Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

MAG and spontaneous order

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain Posted: Mon, Mar 8 2010 12:57 PM

I don't know how many gamers are on this forum but they those who are may have heard of a new game coming out called M.A.G. which is a PS3 military first person shooter. Now getting over the overt militarism in the game, MAG actually has a 256 multiplayer system. That means that 256 people are coordinating for a like minded goal playing from locations across the world without even meeting face to face. This is pretty amazing. Yes its a video game but its apart of mass culture. 

Dear Playstation: MAG Funny commercial

MAG website

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Aren't the MMORPG titles an even greater example of this (guilds can be huge, right)?

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445

Kind of a bad example because all actions in MAG are either set up by th computer or by the commander who I thought was chosen by the administrators.

I like Jackson's example much, much more.

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Jackson LaRose:
Aren't the MMORPG titles an even greater example of this (guilds can be huge, right)?

Good point. Things like World of Warcraft. Don't they have like 13 million users?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 2:18 PM

Yeah, anyone know if there are in-game businesses in some MMORPGs?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

AJ:

Yes.  Second Life has businesses, and its own currency, with a real, fluctuating exchange rate with the dollar.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

AJ:

'Second life isn't a game. It is a multi-user virtual environment' - Dwight Schrute

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Andrew Cain:
'Second life isn't a game. It is a multi-user virtual environment' - Dwight Schrute

LOL, touche...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:09 AM

Interesting. Are there user-created governments? If the modeling of certain aspects is realistic enough, it could provide some interesting case studies for economics and libertarianism. Particularly things like currency wars and central banking.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 10:07 AM

AJ:

Interesting. Are there user-created governments? If the modeling of certain aspects is realistic enough, it could provide some interesting case studies for economics and libertarianism. Particularly things like currency wars and central banking.

I used to play a game called bootleggers.us , mafia styled thing - online, role playing game.. 

The game developer was economically illiterate. Inflation was a constant problem... part of the reason is people would create new accounts just to do missions, so they could get easy money, then transfer it back to their main account.

More importantly though - Central bank - 5% interest rate. You put your savings locked away for 24hrs, 5% earned. lol, continue & repeat.

No time for games anymore.

Btw, that office clip is hilarious.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Conza88:
No time for games anymore.

Blasphemy!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 10:56 AM

Conza88:
The game developer was economically illiterate.

My brother who is wayyy into MMORPGs tells me that the economic system is the most important aspect of MMOs (but almost no developers do it right). Maybe there would be demand for some kind of Economics for Game Designers paper or book. A niche filled by Austrian economics, or praxeology-based ideas. If even one major game implemented the ideas, they would then spread (indirectly through experimentation and in-game trends) to the general population as MMOs get more sophisticated and realistic, to the point where the economic situations that unfold in the game start to give people insights into the real world. At last, that'd be cool.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

AJ:
My brother who is wayyy into MMORPGs tells me that the economic system is the most important aspect of MMOs (but almost no developers do it right). Maybe there would be demand for some kind of Economics for Game Designers paper or book. A niche filled by Austrian economics, or praxeology-based ideas. If even one major game implemented the ideas, they would then spread (indirectly through experimentation and in-game trends) to the general population as MMOs get more sophisticated and realistic, to the point where the economic situations that unfold in the game start to give people insights into the real world. At last, that'd be cool.

I can imagine it now. The WoW players complaining about how their blue epic broadsword was worth 150g yesterday but today it is only worth 85g.   

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Back in my advanced web projects class in high school, we would spontaneously order ourselves to play Tribes over the LAN. We would spontaneously combust once teacher caught one of us playing. Our teacher would ask why we weren't working on our projects. We would respond, "yo, we been finished with that like two weeks ago."

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS