Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Education - the goal of the libertarian?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 25
Points 585
Patrick Posted: Sat, Mar 13 2010 11:27 AM

I have had a thought the last several days.  It has concerned where myself as a libertarian should direct my energy as related to the outside world, particularly non-libertarians.  

I think now that the best thing I can do is try to spread the truth about the Austrian way of thinking.  I suppose what I am saying is that I am coming into agreement with the idea that the goal of the libertarian party or "purpose" is to educate.  

The thing that has been interesting is the reason why I think that way.  I believe that if we could somehow miraculously remove the government today another (or several) would move in and replace it.  I believe that this will be the case until the population (at least a substantial percentage) understands that they do not need a government.  And I think that once a critical mass of people (purposely being vague about how much is required for a "critical mass") understand the basic tenants of the libertarian philosophy and believes them, the days of the government will be numbered. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 11:31 AM

Impossible task imo.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 25
Points 585
Patrick replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 11:33 AM

I would at least agree to "nearly impossible."  :)  But if education is not the goal, what is?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 11:34 AM

I dunno, it's all about public policy for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Wolf:
I think now that the best thing I can do is try to spread the truth about the Austrian way of thinking.  I suppose what I am saying is that I am coming into agreement with the idea that the goal of the libertarian party or "purpose" is to educate.  

Totally agree. Even Adolph Hitler, who loved force and violence as we all know, once wrote that his ultimate power comes from public opinion.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 4:55 PM

Wolf:

I believe that if we could somehow miraculously remove the government today another (or several) would move in and replace it.  I believe that this will be the case until the population (at least a substantial percentage) understands that they do not need a government.  And I think that once a critical mass of people (purposely being vague about how much is required for a "critical mass") understand the basic tenants of the libertarian philosophy and believes them, the days of the government will be numbered.

In general, I agree with this. What I try to do is educate people around me any way I can. I've been thinking of giving the Free State Project a shoot and moving down there for at least a few months to see if I would enjoy living there. It would be tough as I don't know people out there, but I'm pretty good with adapting to new situations. I think NH is the place which is closest to reaching this "critical mass" if there is such a thing.

I'm not huge on history, but from what little I know about the development of political science through the centuries, it seems to me that society is slowly moving towards more freedom and liberty in the long run. I'm pretty excited about the spread of information on the Internet and what it can do for us as a civilization. I think it will help people to cast into doubt some of the things they believe or stand by, which will lead them to critical examination. If they have any respect or command of simple logic, they'll come over to the libertarian side. ;)

I'm just going to keep trying in the meantime.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:05 PM

bloomj31:

I dunno, it's all about public policy for me.

Impossible.

Freedom is NOT "public policy" - Lew Rockwell

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:07 PM

Conza88:

Impossible.

I guess I've achieved the impossible then.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:22 PM

Smiling Dave:

Wolf:

Totally agree. Even Adolph Hitler, who loved force and violence as we all know, once wrote that his ultimate power comes from public opinion.

I guess the question then becomes, what consists the public?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:33 PM

bloomj31:

Conza88:

Impossible.

I guess I've achieved the impossible then.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:35 PM

lmao

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:58 PM

Just what I thought.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 25
Points 585
Patrick replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 2:22 PM

This thread kind of went a different direction than I hoped.  It's because I put those last lines in the opening post about how if people did "understand" than the government would basically disappear.  I feel that piece of conjecture is just that, conjecture.  What I'm really interested in is people's response to this part:

"I believe that if we could somehow miraculously remove the government today another (or several) would move in and replace it.  I believe that this will be the case until the population (at least a substantial percentage) understands that they do not need a government."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Wolf:

This thread kind of went a different direction than I hoped.  It's because I put those last lines in the opening post about how if people did "understand" than the government would basically disappear.  I feel that piece of conjecture is just that, conjecture.  What I'm really interested in is people's response to this part:

"I believe that if we could somehow miraculously remove the government today another (or several) would move in and replace it.  I believe that this will be the case until the population (at least a substantial percentage) understands that they do not need a government."

I totally agree. After all, if the causes for govt have not gone away, those causes will recreate it again. What are the causes? That people think it's needed.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 2:35 PM

Wolf:

Exploitation depends on ideology. Overthrow the ideology, and then exploitation goes along with it. The reality is that a government -- and the people doing the dirty work required for the exploitation: the police and the military -- are totally and completely outnumbered by the rest of society. So when people stop believing in aggression as a solution to social problems then it's the end of government.

Hans Hoppe talks about this if you're interested. Don't know which one exactly; you'd have to search the Media section.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS