Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Progressivism - A Materials List

This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:06 PM

The following sources are a list of both audio lectures and written sources concerning the history of the Progressive movement in the US. If there is something I missed or you wish to add, please feel free.

Written Sources:

The Triumph of Conservatism: A Reinterpretation of American History, 1900-1916 by Gabriel Kolko

The Invisible Hand of Planning: Capitalism, Social Science and the State in the 1920's by Guy Alchon

Designing the Industrial State: The Intellectual Pursuit of Collectivism in American, 1880-1940 by James Gilbert

A Century of War by John Denson

The Corporate Ideal in the Liberal State, 1900-1918 by James Weinstein

'World War I as Fulfillment: Power and the Intellectuals' by Murray Rothbard

'War Collectivism in World War I' by Murray Rothbard

'The Progressive Era and the Family' by Murray Rothbard

'Origins of the Federal Reserve' by Murray Rothbard

'The Progressive Era' by William Anderson

'Millennialism and the Progressive Movement' by Gary North

'The Reform Mentality, War, Peace, and the National State: from the Progressives to Vietnam' by Arthur Ekrich Jr

'A Spectre is Haunting America: An Interpretation of Progressivism' by Alan Stone

Audio Sources:

'The Progressive Era?' by Murray Rothbard

'The Progressive Era Triple Alliance: Government as Cartelizer' ( Part One / Part Two ) by Murray Rothbard

'Hayek and His Lamentable Contemporaries' by Murray Rothbard

'The Progressive Era' by Thomas Woods

'Teddy Roosevelt and the Origins of the Modern Welfare-Warfare State' by Thomas Woods

'World War I: A Failure of State Elites' by Ralph Raico

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 8,260

I bequeath to you five stars and a bump, but I doubt this is as romantic as your Marxist material list Stick out tongue

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

*Updated*

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Very nice, thanks. Can you link to the Marxism list?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

I would be really interested in materials on progressivism in Europe.

Scrooge McDuck:
Very nice, thanks. Can you link to the Marxism list?

This place has a search function, you know. smiley

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/11986.aspx

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

"I would be really interested in materials on progressivism in Europe."

That would really be an interesting angle. I have some books that are about how Progressivism came to America through Western Europe but I haven't read them yet. If any names pop up I will be sure to bring them up.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Andrew, I suggest you investigate eugenics programs in Denmark, Iceland, and Norway during the 1950s. There's a wealth of material there about the general thinking behind the loose axis of American Progressivism, British Fabianism, and north European Social Democracy.

All of them independent, but all of them reaching the same conclusions from the same premises.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Andrew Cain:
"I would be really interested in materials on progressivism in Europe."

That would really be an interesting angle. I have some books that are about how Progressivism came to America through Western Europe but I haven't read them yet. If any names pop up I will be sure to bring them up.

Yes. Or to be precise, how progrssivism originated in Europe and lead to world war I. There's a lot of material on how progressivism in the US led to the US joining the war, but not how it got started in Europe.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

"Yes. Or to be precise, how progrssivism originated in Europe and lead to world war I. There's a lot of material on how progressivism in the US led to the US joining the war, but not how it got started in Europe."

That would be a great topic for a research paper.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

"Andrew, I suggest you investigate eugenics programs in Denmark, Iceland, and Norway during the 1950s. There's a wealth of material there about the general thinking behind the loose axis of American Progressivism, British Fabianism, and north European Social Democracy.

All of them independent, but all of them reaching the same conclusions from the same premises."

Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS