Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What would/should happen to gold held by FRB

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 415
Cluesaw posted on Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:46 PM

Any ideas as to what would/should  happen to the gold held by the FRB if the Fed was ever abolished?

Say we went back to a gold backed currency.

I have read arguments  using  this  as a reason why we shouldn't go back to a gold standard.   Not sure why though.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
253 Posts
Points 4,535

Cluesaw:

Any ideas as to what would/should  happen to the gold held by the FRB if the Fed was ever abolished?

Say we went back to a gold backed currency.

I have read arguments  using  this  as a reason why we shouldn't go back to a gold standard.   Not sure why though.

This is purely a hypothetical, since the government would never voluntarily disband their printing press.

But IF it happened.

The dissolving FED and/or government would have to redeem each and every one of those outstanding Federal Reserve Notes.  They would do so with all that gold.  The question is, what price would the FED set as par for redeeming each note.  I can assure you that it is the holder of the FRNs and not the government that will get screwed in that transaction.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:48 AM

Sell it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:59 PM

It would become convertible for Federal Reserve Notes, ending the expropriation of the holders of these notes.

Not Ranked
Male
6 Posts
Points 75

scineram:

Sell it.

For whose profit?

Not Ranked
Male
6 Posts
Points 75

caravelle:

i believe this post was referring to the end of the federal  reserve so there wouldnt be federal reserve notes.

The dollars are still and would still be physically in existence. The proposal is that people would be able to turn in their existing dollars for tiny amounts of Gold (that's all it would amount to given the expansive money supply) which would then be circulated and eventually deposited in exchange for REAL money notes on the market.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

The owners obviously.

Not Ranked
Male
6 Posts
Points 75

scineram:

The owners obviously.

Meaning the FRB governors, or the holders of U.S. Dollars?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 7:08 AM

If I knew that the US government would obey my every command, I’d just have them abolish legal tender laws and then privatize (really, not formally) the Fed. Its gold would of course go to the purchaser. This is not only a good idea, but indeed the only way possible to escape form inflation. Redeeming dollars for gold, ala Mises/Rothbard, as I’ve argued elsewhere, runs counter to the Money Value Theorem, and would never work.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 3:19 AM

caravelle:

has inflation occurred without a central bank??

well, you might find this interesting.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS