Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Social Entrepreneurship

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Mon, Apr 5 2010 8:25 PM

What say you of social entrepreneurship?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Just a feel good way of making money for commies. (;

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 67
Points 1,205
AndrewR replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 3:06 AM

'Social Entrepreneurship' was a popular new module at my university and, like Kaju says, nothing more than a feel-good buzzword for commies. Profit isn't everything, you know! Enslavmen… er, 'responsibility' to the community is much more important. I think Naomi Klein was on the reading list, too.

It was encouraging people to become charitable organisations as opposed to profit seeking business ventures, essentially – and thoroughly demonising the latter.

Just another day at your average business school, I suppose.

Ludwig von Mises: "We must see conditions as they really are, not as we want them to be."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 4:12 AM

You don't need to feel fussy, warm, nice, and not greedy to help people. You just help people, for profit and fun.

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

From what I gather, social entrepreneurship attempts to solve government-created problems, while blaming said problems on the market.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:43 AM

Daniel Muffinburg:

From what I gather, social entrepreneurship attempts to solve government-created problems, while blaming said problems on the market.

Wow, that's a new tacticSmile

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 8:10 AM

From Wikipedia:

Social entrepreneurship is the work of a social entrepreneur. A social entrepreneur is someone who recognizes a social problem and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create, and manage a venture to make social change. Whereas a business entrepreneur typically measures performance in profit and return, a social entrepreneur focuses on creating social capital. Thus, the main aim of social entrepreneurship is to further social and environmental goals. However, whilst social entrepreneurs are most commonly associated with the voluntary and not-for-profit sectors, this need not necessarily be incompatible with making a profit.

Last time I checked, consumers express what they value through their choices in trading. If you make a profit (using voluntary means) you are by definition being socially beneficial.

Conclusion: 'social entrepreneurship' is a load of dung.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Here's this from Stanford University's Graduate School of Business' Executive Program in Social Entrepreneurship's homepage:

Social entrepreneurship is a phenomenon that has captivated the public, the media, activists, philanthropists, and social change agents alike. Around the world, social entrepreneurs are revolutionizing our approaches to problems like education, the environment, poverty, healthcare, and social justice.

There's no free market in education, the environment, poverty, healthcare, nor social justice.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 12:13 PM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Here's this from Stanford University's Graduate School of Business' Executive Program in Social Entrepreneurship's homepage:

Social entrepreneurship is a phenomenon that has captivated the public, the media, activists, philanthropists, and social change agents alike. Around the world, social entrepreneurs are revolutionizing our approaches to problems like education, the environment, poverty, healthcare, and social justice.

There's no free market in education, the environment, poverty, healthcare, nor social justice.

That's why it's been captivated (held captive).

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635

Nielsio:

Last time I checked, consumers express what they value through their choices in trading. If you make a profit (using voluntary means) you are by definition being socially beneficial.

Conclusion: 'social entrepreneurship' is a load of dung.

Tell that to the average person and they'll have you hanged.

The point isn't that private businesses that profit without resorting to fraud, theft or violence. The point is that their primary motivation isn't about "caring"

These social entrepreneurs provide "social capital" and go under pretty quickly without government aid. Most people will damn the evil nature of humankind and the market. I think it's because they fail to realize why the company failed. It failed because it didn't effectively meet the most pressing needs of people, which was the goal of social entrepreneurship in the first place! The "social capital" they strive for is better provided by the ethical private firms that are largely interested in profit!

I guess it comes from the fallacy that businesses don't provide anything and that they just seek to produce profit. How to come across profit without producing anything, I don't know. I'll let the non-economists explain that to me.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

Social entrepreneurship is fine as long as their is no coercion or aggression involved.  Profit goes beyond financial gain.  IIRC, the term Mises uses is psychic profit.  So doing things for the benefit of other people because doing so provides satisfaction to you will suffice. 

By the same token, it would be extremely difficult to be a successful social entrepreneur if their were no financial gain.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS