Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

OpEdNews article calls Mises & Austrian school morons

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 95
Tim_Shoemaker Posted: Wed, May 5 2010 9:45 AM

This "genius" writes that China's economy is proof that central economic planning works and claims the Austrian & Chicago school have been thoroughly discredited. 

From OpEdNews:

Fortunately for them [China] and for the Western world - which is essentially broke - China is NOT following the Austrian school at all, and they are so far ahead of the Chicago Quants and Austrian (supposedly) free-marketers that those two groups literally can't comprehend how China manages its economy.

The free marketers won't even admit that a managed economy is doable, hence their refusal to see a working model in action. They would rather have periodic booms and busts, than admit their economic model is fundamentally flawed, and fatally too.
China is miles ahead of the U.S. in economic management. It is an economy run by serious economists who learn from their mistakes - and ours - and who are not beholden to political partisanship and game-playing for the sake of the election cycle, from a public who is generally too stupid and selfish to understand how the real economy works.

What are your thoughts?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635

China isn't a managed economy. Faulty premise, bad article.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 275
Gewehr98 replied on Wed, May 5 2010 10:02 AM

"...- and who are not beholden to political partisanship and game-playing for the sake of the election cycle"

Having one ruling party generally  does simplify that nasty little problem, doesn't it?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 6,595
nandnor replied on Wed, May 5 2010 10:12 AM

When the chinese bubble burtsts, they will not be ready for the big surprise. But the austrians, again will be right

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Wed, May 5 2010 10:17 AM

The author seems to imply that wise and benevolent dictators can and will centrally plan economies efficiently and equitably. The incentive problem of the state is the elephant in the room.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, May 5 2010 10:34 AM

Simply ask the author the following:

1.If violently managed economies are superior in China then why not apply this great model to Hong Kong and the surrounding special economic zones?

2.In the same area, why not remove the property rights and other hindrances to the superior performance of the violent managers?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Tim_Shoemaker:

This "genius" writes that China's economy is proof that central economic planning works and claims the Austrian & Chicago school have been thoroughly discredited. 

From OpEdNews:

Fortunately for them [China] and for the Western world - which is essentially broke - China is NOT following the Austrian school at all, and they are so far ahead of the Chicago Quants and Austrian (supposedly) free-marketers that those two groups literally can't comprehend how China manages its economy.

The free marketers won't even admit that a managed economy is doable, hence their refusal to see a working model in action. They would rather have periodic booms and busts, than admit their economic model is fundamentally flawed, and fatally too.
China is miles ahead of the U.S. in economic management. It is an economy run by serious economists who learn from their mistakes - and ours - and who are not beholden to political partisanship and game-playing for the sake of the election cycle, from a public who is generally too stupid and selfish to understand how the real economy works.

What are your thoughts?

I suggest that you write to the author and tell him to put his money where his mouth is, that is, take all of his retirement savings and invest them all in Chinese companies and nothing else. wink

Regards, onebornfree.

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

This is a short video on one of China's ghost towns. They also explain how every bureaucrat is pressured to meet growth rates and the way to do that is build houses nobody needs.

Wouldn't N. Korea be closer to a planned economy? I watched this yesterday, and that country is pretty bizarre.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, May 5 2010 11:07 AM

North Korea doesn't count because we all know that their leaders aren't wise and benevolent. Someone like Obama would turn that country into a paradise.

/s

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,580
Lewis S. replied on Wed, May 5 2010 11:11 AM

I read the article and his point seems to be that China raised required reserves to 16%, thereby staving off a housing bubble.  That's it - the rest of it is just empty rhetoric repeating how good their economy is.  It's like saying the planned economy works because somewhere a government lowered taxes from 50% to 20% and experienced economic growth.  Whoever wrote this piece is blithering idiot.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Lewis S.:

Whoever wrote this piece is blithering idiot.

laugh

[I just love the phrase " blithering idiot."] 

Regards, onebornfree

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

My god did anyone else feel bad for that tea girl?

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Wed, May 5 2010 11:33 AM

My god did anyone else feel bad for that tea girl?

Yes. Considering she was actually quite cute.

Pretty awesome documentary so far.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Watched the whole thing. My gosh, what a hellhole. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS