Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Regulations

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90
Clyon posted on Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:30 PM

Is anyone aware of a Mises Circle / Economics discussion (looking for audio or video) where failure of regulations were specifically discussed? 

thanks

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
785 Posts
Points 13,445

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOmMimlWvU

Creating the next great depression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJY3fnhS5Bs

Interventionism

IDK, I don't know whether to count the huge stuff about the fed or not but thats from Mises Media after two seconds of looking.

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90
Clyon replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 6:48 PM

thanks.

I have watched both of those, was looking for something  more specific.  I remember Block talking about UL specifically in regards to private regulations, but it's kind of hard to compare that to a financial regulatory division.  I was hoping for more elaborate discussions on private regulations / state regulations and reasons why one fails and one succeeds.

I should have been more specific in my original request.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Clyon:
I was hoping for more elaborate discussions on private regulations / state regulations and reasons why one fails and one succeeds.

For the same reason govt anything fails and pvt anything succeeds.

The pvt guy knows if he does a bad job he will go bankrupt. So he does his very best to please the public. If he doesn't know how, he indeed goes bankrupt and someone who does know how takes over eventually.

The govt guy figures, "If I mess up who cares? It's not my money, and my boss won't fire me cause it's not his money either. In fact the more we fail the more money we can ask from Congress. [This last from Lew Rockwell, I think].

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS