Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Externalities

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 39 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 175
CalmWalker posted on Sat, May 8 2010 5:51 PM

Im sure this has probably been discussed here before, but I am new. SO I was wondering if somebody could explain for me the austrian perspective on externalities? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Verified by CalmWalker

Im sure this has probably been discussed here before, but I am new. SO I was wondering if somebody could explain for me the austrian perspective on externalities? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Externalities are both positive and negative. If I manicure my lawn, my next door neighbor benefits without paying. If I don't dump my trash from my picnic on the ground at the park, but put it in the dumpster instead, all subsequent visitors of the park benefit without paying. And so on. Even breathing imposes "costs" on others for which the are not recompensed since, in the long run, my expulsion of CO2 reduces the available oxygen for future residents of this planet who may have to pay for air if the population were to become that large. My breathing hastens that day.

The elimination or reduction of negative externalities is a public good. The production of positive externalities is also a public good. Hoppe destroys public goods here:

https://mises.org/journals/jls/9_1/9_1_2.pdf

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
133 Posts
Points 2,670
Verified by CalmWalker

In general, the negative externalities of voluntary human activity are wildly overblown, while positive externalities are usually ignored completely.

Negative externalities are costs not borne by the actors responsible for their imposition. In economic terms, externalities are the costs that are not internalized to the relevant individuals. The non-statist free market solution to externalities is two-fold: property rights and emergent governance. 

1. Property rights.

When you give someone a right to something as their property, you are internalizing the costs imposed on that property to that individual. If you could define and enforce property rights for everything on Earth, you could internalize all the externalities and they would no longer exist. However, that is neither possible nor desirable. Some externalities are minimal, and it's important to note that government interventionism is a net negative for externalities largely due to its operation outside of individual property rights. Government militaries, for example, are by far the largest polluters on the planet. On the whole, the negative externalities imposed on society by government interventionism and state property are greater than any of the externalities it is supposed to have internalized through voting/defining property rights. The net effect of government is negative.

Without government intervention, people naturally define systems of property rights when it is in their interest to do so. Economist Harold Demsetz famously studied American Indians in Quebec  and in the Southwest. The Indians in Quebec spontaneously developed private hunting rights systems when they gained access to trade in the Beaver pelt market. This was because they had significant opportunity cost due to the tragedy of the commons and the rise in profit attainable by hunting beavers. Thus, they created property rights systems to internalize the externalities when the profit incentive to do so increased. The same is true of other externalities. When they get large enough so that the opportunity cost is greater than the cost of setting up and enforcing property rights, property rights systems will emerge.

2. Emergent governance

This is similar to the emergence of property rights systems and happens for the same reason, but it is not private property rights per se. Recent Nobel laureate Elinor Ostrom became famous for case-studies of communities and cities where they established systems of common resource sharing, rules and norms enforced without a government that functioned as governance over the common resource. Thus the externality was internalized by the society through emergent rule systems that came from the bottom-up to deal with the externalities.

There is much more to these solutions and I'd encourage you to look up the literature on the subject if you want a more thorough answer.

Top 500 Contributor
282 Posts
Points 6,595
Verified by CalmWalker

THe problem of externalities has nothing to do with free market capitalism, it is instead a technical problem of enforcing property rights. The state cannot solve this due to being an externality itself, so it is not an argument against free markets but property right enforcement.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Sat, May 8 2010 7:55 PM

Hayekianxyz: "You guys are nuts."

How scholarly of you.

What is it going to take for you people to realize that he's just trolling. Go ahead, and challenge him on his "different point of view".  Let's see what substance you'll get out of him.

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635

CalmWalker:

Well it seems to me that if the best austrians can put up is that "they exsist" then Im going to have to stop believing in free markets...

That cant be the best answer, right?

why are you looking to believe in something? read some mises and decide how to approach externalities, don't depend on people on this forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

What is it going to take for you people to realize that he's just trolling. Go ahead, and challenge him on his "different point of view".  Let's see what substance you'll get out of him.

Yeah.  He should probably be banned because his posts get stupider by the day and it's becoming increasingly apparent that his profile is fake or at least his intentions are.

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325

privatize property, and then externalities are for the most part internalized.  All property has an "advocate" who will defend it, and can seek compensation for rights violations.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Verified by CalmWalker

Externalities are both positive and negative. If I manicure my lawn, my next door neighbor benefits without paying. If I don't dump my trash from my picnic on the ground at the park, but put it in the dumpster instead, all subsequent visitors of the park benefit without paying. And so on. Even breathing imposes "costs" on others for which the are not recompensed since, in the long run, my expulsion of CO2 reduces the available oxygen for future residents of this planet who may have to pay for air if the population were to become that large. My breathing hastens that day.

The elimination or reduction of negative externalities is a public good. The production of positive externalities is also a public good. Hoppe destroys public goods here:

https://mises.org/journals/jls/9_1/9_1_2.pdf

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

"Externality" is a "public good" concept, which is the focus of this short journal:

The Fallacy of Public Goods Theory and the Production of Security

Clayton beat me.

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

We discussed leaded fuel earlier. All other air pollution, smog, greenhouse gases, destroying the ozone layer. Water pollution, like BP. Land pollution is also common.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
133 Posts
Points 2,670
Verified by CalmWalker

In general, the negative externalities of voluntary human activity are wildly overblown, while positive externalities are usually ignored completely.

Negative externalities are costs not borne by the actors responsible for their imposition. In economic terms, externalities are the costs that are not internalized to the relevant individuals. The non-statist free market solution to externalities is two-fold: property rights and emergent governance. 

1. Property rights.

When you give someone a right to something as their property, you are internalizing the costs imposed on that property to that individual. If you could define and enforce property rights for everything on Earth, you could internalize all the externalities and they would no longer exist. However, that is neither possible nor desirable. Some externalities are minimal, and it's important to note that government interventionism is a net negative for externalities largely due to its operation outside of individual property rights. Government militaries, for example, are by far the largest polluters on the planet. On the whole, the negative externalities imposed on society by government interventionism and state property are greater than any of the externalities it is supposed to have internalized through voting/defining property rights. The net effect of government is negative.

Without government intervention, people naturally define systems of property rights when it is in their interest to do so. Economist Harold Demsetz famously studied American Indians in Quebec  and in the Southwest. The Indians in Quebec spontaneously developed private hunting rights systems when they gained access to trade in the Beaver pelt market. This was because they had significant opportunity cost due to the tragedy of the commons and the rise in profit attainable by hunting beavers. Thus, they created property rights systems to internalize the externalities when the profit incentive to do so increased. The same is true of other externalities. When they get large enough so that the opportunity cost is greater than the cost of setting up and enforcing property rights, property rights systems will emerge.

2. Emergent governance

This is similar to the emergence of property rights systems and happens for the same reason, but it is not private property rights per se. Recent Nobel laureate Elinor Ostrom became famous for case-studies of communities and cities where they established systems of common resource sharing, rules and norms enforced without a government that functioned as governance over the common resource. Thus the externality was internalized by the society through emergent rule systems that came from the bottom-up to deal with the externalities.

There is much more to these solutions and I'd encourage you to look up the literature on the subject if you want a more thorough answer.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

"Oh ok, so everytime I act, any effect that action has an any person is transmitted through the price mechanism. That sure does sound reasonable. 

You guys are nuts. "

Exactly what I meant, definatly.

Ok, well, it's not perfect, but here's a quick Wikipedia definition for you (emphasis mine):

In economics, an externality (or transaction spillover) is a cost or benefit, not transmitted through prices[1], incurred by a party who did not agree to the action causing the cost or benefit. A benefit in this case is called a positive externality or external benefit, while a cost is called a negative externality or external cost.

So when you say externalities don't exist, you really are implying that all costs and benefits of a given action will be transmitted through the price mechanism. Perhaps "nuts" was a little strong, but if you really don't believe that there are any external effects from market transactions, I must say I find it a little strange. 

How scholarly of you.

Well, I suppose calling somebody nuts isn't exactly scholarly, but then again, it's not as if I'm the only one lacking decorum around here. Most challenges to Mises.org orthodoxy are met with charges of ignorance, stupidity and malevolence.

Hoppe's analysis is pretty clownish. At the end of his point comes down to saying that if people really wanted public goods, the market would provide them. Which of course misses the whole problem of public goods. Not to mention, Hoppe doesn't realize that externalities and public goods, whilst related, aren't the same thing. 

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
282 Posts
Points 6,595
Verified by CalmWalker

THe problem of externalities has nothing to do with free market capitalism, it is instead a technical problem of enforcing property rights. The state cannot solve this due to being an externality itself, so it is not an argument against free markets but property right enforcement.

Top 150 Contributor
785 Posts
Points 13,445

"So when you say externalities don't exist, you really are implying that all costs and benefits of a given action will be transmitted through the price mechanism. Perhaps "nuts" was a little strong, but if you really don't believe that there are any external effects from market transactions, I must say I find it a little strange."

Which was according to my original definition, they do indeed exist, but there is nothing in that definition which says that the free market cannot rectify the externalities which it causes, or produce postive externalities. If however you expand this definition to say that it is impossible for the market to rectify the original failure then I do not believe that externalities exist.

I might believe that a hedgehog exists, but I don't believe that a flying hedgehog exists. I think that externalities exist, but I don't think that externalities which cannot be rectified by the market exist (or do on anywhere near the scale you claim they do, there might be a small externality or two which aren't important enough for people to wish to rectify)

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
Top 50 Contributor
2,956 Posts
Points 56,800

They seem hard to regulate because by adding a cost to one thing, you add a cost to another.  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
299 Posts
Points 4,430

Acting in kind to as many folks as possible has given me a plethora of more positive than negatative externalities.

Be behaved fellows and good day to all'y'all.

Individualism Rocks

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Sun, May 9 2010 10:18 AM

The government is the biggest externality.  The cost of every one of its actions is always incurred by others.

Top 50 Contributor
2,956 Posts
Points 56,800

DD5:

The government is the biggest externality.  The cost of every one of its actions is always incurred by others.

You mean the cost of government action is borne out by everyone living under the jurisdiction of said government?

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS