Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Best Economics University?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Jon T. Posted: Sun, Mar 14 2010 12:28 PM

I am a post professional with a degree in aeronautics and am now at a crossroads in my life after finishing ten years in the military.  I would like to get a second degree in economics but am unsure which universities are best suited to the task.  My previous experiences with economics classes were less than desirable and usually ended in an argument between the professor and me.

Unfortunately I am somewhat limited in the location of said university but am certainly willing to partake in a distance learning program if available.  Being that I am currently located in the Los Angeles area, which college/university would you recommend I attend?

Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Here are the top econ programs ranked by U.S. News and World Report:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-economics-schools/rankings

If I were you, I would go to UCLA. It is a good school, it's local, and it should be cheaper than a private school. I doubt that they have any Austrian faculty, but it may still be the best choice for you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Jon T.:

I am a post professional with a degree in aeronautics and am now at a crossroads in my life after finishing ten years in the military.  I would like to get a second degree in economics but am unsure which universities are best suited to the task.  My previous experiences with economics classes were less than desirable and usually ended in an argument between the professor and me.

Unfortunately I am somewhat limited in the location of said university but am certainly willing to partake in a distance learning program if available.  Being that I am currently located in the Los Angeles area, which college/university would you recommend I attend?

Thanks!

UCLA sounds like your best bet. I think Armen Alchian still teaches there.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 23
Points 280

Hi Jon,

If, like me, you're interested in studying Austrian economics but aren't worried about the tenure track afterward, and if you're interested in distance learning, you might consider Swiss Management Center, which has a new PhD in Economics that can be done entirely online.  SMC's economics faculty members seem to be pretty heavily into the Austrian stuff.  The program/school wouldn't be right for everyone, though, particularly those who'd be interested in full time tenure track faculty positions at American universities.

Anyway, I wasn't planning for my first post here to be an ad, but I'm fairly new to Austrian economics myself, so I suppose so far that's what I have to offer!

-=Steve=-

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Note that there is only reason to attend university economics classes for professional goals.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Jon T. replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 1:20 AM

As an update, I have been in contact with Walter Block who has some very great recommendations.  Apparently you would first get a masters degree at Detroit Mercy which has an Austo-friendly environment and then a PhD in conjunction between St. Angers in France and Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Spain.  I will also check more into the SMC program suggested by Steve (thanks Steve!) and report back shortly.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:52 AM

Easily; The Mises Academy Cool

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:56 AM

Conza88:

Did you join?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Jon T. replied on Mon, May 3 2010 12:04 PM

I am currently taking the ABCT course with Prof. Murphy.  The problem with this route is the lack of accreditation and degree upon completion.  It is certainly great to simply increase your knowledge base, which is my purpose of taking the class, but there is not really any outside recognition of these classes.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS