Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The most sustainable State ever?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2010 7:56 AM

Reading this LRC article, this interesting remark caught my eye. Speaking of advices for a potentially independent Vermont, the author writes: “Unabashedly embrace the socio-economic, political model of Switzerland, the most sustainable nation-state of all time.”

So, what do you think, is indeed Switzerland the most sustainable state ever? Has decentralization worked well there? Would total decentralization (allowing any group of, say, 10’000 voters to for a canton and allowing individual cantons to opt out from any federal program) produce a stable State?

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:40 AM

I would say that Vatican City is the most sustainable, although it's relatively young.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Vermont's secession might work. Why would America as a whole care about one mountain country?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:49 AM

Mtn Dew:

I would say that Vatican City is the most sustainable, although it's relatively young.

I’d agree with one important divergence: the Vatican is not a country, it’s a private firm. As such, it shall remain viable as long as the market for its (spiritual) services resist.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:05 AM

Why don't you consider it a country?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:29 AM

Mtn Dew:

Why don't you consider it a country?

The Vatican would seem to me just a firm which imposes condition on people entering its property. No taxation, no NAP-violation whatsoever (although the ‘justness” of the origin of its property could easily be questioned). The same holds for the Order of the Knights of Malta. Such entities are just sovereign property-holders in a world of States, such as we all should be.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:28 AM

Merlin:

“Unabashedly embrace the socio-economic, political model of Switzerland, the most sustainable nation-state of all time.”

Green totalitarianism?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:49 AM

Is taxation the definition of a state? I think the Vatican is indeed a state. In fact, I think it's the model every other state should follow.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 518
Points 9,355

Mtn Dew:

Young? The Vatican City State is the rump state remnant of the Papal States, which dates to the 8th century AD.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

But let's be honest here, Switzerland is really quite boring. 

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:57 AM

My understanding is that, technically, Vatican City is a a new state separate from the Papal States of the middle ages. So 1929 would be the year it was created.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 3:40 PM

Boring? Man, the chick you meet at the bar probably shoots a 5.56 military-grade AR much better that we play CoD6. Not exactly my definition of boring Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 3:54 PM

Try not stopping your engine at red light.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,275
Arvin replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 5:05 PM

The Ice Cream is far too expensive in Switzerland, I would not want to live there. Maybe that's why it is so stable? Because people who make a fuss will not move there because the ice cream is too expensive? Yeah, probably it.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 518
Points 9,355

Mtn Dew:

My understanding is that, technically, Vatican City is a a new state separate from the Papal States of the middle ages. So 1929 would be the year it was created.

In preparation for the treaty with the Kingdom of Italy, Pius XI renounced the old land claims from the Papal States.  Aside from that, the governance is unchanged (with the exception of actual coded law dating from 1917 instead of organic law). The Pope is still an absolute monarch, as he was dating from the end of Frankish rule over the State.  And it wasnt merely a long ago middle ages state; the Papal States were annexed by Italy in 1870, within living memory of Pius XI.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS