Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

constitutional clearups

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

posted on Thu, Jan 28 2010 1:34 AM | Locked

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States....

No State shall.........coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts....

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;....

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years....

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.........

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person........

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.........

i was looking over instances where there words gold, silver, coin, money, credit and dollar appeard in the constitution.

questions....

1.  congress shall have to power to coin money....does shall have the power mean 'the only power'??

2.  does coin mean specifically to make metal roundish things from a mold or stamp or cast?

3.  if congress made a copper coin but the states were required to make gold or silver coin as legal tender in payment of debts...does that mean that a copper coin couldnt be demanded as final payment??

4.  if you borrow money on the credit of the us....does that mean borrow in coin only...does it have to be gold and silver?  (coin money, current coin, gold and silver coin as tender in payment of debts)

5.  if there a distinction between money and 'tender in payment of debts'?  iow, if a promised to give wheat for beer....and i instead give my wheat to my horse, would i legally have to then pay in gold and/or silver if i didnt have any wheat?  

6.  i assume the dollars term in the constitution means the old silver coin???

7.  when regulating the value thereof of coin.....does that mean its precious-metal content to other things or some type of enlightened political value...determined by the initiated???

ie.....one 1oz silver guanatoro (fake name....) would be equal to two 218.75 grain amerigos (fake name..for illustrative purposes only)

8.  do the cc debates clear these issues up or are the a collection of inexpensive (or online) resources that would do the same.

thanks.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 12:21 AM | Locked

additionally, how much silver or gold was required to make a sure a coin was a silver or gold coin??

did it matter?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
299 Posts
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:33 AM | Locked

I can't remember where I heard that when the constitution refers to dollar, it means the Spanish milled, the most popular coin for it's qualities of the day.

I'm huge on the weights and measures thing, I pray for the day when I have only one set(metric) of tools to lose, and break. I also find the Gregorian calender and the twenty four hour day to be poor measurements.

I find the Constitution to be a Federalist usurpation of the confederation of states.

My take on the original language of the U.S.C., is that these folks dealt with the tribulations of paper money. Thus they meant to put it into law that hard money was the only acceptable tender. Didn't work. Damned shysters with their schemes to get more reward for less work using government force. Obviously the Constitution is not followed. Those clowns in office are a bunch of seedy grafters.

I wonder if the states themselves can use the gold or silver clause to allow private minters to produce coinage? I'm am totally for competition in media of exchange. The States can't coin, but they can surely allow coinage. They, after all, must pay their debts in specie. As long as it does not represent a U.S. coin, it should be okay to produce coins. Wouldn't it solve so much confusion as to the nature of money if we could get rid of dumb names for money like dollar, franc, etc, and replace the names with actual weights.

Individualism Rocks

Top 500 Contributor
Male
299 Posts
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:53 AM | Locked

edison:
well, the paper dollar wasnt around then (i havent seen one anyway) so i assume of the spanish coin was what they were referring to, but have seen it called the real...so i am not sure if they were the same or not, that is why i was asking to confirm.

Oh! you haven't seen a continental http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Continental_six_dollars_copy_1875.png/180px-Continental_six_dollars_copy_1875.png

It's not worth one. Well today it's worth more than a dollar to a collector. In the western world the curse of paper started roughly eighty years earlier.

edison:
but the rest isnt so important to me.

Well, tools aren't free. I'm for having the same ****ing standard. You perhaps don't know the frustration of working on something with both metric and standard hardware? As for the calender it's stupid, archaic and inaccurate. I much prefer the twenty eight day perpetual, it follows the moon. And if we measured time in a ten base science would be greater enhanced. Children making calculations would have fewer conversions to make for time, and it can serve as a locational device better if it's in a system of ten. I dig the twenty hour day.

edison:
shouldn't have

Yeah, but the liberty coin went down. Those damned subjugators dislike freedom and competition.

Individualism Rocks

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS