Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Haiti's Government is Disabled. Where's the Chaos?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Wed, Jan 13 2010 8:10 PM

[Anzel Herz] described scenes of carnage and desperate attempts to rescue trapped people, saying that "Haitians are banding together" to help one another despite the lack of communication and assistance from the government in the immediate aftermath of the disaster[.]
 source

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 166
Points 2,875
Beefheart replied on Wed, Jan 13 2010 8:37 PM

Surely this is simply the sign that the Haitian government was able to create moral people. Without their upbringing, they would just be savages. Eating their own poop and having sex with wildlife, I'm sure.

My personal Anarcho-Capitalist flag. The symbol in the center stands for "harmony" and "protection"-- I'm hoping to illustrate the bond between order/justice and anarchy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,305
TelfordUS replied on Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:02 PM

I like your flag, Beefheart. I have an idea of a vertical banner-like flag, with a white "A", outlined in black on top of a white background.

http://www.daniellesplace.com/Images4/letterA.gif

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:00 PM

This must be lies.  I am sure they are all killing and raping each other until the government officials arrive on scene and get everything organized.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:30 PM

There's so much chaos in Haiti you wouldn't even tell that there is chaos.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:53 PM

Stranger:

There's so much chaos in Haiti you wouldn't even tell that there is chaos.

I'm talking about the chaos where everyone is killing and raping each other non-stop.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Daniel Muffinburg:

[Anzel Herz] described scenes of carnage and desperate attempts to rescue trapped people, saying that "Haitians are banding together" to help one another despite the lack of communication and assistance from the government in the immediate aftermath of the disaster[.]
 source

So, do you honestly think that a post-catastrophe Haiti, during the first couple days, is a good case study for anarchy?  Are you out of your mind, or just an ideologue willing to cast a blind eye to intellectual standards?

Honestly, to even state a conclusion from the evidence available (a single article) is intellectually irresponsible, and it would not even be possible to state a conclusion from such a case-study (assuming that it is even a sound study, which I would state that it is not) responsibly without knowing the full scheme of events known.  For us to know that, we will need at least a year to survey the damages.

Furthermore, this is a bad case-study due to the fact that it is known that individuals band together in times of trial, and hardship like what happened in Port-au-Prince.  However, it is also known that such charity can often be very temporary, and therefore the events immediately following such a catastrophe are not going to give a fruitful analysis for what would be expected under normal circumstances.

In addition, in order to prove a point, such an analysis would have to prove that "statists" predict there would be chaos in the first days following the event.

Finally,  cannot the dust settle before everyone starts using this human tragedy in order to score political points?

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Don't take this thread too seriously.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Thu, Jan 14 2010 9:11 PM

There are quite a number of articles that state it is very chaotic.  Hati has suffered a quick and severe homeostatic shock to the inhabitants whatever happens there I would think proves nothing.  It is too dramatic an event to be worth much of a study, not only that it is still ongoing. 

Also as a bit of an "appeal to humanity" (for a lack of a better term), perhaps it is a bit too early to be applying libertarian ideology when there is severe trauma still existing to the situation as we speak.  To me, it would seem to be in bad taste.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Read my previous post.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS