Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Inflation v. Unemployment "tradeoff" and Minimum Wage/Unions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 940
mahsah Posted: Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:25 PM

Hello, I'm still a bit new to economics but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or comments about this question/idea:

According to the Phillips Curve, there is an inverse relationship relationship between Unemployment and Inflation. I had a somewhat crazy thought of what could explain this: What if this was because of the minimum wage and/or Unions (or any other coersion causing wages higher than the equilibrium).

For example, lets say that in a free market the equilibrium price for labor is $3.5, but the minimum wage is $7. The government doubles the money supply, but the minimum wage or wages set by union contracts do not rise immediately. Thus, the equilibrium price for labor would rise to $7 because the dollar is worth less, and the price floor would become nonbinding for many firms. As a result of this the firms would be able to hire more people, decreasing unemployment. Inflation in this case acts as a counter to minimum wage.

Anyway, I appreciate comments and/or flames about this idea, I just came up with it on a whim today :)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

I like it.

BTW there is a video here somewhere showing how the phillips curve is closer to voodoo than economics.  Maybe someone remembers which it is. Its by a young economist.

And of course we had stagflation under Nixon.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Meanwhile, the price ceilings on products, such as rental housing, makes them continuously less profitable until everyone goes out of business and all of the workers get laid off, increasing unemployment.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 940
mahsah replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:27 AM

Bumping this because I'm still really interested in people's opinions on this. It seems like such an obvious connection at first blush, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

"It seems like such an obvious connection at first blush, but I haven't been able to find anything on it."

Now you mention it, this idea is mentioned early on in Keynes' book. He was talking about unemployment caused by unions refusing to accept lower wages, even though the economy was in a sad state and wages had to go down. His solution? Trick the unions by inflating the money supply. That way they will get a lower real wage, but will be too stupid to realize it. Problem solved.

I don't think he was criticized for the logic of this solution. The objection I remember is that unions know all about inflation and will want to protect their real wages too.

So yeah, your reasoning sounds right. Of course it's a high price EVERYBODY ELSE  has pay. All the dollars that anyone in the whole world has will be worth less. They were not asked if they want this to happen, which of course they don't.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Posts 67
Points 940
mahsah replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm still new to Economics so I haven't read the "General Theory" yet (Its pretty low on my reading list...)

Also obviously it has drawbacks in the economy at large, I was just wondering if one of the so called benefits of inflation was just monetary policy counteracting fiscal policy. Thanks for your input,  I'll go look into it some more.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS