?  I also figured that maybe you could actually have a rank or score by dividing the post count by the point count and then multiply it by a thousand.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Bert:

Do we get prizes for the points we acumulate?  I also figured that maybe you could actually have a rank or score by dividing the post count by the point count and then multiply it by a thousand.

Your prize is your score. Stick out tongue  It's like when a professor tells you that the reward for taking the class is the knowledge you gain.

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 275

I thought it was so cute to see us getting beans for playing on the forum on an economists website. Geeked 

And then I wondered how the bean distribution would affect people's behavior.  Hahaha!   Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS