Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Myth That Is Falling Real Wages

This post has 153 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju Posted: Thu, Apr 8 2010 6:07 PM

Commies and other wacko leftists often like to claim that real wages are falling in the United States, and that this fall is due to "free markets." Theoretically, of course, this claim is bunk (if firms are profit-maximizing, then they will continually seek to expand production through greater investment, which will in turn increase real wages). Here is the empirical data to whack such pinko Marxist claims on the head with:

The above shows total real compensation per hour. In other words, it's compensation (wages + benefits) that workers receive per hour, not just wages.

This one could be a good one to throw at unions such as the UAW. Real compensation for the manufacturing sector has increased by 25% since the mid 90s.

Although the price of eggs doesn't tell us much by itself, it does indicate that productivity increases have made life-necessities like food much more affordable to the average person.

Few people will argue that Americans ate more per capita in 1929 than today. This graph shows that the food has become progressively cheaper to the American worker as a result of capitalism.

Further proof that the necessities of life have become cheaper in the United States as a result of productivity increases and capitalism.

The above is fun to throw at people who post the now infamous "falling real wages" graph.

Though not very useful by itself, this data is a pertinent reminder of how new technology has not only vastly increased living standards in a way that's immeasurable, but also how new technology has become increasingly affordable over the decades.

If Americans are becoming poorer, then why are they better able to afford day-to-day products?

This puts the "falling real wages" argument in perspective.

All of these graphs have been culled from Dr. Perry's blog at http://mjperry.blogspot.com.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 49
Points 860

Commies and other wacko leftists...

More like your run-of-the-mill Economics illiterates.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Old Mexican:

Commies and other wacko leftists...

More like your run-of-the-mill Economics illiterates.

That's basically a tautology.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

So this means that capitalism is out-competing inflation.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 7,875

wilderness:

So this means that capitalism is out-competing inflation  government.

Fix'd

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 10:07 PM

awesome thread. Bookmarked :)

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:48 PM

This was worthy of a Facebook repost.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 3:13 AM

i dont know about pinkos claiming such.  unless you use the pinko to have various meanings.

a mises video claimed that living standards were falling and savers were harmed by the current money system. 

maybe they were lying?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 3:16 AM

would living standards be greater with a different type of money...wages and compensation in gold and silver???  i havent been able to find that yet.

though often in my experience,  compensation in benefit form seemed to decline in quality.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

cret:
a mises video claimed that living standards were falling and savers were harmed by the current money system. 

I have heard Stefan Molyneux make a similar argument in  video. He points out falling standards of living in the U.S. since the 50-60's and blames it on the Fed's massive increasing of the money supply. I have been meaning to make a thread about this argument in order to get thoughts from people better versed in economics than Stef.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

OP: Couldn't a statist simply counter that those improvements in the standard of living occurred under a mixed economy, and so one should praise the mixed economy, not necessarily freedom? For example, there are farm subsidies, housing subsidies, etc. While we may understand that these gains are made despite government interference, people who are more ignorant of economics may see it as the opposite.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:22 AM

Here's what you do: first ask them whether or not we're a (mostly) free economy. If they say yes, show them the above post. If they say no ask them if they think things could be better, if they say no show them the graph demonstrating an increased standard of living. If they say no, we're not a free economy and that things could be better hand them a copy of Man, Economy and State.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:01 AM

Cal:
For example, there are farm subsidies
Food prices spike when FDR is in office. Wonder what could have done that...

Cal:
While we may understand that these gains are made despite government interference, people who are more ignorant of economics may see it as the opposite.
If the prosperity theory of government is true, there ought to be more prosperity with more government.

You can see that prices fall their fastest up until 1940.

Even if they think government can bring prosperity, they have to at least admit that the free market does too.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Thanks for the compliments. (:

cret:
i dont know about pinkos claiming such.  unless you use the pinko to have various meanings.

Trust me, they do. If you don't believe me, come to Detroit and we'll confront some of the Trotskyites (yes, that was purposeful) around here.

cret:

I remember watching that Mises video on youtube. Real wages have fallen and savers are harmed by the current monetary system. But if you look at things like real compensation and how many hours one must work to purchase basic necessities of life as well as household appliances,  you'll find that living standards on the whole have risen. The reason for this is that the monetary system itself is just one factor in the whole economy. Our markets here in America are stronger than the inflationary forces the Fed creates.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Cal:
OP: Couldn't a statist simply counter that those improvements in the standard of living occurred under a mixed economy, and so one should praise the mixed economy, not necessarily freedom? For example, there are farm subsidies, housing subsidies, etc. While we may understand that these gains are made despite government interference, people who are more ignorant of economics may see it as the opposite.

If a statist makes such a claim, then ask him/her how he/she thinks housing subsidies have lowered the price of household appliances relative to real wages.

Basically, you're saying that the statist claims:
1. Government subsidizes x, y, and z.
2. ???
3. Goods a-z become more affordable.

Ultimately, like almost every argument made regarding economics, you have to fall back on theory. And theoretically speaking, there's no way that the statist could show that food subsidies (which mostly restrict food supply and subsidize only a small percentage of food crops) could consistently increase the affordability of food over the decades. On the other hand, there is a clear theoretical reason why capitalism can achieve increased affordability of goods and services: each business is profit motivated, so it invests in new capital equipment and technology in order to increase productivity (and thereby increase profits), which increases the amount of goods and services produced per capita, which makes said goods and services more affordable per person.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 10:16 AM

Great analysis.  Thank you.  Very illuminating.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

LvMIenthusiast:
wilderness:

So this means that capitalism is out-competing inflation  government.

Fix'd

niceYes

You know that says a lot!  I mean a lot!  That's packed full of information.  No lie.Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 238
Points 3,960
Cork replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 2:08 PM

Finally a decent answer to the "stagnating wages" conundrum.  I've been waiting for someone to address this one for a long time.

Marxists pwned, yet again.  Good job!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

How does this fit in with Hoppe saying in the Democracy TGTFailed that the U.S. has been degenerating economically ever since WW1 with only one upspike in the 1950's?  I don't have my book as somebody is borrowing it but I can't remember what word he used exactly to described the economic degeneration.  Whether the word was wealth or standard of living or something else.  Anybody remember that part in the book or could it explain what he was getting at in light of the OP here?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

anybody? ^^^^^

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

It's possible Hoppe was just plain wrong. Many people fall into the trap of saying "oh, well in the good ole days..." when the "good ole days" really were everyone worked at relatively low-paid and labor-intensive manufacturing jobs the way many people in the third world work today.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 265
Points 6,985
Benjamin replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 10:57 AM
Food and clothing has gotten cheaper in real dollars, but the cost of education, health care and housing have all increased faster than compensation increases. Plus, what does "wages and benefits" even mean? If I'm forced to pay a part of my paycheck to get a Cadillac health care plan I don't want and never use, does that mean my compensation has gone up? It would seem to me that it's gone down... A lot of "compensation increases" seem to me to be corrupt back-scratching between the dictatorial managements of privately owned corporate entities.
Not Ranked
Posts 100
Points 2,455
ChroMattic replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 11:00 AM
Funny how "education", "health care", and "housing" are all things that the government is extensively involved in, no?

"It has been well said that, while we used to suffer from social evils, we now suffer from the remedies for them."

F.A. Hayek, The Constitution of Liberty

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 265
Points 6,985
Benjamin replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 11:10 AM
"Funny how "education", "health care", and "housing" are all things that the government is extensively involved in, no?" Well, government has to keep the health care and education industries happy. More than anything else they have to keep the housing industry happy, because the housing sector dominates the asset side of the balance sheets of the banking industry. And the banking industry in turn controls the Federal Reserve, which in turn controls the U.S. economy.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Actually, Benjamin, if you actually look at the graphs I posted (in other words, if you don't just spout out your left-wing talking points and actually look at the facts), then you'll discover that housing and food costs have fallen. In contrast, medical care and education are heavily regulated and subsidized by government. The result is low supply and high demand. Such amazing interventionist failures should not be surprising.

That said, I agree that it totally sucks that sometimes you don't want health insurance or pensions or other benefits but get them anyway. For that, you can thank unions and government for structuring tax incentives and labor regulations in such a way that it becomes more profitable for businesses to provide you with health insurance or pensions instead of just giving you the money via higher wages.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:38 PM

is  an older and more injury -sickness prone population growing faster then medical technology that can reduce health care costs?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:39 PM

well...there is the usda, and lables on  textiles, consumer product safty commission, etc.  i dont know the effects of those bureaus though.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

How do they come up with falling wages?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Sun, Apr 25 2010 3:25 AM
do they mean by falling real wages , wages that are decreasing realative to some purchasing index?? where some basket of goods is creeping higher than wage increases??? thats what i took it as. "Commies and other wacko leftists often like to claim that real wages are falling in the United States,...." whether the poster is being genuine is his statement that pinkos are claiming this i dont know....what numbers or data the pinkos are using , iow.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Mon, Apr 26 2010 3:57 AM

A very encouraging post, my only question is exactly how are real wages calculated and is that figure 100% accurate?

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Mon, Apr 26 2010 4:00 AM

My mistake, I wrote wages but I mean prices in general, as in how can you exactly compare the price of 1905 apples with 1990 apples.  Can we be certain that this measurement is accurate? 

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
Simply not accurate: Percentage Change in Real Median Household Income, by Decade Incomes are adjusted for household size and then scaled to reflect a three-person household http://pewsocialtrends.org/pubs/?chartid=533 Further averages don't tell the story when the income distribution changes. Those in the top most income groups saw rapid growth in real income. Those in lower income groups saw losses in real income. Yes, not everyone understands economics. Including many of the self congratulatory people posting on this thread.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Directly contradicted by the facts:

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Does "income" include benefits in the study you posted?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 150
Points 3,410

Not bad charts at all. But I have a source that contradicts our rising standards of living:

http://www.waronthemiddleclass.com/GovernmentDebtReport.htm

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ABinNYC replied on Thu, May 6 2010 9:11 AM

Yeah, because only an Economics Illiterate would fail to include the average number of wage earners and average household size in a chart illustrating median income per house hold member. Because it's not like having the number of wager earners going up steadily over the time period covered in the chart would skew that data. Oh, wait, of course the median income per household member would go up steadily during a time period where the median household goes from being a one income family to being a two income family. Add to that the decreasing size of the average family (lowering the number of household member to divide that income by) and of course the chart will appear to show a steady increase, in spite of stagnate or slowly declining real wage. 

There is a similar problem with the wages+compensation charts,  failing to include what percentage of that  "compensation" is actually going to things like health insurance  paints a misleading picture. According to the "compensation" model  I have received  over $100,000 in healthcare coverage in the last decade, Wow, so my two physicals have cost over $50,000 each. I'd rather have the cash, because "compensation"  doesn't let me afford a home in decent school district.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 49
Points 860

<blockquote>Add to that the decreasing size of the average family (lowering the number of household member to divide that income by) and of course the chart will appear to show a steady increase, in spite of stagnate or slowly declining real wage. </blockquote>

The chart above shows median appliance ownership, not real wages. What it shows is that the purchasing power of people's wages have actually increased for those products that are not heavily regulated by the State.

<blockquote>According to the "compensation" model  I have received  over $100,000 in healthcare coverage in the last decade, Wow, so my two physicals have cost over $50,000 each. I'd rather have the cash, because "compensation"  doesn't let me afford a home in decent school district.</blockquote>

It means you did not have to spend that money yourself, that's all. If you prefer the cash, change the way you work - become a contractor. Well, except that now everybody will be made at bayonet point to buy health care insurance but that's what happens when one loves the State more than oneself.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

To add on to what Old Mexican said, if you have a problem with non-monetary compensation, take it up with the government and unions which subsidize and mandate such non-monetary compensation like health insurance.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 1,730
cret replied on Thu, May 6 2010 1:39 PM

"for more than 20 years the living standards of middle class americans have steadily declined, incomes have remained flat or fallen and  the opportunities and security we once took for granted have began to fade.  for most families on income no longer pays the bills, it requires two or more incomes to afford a home, pay medical and child expenses, and put children through school.  unless present trends change young workers are unlikely to live as well as their parents.  good jobs with a future are harder and harder to come by, education doesnt count for what it once did, taxes continue to rise while social security is going bankrupt, private pensions are NO LONGER relaible, economic volatility and uncertainty are on teh rise,

politicians espouse nyumerous theories about teh cause the cause of these economic woes, seldom however do these officlas look below the surface, the roots of our economic ill can be traced t ocentral banking and our present monetary system"

is this message drastically differnt than teh alleged pinkos and mysterious real wage declines???  does teh above message use govt data different than the pinkos???

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 55
Points 820
Justin replied on Sun, May 9 2010 8:53 PM

Don't quote me on this, but on LRC I think either Peter Schiff or Gary North had written an article outlining how the standard of living had increased in spite of further government regulation.  Basically, a free market is hard to put down all at once and while some parts of it still thrive then the standard of living could still increase, just not to quite the same degree it would in a complete free market system.

• | Post Points: 45
Page 1 of 4 (154 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS