Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The black market is the answer to Big Government

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 65
Willakent Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:04 AM

The Black Market is to the "Legal" Economy as Defending your Rights is to Paying a Shakedown Man.

A common misconception is that the Underground Economy or "Black Market" is a market for stolen goods. More often than not, this is not the case. Usually exchanges of certain goods and services that have been deemed "illegal" by the most powerful gang in the area, the State, must be done behind closed doors. In some cases otherwise legal transactions are kept from the prying eyes of the taxman in order for the participants to not have to pay the tribute the thieves demand.

The government demands a cut of all market transactions. It further distorts the market by "regulating" it to such a degree that the world is dramatically altered from what it otherwise would be.

In a world where people are free to only deal with others voluntarily, exchanging with one another all of their values as they see fit, man will flourish beyond anyone's expectations. Spread the word- the Black Market is Society qua Human Interaction.

http://www.cafepress.com/themarketisfree

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:35 PM

Yes, the black market is the enemy of the central state.  More importantly, the black market is the only hope for the poor to get products and services without interference by government.  Now you have to understand that government has been remarkably successful at its propaganda campaign against black markets and other free activities.  In the near future the central govenrment (The president) will devote large portions of the intelligence/law enforcement/military bureaucracies to stop the black market in providing health care products and services.

You will see lots of people going out of the USA to get medical devices and drugs and the procedures themselves.  There will be stringent controls on the boarder and Uncle Sam will be watching you.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 5

The problem with the black market in health care is that it's often difficult for the provider (nurse, doctor, surgeon) to be on board with the transaction.

One early form of this type of transaction would be a procedure or even an evaluation that is done "off the radar". In other words, insurance companies and/or government actors know nothing about it because no official record is kept. Of course this happens all the time in an informal way ("Hey, Steve, take a look at this mole - I know you're on vacation and all, but…").

Just like in the "normal" doctor-patient relationship, a black market relationship will involve extraordinary trust and discretion.

PL

www.patientliberty.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 940
mahsah replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:47 PM

Isn't this pretty much Agorism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agorism

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Of which many arduents make the same mistake of assuming the black market is inherently anti-state.  It's not.  

It may be useful in the context of anti-state localist economies in an age of statist mercantile globalism, but I'm going to somehow doubt the black market would eventually overtake the main economies (pink, white & red) unless things were severley bad enough (i.e. Soviet Russia, where the black market helped sustain a living standard outside of the law).   

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 6:24 PM

Of which many arduents make the same mistake of assuming the black market is inherently anti-state.  It's not.  

It may be useful in the context of anti-state localist economies in an age of statist mercantile globalism, but I'm going to somehow doubt the black market would eventually overtake the main economies (pink, white & red) unless things were severley bad enough (i.e. Soviet Russia, where the black market helped sustain a living standard outside of the law).

Correct, a black market is not inherently anti-state.  More importantly major black markets are going to be inherently dangerous, with shady lines of credit.  There is no sane reason to seek out a black market unless you know exactly what you are doing, and it is a natural outgrowth of your consumer needs.

Also, there is no evidence that a black market is an effective way to bring down government via political activism in the current environment of Western counties. a massive black market will most likely arise in mass only in already extremely dire conditions. 

That being said, if you want to say don't feel bad morally about buying or selling in a black market, that is fine.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS