Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Was Tim McVeigh really a libertarian?

This post has 54 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Simon Lote:

An action may be moral but not wise and yes I agree anyone today advocating fighting a one-man guerilla war against the state is a fool or an FBI agent. I am certainly not advocating anyone going out and committing illegal acts.

However, I don't share your view that armed struggle always leads to victory for the state as there have been numerous countries that have secured their independence through exactly those means - America included.

Secondly I do not share the view that the state can be persuaded to go quietly into that good night rather it will require a highly organised and dedicated minority to overthrow it.

"However, I don't share your view that armed struggle always leads to victory for the state as there have been numerous countries that have secured their independence through exactly those means - America included."

In the end, as elsewhere, all that the American revolution accomplished was to throw of one group of oppressors and replace it with another [some might even argue that the replacement was in fact just the original oppressor, i.e. the British Empire, disguised- but that's a whole other can of worms]. 

"Secondly I do not share the view that the state can be persuaded to go quietly into that good night rather it will require a highly organised and dedicated minority to overthrow it."

I never meant to appear to suggest that it could, or would, "go quietly into that good night". And what do you have in mind for this imaginary " highly organised and dedicated minority" to replace the state with, once it /they have overthrown it? Let me guess- another, albeit "new" [but somehow better] state apparatus, right?

Regards, onebornfree.

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:24 PM

Onebornfree drawing clonclusions he wants to draw from pictures of destroyed buildings? Never heard of!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,600

He used force. So he was not libertarian.

Not offices and bureaucrats, but big business deserves credit for the fact that most of the families in the United States own a motorcar and a radio set.Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:42 PM

He was not not a libertarian because he used forced. He was not libertarian because he murdered.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 5:37 AM

Blowing up children tends to violate the NAP.

He most likely would have claimed that the state did violate the NAP first and that the kids in the creche at the state building were just collateral damage. 

Still a bit odd I think. But that's because I don't follow his method to resolve the issue. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

al gore the idiot:

On the fifteenth anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, this is one thing I was curious about. McVeigh identified himself as a libertarian. He voted for Harry Browne while in prison back in 96. He was firercely anti-government as seen by the bombing of a federal building and revenge against Waco and Ruby Ridge incident.

He could be a libertatian, except for the fact that OKC was an inside job and this McVeigh dude was a decoy.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history" - Dwight Schrute
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:48 AM

He could be a libertatian, except for the fact that OKC was an inside job and this McVeigh dude was a decoy.

What is the evidence for that statement. Wasn't he just a single disgruntled perpetrator? 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

Do you think that if I had any hard evidence for such a fact I would be talking about it in an internet forum?

But I'm inclined towards the conspiracy theory view of the case.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

If you ask a liberal, then yes. But so is Hitler.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 9:02 AM

If you ask a liberal, then yes. But so is Hitler.

That was quick. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Do you have even a hint of evidence that backs up your theory?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

That was quick.

Well for people who consider fascism to be a species of capitalism, it isn't an illogical conclusion to drift towards.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

You can certainly act outside of your belief set.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

Al_Gore the Idiot:

Do you have even a hint of evidence that backs up your theory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMuo-oSk7aQ

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:28 AM

Well for people who consider fascism to be a species of capitalism, it isn't an illogical conclusion to drift towards.

I think it was the Marxist-Leninist tag line since the 1930s. "Fascism" is the last stage of "Capitalism".

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3234092?uid=3739368&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21101513387261

http://www.dkrenton.co.uk/old/old3.html

Page 2 of 2 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS