Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Slavery in America

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
89 Posts
Points 1,840
fancyshirtman posted on Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:27 AM

Well I've been thinking a lot about slavery and reading a bit of William Lloyd Garrison and I guess I have a couple of questions about it.

Firstly how did African slavery come about in America? Did it arise through state power or did it people just start doing it? Did the southern states protect the slave owners? I know there were fugitive laws, but were there any other laws that kept the blacks enslaved? If the slave trade did occur outside Government operations how could such a mockery of liberty happen within the market?  

I realise the civil war was a brutal way to end slavery, but what were the libertarian solutions to the problem?

Thanks guys.

"No person is so grand or wise or perfect as to be the master of another person." ~ Karl Hess

"look, property is theft, right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine, OK?" ~Zaphod Beeblebrox

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:33 AM
In high school we all learned about the fugitive slave acts. They told us that it pissed off northern abolitionists. This is only a minor aspect of it. If you look at the collapse of slavery in Brazil, a small state named Ceara (accent missing), outlawed slavery. Soon, slaves began escaping to Ceara as a "safe zone". Slaves from neighboring states began escaping en masse, and soon slavery in all of brazil became uneconomic. The lesson is that if there are douchebag states who think slavery is cool, just open up a safe zone as close to them as possible and you'll ruin their party. I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but its something I usually point out to people.
Banned
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
342 Posts
Points 7,875

fancyshirtman:

Well I've been thinking a lot about slavery and reading a bit of William Lloyd Garrison and I guess I have a couple of questions about it.

Firstly how did African slavery come about in America? Did it arise through state power or did it people just start doing it? Did the southern states protect the slave owners? I know there were fugitive laws, but were there any other laws that kept the blacks enslaved? If the slave trade did occur outside Government operations how could such a mockery of liberty happen within the market?  

I realise the civil war was a brutal way to end slavery, but what were the libertarian solutions to the problem?

Thanks guys.

I know you are clearly not advocating this, but the civil war was a brutal war and these few points should be focused on when dealing with a statist. 

1. Conscription is nothing more than mass enslavement, so don't you think it's ironic that we utilized mass enslavement to "free" the slaves.

2. Lincoln is nothing more than a tyrant glorified by the state. Look at how all the history teachers and textbooks politely gloss over his horrendous actions.

3. The idea of a "perpetual union" is nonsense, individual states should be allowed to secede if they wish (hopefully one day we see this come to fruition)

4.  African Americans were still terribly mistreated (by the state) for over a hundred years after the fact. So much for the bloody and harrowing civil war.

5. War is never just and it should only come about when rebeling against an opressive government like the Revolutionary War. Even then, it pays to be peaceful, if possible.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
89 Posts
Points 1,840

Thanks for those strong points against the civil war LvMIenthusiast. Those will deffinently come in handy.

"No person is so grand or wise or perfect as to be the master of another person." ~ Karl Hess

"look, property is theft, right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine, OK?" ~Zaphod Beeblebrox

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 5,580

Some have argued (perhaps Rothbard?) that property laws in the colonies  may have contributed to the widespread use of slave labor.  Land distribution in the early-mid seventeenth century was largely feudal, with larger tracts being bestowed on favored individuals.  Primogeniture laws prevented these large estates from being divied up among heirs, so large properties were passed down from generation to generation.  On a small farm, a few indentures servants or slaves will suffice, but to farm large tracts more labor is needed, so slavery becomes more profitable at that point.

Once this system became entrenched, laws were enacted to protect it.  The argument thus leads to the conclusion that, had free homesteading occurred in the South there could not have emerged the large tracts of land which relied on slave labor.  This is not to say there would have been no slavery, just that there would have been less of it, and probably very little opposition to its abolition.

Not saying I agree necessarily, but that is one explanation I've heard. 

Top 500 Contributor
342 Posts
Points 7,875
fancyshirtman:

Thanks for those strong points against the civil war LvMIenthusiast. Those will deffinently come in handy.

These are just a few, select talking points that I concentrate on when conversing with laymen. I would definitely expand and stack up more arguments, because you never know who you're going up against. I would read more on this subject by Rothbard, Woods Jr., and DiLorenzo. While many if not all of these people are wrong in arguing in favor of the civil war, some of them are intellectual giants and can unfortunately embarrass any dissenting perspective. So, I would recommend that you hit the books in the meantime.
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 55
The British had firmly entrenched the American economy and culture with slavery.
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 3:44 PM

fancyshirtman:

Firstly how did African slavery come about in America?

Indians were dropping dead of disease like flies so they didn't make for good slaves. 

It is not like you had a situation where there was no slavery, but then it suddenly appeared. You had for the whole time a culture where slavery was accepted so it was natural to introduce it where it made sense, eg the sugar cane plantations in the Indies.

fancyshirtman:

If the slave trade did occur outside Government operations how could such a mockery of liberty happen within the market?

What do you mean within the market? Enslavement is a coercive action, not a market action.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS