Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ignoble Prize in Economics?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 11
Points 250
Robert Brager Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:27 PM

The "Real World Economics Review Blog" is accepting submissions (limited to three per poster; opened on 12 January) for what they're calling the Ignoble Prize in Economics, with an aim towards awarding it to those most culpable for the current GFC, which I take to mean Global Financial Catastrophe.  Currently, apart from my lackluster contribution, there appears to me to be no Austrian input on the form that this thing is taking.  It's really a trifle, really, but it did move me to wonder what direction an influx of Austrians might lead it in.

A critic did nominate Walras, of all people, and bemoaned that they couldn't nominate Menger and Jevons as well.  That was amusing.  

http://rwer.wordpress.com/nominations-for-the-ignoble-prize-for-economics/

http://rwer.wordpress.com/poll-procedures-for-the-ignoble-prize-for-economics/

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Keynes; no contest

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 328
Points 5,650

nirgrahamUK:

Keynes; no contest

I would agree, but their rules are only for economists active in the last quarter century. In that case, Alan Greenspan.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Robert Brager:

A critic did nominate Walras, of all people, and bemoaned that they couldn't nominate Menger and Jevons as well.  That was amusing.  

An anti-marginalist?  Interesting.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 11
Points 250

That Keynes is the culprit most readily identifiable is not in doubt.  

Get a load of their GENERAL RULES:

Only economists may be nominated, and they must have been active during part of the last quarter century.  Joke nominations (e.g., Baker, Keen or Roubini for the Ignoble Prize) or ones suspected of being motivated by malice or for which no supporting evidence is forthcoming will not be accepted or allowed to stand.  Likewise evidence submitted must be substantive, accurate and presented in good taste.

Keynes is out and what are we to make of the public works programs and expanded regulatory apparatus of the state favored by Dean Baker?  Accurately predicting the bursting of an asset bubble is cool and all, but that doesn't necessarily make Baker a great economist.  

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

nirgrahamUK:

Keynes; no contest

Fed policy has been more monetarist / price-stabilizationist than Keynesian.  So I'd actually nominate Irving Fisher and Milton Friedman over Keynes for this particular mess.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I think honourable mention should go to the Krugman for sticking with that broken window fallacy, and as someone we could have trusted to have messed things up even worse than Span did

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Krugman and Keynes should win the Lifetime Fail Award for Econ.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130
Praetyre replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 6:23 PM

Difficult to pin down. As has been pointed out, Keynesian theory is not the only big influence on fiscal policy, and it shoud be noted that there are many modern Keynesians who differ and disagree greatly with their progenitor. As for Bernanke, well, he's like the driver of a car that's going over the cliff. It doesn't matter if he's a saint or the Devil himself, you are still going to get smashed to bits when the car goes over.

This is off topic, but this reminds me of my idea to nominate the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for a Lifetime Achievement in the Ignobel Prize for Science.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 6:28 PM

J. Grayson Lilburne:

nirgrahamUK:

Keynes; no contest

So I'd actually nominate Irving Fisher and Milton Friedman over Keynes for this particular mess.

I think awarding the prize to Friedman would unfortunately be perceived as a triumph of the "see deregulation, greed and free markets caused this!" crowd. I wouldn't even put it past someone voting for Hayek for the same mistaken reasons.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic...

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 6:43 PM

abskebabs:

I think awarding the prize to Friedman would unfortunately be perceived as a triumph of the "see deregulation, greed and free markets caused this!" crowd. I wouldn't even put it past someone voting for Hayek for the same mistaken reasons.

Ha, ha! What I noticed is that free markets are always blamed for every social/economic/political ill while science and technology are always the reason for social progress as in, "Free markets didn't cause the population to double, that was caused by the reaper and the process of crop rotation." Or something like it. Seriously we can't win against this kind of hair-splitting! Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 7:02 PM

J. Grayson Lilburne:
Fed policy has been more monetarist / price-stabilizationist than Keynesian.  So I'd actually nominate Irving Fisher and Milton Friedman over Keynes for this particular mess.

I don't see how you reach this conclusion. The FED has been working with the Philips curve and they target short term interest rates, as opposed to the money supply. Fisher was bad on monetary theory but his work on capital was quite impressive (not technically Austrian in the Misesian sense, but still good).

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:42 PM

I think it has to be Thomas Friedman, Paul Krugman, or the guy that made that ridiculous freakanomics book.  Maybe flat tax people.  And the fair tax people.  Libertarian paternalists.  Bernanke.  Greenspan.  Jim Mad Money Kramer.

Not necessarily for current mess -- economists didn't cause it --  but in general.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:24 PM

Robert Brager:

The "Real World Economics Review Blog" is accepting submissions (limited to three per poster; opened on 12 January) for what they're calling the Ignoble Prize in Economics, with an aim towards awarding it to those most culpable for the current GFC, which I take to mean Global Financial Catastrophe.

All of them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:08 AM

Thomas Friedman. He did more damage than most of us can imagine.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:14 AM

Kakugo:

Thomas Friedman. He did more damage than most of us can imagine.

Why?

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 6:48 AM

JosephBright:

nirgrahamUK:

Keynes; no contest

I would agree, but their rules are only for economists active in the last quarter century. In that case, Alan Greenspan.  

I'm pretty sure that if you vote Krugman, everyone will know you meant to vote Keynes.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS