Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

All Mises U content now available through Bit Torrent

This post has 42 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670
mattthetalker Posted: Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:33 AM

I thought this would be a good way of spreading our message freely, further, and faster.
I arranged all information within the torrent exactly as it was downloaded from the beautifully-arranged Mises U that you have implemented on iTunes.
I thought this additional format of delivery would be handy for those that wanted to have everything (as of 3/4/10) in an organized mass download.
It weighs in at a staggering 15.9 GB of content-- 1500 files or so-- but this is what torrents specialize at transmitting-- spread across hundreds or more seeders/leechers, the whole of the data can be accessed rather quickly, and with just a one-click effort.
I think torrent file technology is a beautiful manifestation of libertarian ideals-- what better way to deliver the message of freedom and wisdom than this?
As you may know, the more people accessing and seeding the file, the faster it will be for everyone to get and use. Please distribute the following link at your discretion to all that you think might use it.
Once it's seeded well it should give all interested an even easier way to download these works -- I hope it meets your approval.

Please let me know if you have any difficulty--

Here is the link that should open your bit torrent client directly to the .torrent I made of everything:

http://www.torrentbox.com/download/809581/Mises%20U%20Torrent.torrent

Best wishes--

Matthew

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

No seeders for several days.  Please seed!!

Thanks,

Stephen

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I've had it available on my computer non-stop since I posted-- we just need more people beginning the download and it will pick up steam faster. I promise to keep it live on my end!

You should be able to access and download the file, even if it's only through me right now-- let me know if it doesn't work and I'll see about trying to fix it-- worked for me when I last tried it...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 4:17 PM

I couldn't download the torrent file a few days ago. It's working now and downloading. I'll see if it's not too intrusive to keep it up.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

Thanks.  I have been stuck at 1.8% for a couple of days.  I am showing 0 seeds and 19 peers.  I am uploading at 18kb/s but downloading at 0kb/s :-(

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

it's weird-- according to my uTorrent, i'm seeding, but it hasn't shown anyone using the file yet... I'm confused

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 4:36 PM

Mine downloaded briefly at 2.x MB/s (up to 296 MB total), then slowed to a halt. I probably downloaded from one of the other people who are stuck.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I have the full file available-- it just seems that it's not visible to you guys for some reason.

I'm not certain why it isn't working, but I'll see if I can post the fule at another torrent index site and give you a new link-- maybe that will help.

I'm on the job-- and apologies for starting this ball rolling too soon-- I thought I had it live for everyone....

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

No problem.  Thanks for the upload.  The good news is there are 18 people waiting to download!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Try this--

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/158557281/Mises?tab=summary

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I just had a friend use the above isohunt link, and it appears to work-- my file was showing upload, hers was showing download-- I think we may have gotten it worked out--but I want to wait to see if you guys can get it this way as well--

It doesn't appear that I can edit my original post to reflect the link change either-- that's unfortunate-- hopefully this one will be good and those interested will follow this thread down far enough to see the corrected location for download---

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525

I would help seed, but I can't spare the disk space for such a big torrent.

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

The new link is working!  Thank you!  I will also continue to seed.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Outstanding!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:45 PM

Thanks! iTunes U seems to be really slow for me, despite my speedy academic Internet connection, so I'll try your torrent :) .

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I've noticed several people are using the torrent-- keep it up!

The more people using and downloading this content, the faster and easier for all--

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 4:25 PM

mattthetalker:

I thought this would be a good way of spreading our message freely, further, and faster.
I arranged all information within the torrent exactly as it was downloaded from the beautifully-arranged Mises U that you have implemented on iTunes.
I thought this additional format of delivery would be handy for those that wanted to have everything (as of 3/4/10) in an organized mass download.
It weighs in at a staggering 15.9 GB of content-- 1500 files or so-- but this is what torrents specialize at transmitting-- spread across hundreds or more seeders/leechers, the whole of the data can be accessed rather quickly, and with just a one-click effort.
I think torrent file technology is a beautiful manifestation of libertarian ideals-- what better way to deliver the message of freedom and wisdom than this?
As you may know, the more people accessing and seeding the file, the faster it will be for everyone to get and use. Please distribute the following link at your discretion to all that you think might use it.
Once it's seeded well it should give all interested an even easier way to download these works -- I hope it meets your approval.

Please let me know if you have any difficulty--

Here is the link that should open your bit torrent client directly to the .torrent I made of everything:

http://www.torrentbox.com/download/809581/Mises%20U%20Torrent.torrent

Best wishes--

Matthew

This is awesome. Now that this content is available P2P, there's literally nothing TPTB can do to stop it from spreading.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:13 PM

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I'm glad to see so many people taking advantage of the torrent-- I have to point out that most of you are stopping your sharing as soon as you download what you like.

Please, if you are interested in spreading the wealth of this knowledge as best as we can, continue to share this after you get what you want from it-- even if it's only cherry-picked files/folders (which you can do, be the way-- there's no need to download or host the entire 16 GB like I am-- you can select/de-select whatever you like!

Just share something!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 24
Points 480
Juraj replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 3:22 PM

That link does not work in Opera.

Downloading and will be seeding.

Ta
Juraj

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

That's a HUGE torrent file. I'll download it and seed it for a while but I'll have to delete it eventually to make more room for other things.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 24
Points 480
Juraj replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:15 PM

Currently stopped at 2.30% (376 MB). Can someone provide the full file? I can easily seed it for some time.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Try this magnet URL:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:26XU7ZTKECWIM2E25L7IN4OB4DIA5TNZ

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525
Juraj:

Currently stopped at 2.30% (376 MB). Can someone provide the full file? I can easily seed it for some time.

You may want to make sure you use the second torrent link provided in the thread (the content is the same). Matt, maybe you should update the original post with that link instead.

By the way, I did eventually download it and have been seeding it for a few days now.

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Justin-- Thanks for seeding--I want to delete and replace the original link, but I see no way to edit a post--

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525
mattthetalker:

Justin-- Thanks for seeding--I want to delete and replace the original link, but I see no way to edit a post--

There should be an "Edit" action under the "More" button on your post.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

There isn't an option to edit-- checked that as soon as I posted the new link a few weeks ago--even mentioned it back then.

Maybe it is disabled until I have a certain post count? Open to suggestions--

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Bump/reminder

I've shared more than 250GB from my humble source-- It excites me to see the such tangible enthusiasm!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Sun, Nov 14 2010 6:20 PM

Put the torrent in just now, but didn't get any seeders. Maybe this should be promoted be the LvMI. matt, you should post this in the "how could mises.org be improved" thread, since such process as putting new files in a torrent can and should be automated.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 35
Points 520
K-Stigs replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 5:15 PM

I'm downloading the torrent right now. I'm currently at 27.8%. I will seed after it finishes.

Looks like a lot of good stuff that I will enjoy going through. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 6:59 PM

I only have 800GB of space on a RAID5 array to spare... :(

I SUPPOSE I can make space for 16GB. :p

downloading now.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Yessss!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

I stopped seeding when I moved.  Started seeding again today. Enjoy!  250GB seeded and still counting...

I agree that LvMI should officially support this.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Uh oh.

Microsoft security essentials says there is a trojan in file:\Mises U\Introduction to Microeconomics\1-14 Interest Rates and Course Revie.mp3

hmmm

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

I don't understand how that could be the case. These files were copied manually from iTunes U straight to a folder on my computer, and uploaded as a torrent.

They've been out there for a year-- I would've thought there would be a history of this were it a dangerous file.

Can anyone else scan the file in question with another virus scanner?

Perhaps it's just a false positive.

Please let us know-- I'll look myself when I get home.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 1:23 PM

Uh oh.

Microsoft security essentials says there is a trojan in file:\Mises U\Introduction to Microeconomics\1-14 Interest Rates and Course Revie.mp3

hmmm

Could also just be a false positive.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Giant_Joe:

Could also just be a false positive.

Meaning a boo boo on the anti virus proggy's part? How can we know ?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 135

Scanned all the files with Norton and found nothing:

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 35
Points 520
K-Stigs replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:24 PM

Thanks a lot for seeding. I will be sure to return the favor once I finish (65.5% now). I've actually already uploaded 20 gb. :p

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 38
Points 670

Glad everything is as it should be-- now let's jumpstart the world with these peaceful and powerful lessons :)

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS